Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM

123 posts, read 553,496 times

Advertisements

We've both always wanted to relocate south. My fiance's parents live in SC and are getting older so he'd also like to be closer to them.
He is looking to become a web developer, has an Associate's Degree in Computer Information Systems with concentration in programming. No 'formal experience but a great portfolio and a few smallish projects under his belt and a lot of personal ones.

Currently he has a few yrs as Front Desk Manager, but w
nts web development.

I was told this area of NC is great for this type of job. We can't really take another NH winter and want to move by this fall. Obviously we're worried because of the current recession and finding jobs. He has had a phone interview and not hired though the company is still hiring for the position. I think the problem is living so far away and needing a month or so to relocate.

I'm in school for my Bachelor's degree in HR Mgmt., and will be done @ the end of 2010. I currently have an Associate's Degree in Hospitality and a background in hotels. Currently work in group sales as a coordinator, and don't ever want to work in the front desk or anything again!

This leads me to think we just need to get there and apply for jobs to have a chance at getting one. Recession makes me worry about doing that because who knows when we'd find jobs!

How is this area doing as far as jobs go? Given our backgrounds- do you think we could possibky find something quickly? We'd move with 2 months of expenses saved, too.
Thanks.. sorry its so long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Here's the bad news: people who do what he does are plentiful around here. The recession (not sure why you put quotes around it in the title; it's really a recession) has had a big impact on IT-related jobs. There have been many IT companies or departments laying people off. Do not expect to find a job easily in this economy. It might be easier to get a job if you're already local, but don't move down here unless you have some way to support yourself for AT LEAST 6 months, if not more.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
The company I work for is hiring developers... I think web developers actually, but I think they want people with experience. But yeah, don't lose hope, people are hiring

Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
"...Given our backgrounds- do you think we could possibky find something quickly?" Are you serious?!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
The company I work for is hiring developers... I think web developers actually, but I think they want people with experience. But yeah, don't lose hope, people are hiring
How many applicants are they getting for each job?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
"...Given our backgrounds- do you think we could possibky find something quickly?" Are you serious?!
The hospitality industry is suffering badly.

Do not count on an easy job search here. Wait until conditions improve or you might see the nasty underbelly of poverty here in the South.

It's not pretty. You might be lucky but do try to set up a job first. A new hotel just opened and was immediately swamped with applicants,

Even retail is not good.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM

123 posts, read 553,496 times
Thanks... "quickly" to me means a couple/few months..

Companies are hiring but locals.. so we need to get there to get a job, basically.
I'm thinking this fall, too. Not right now. The economy may be better by then- if at least a little.

I'm not sure why I quoted recession- sorry- I know we're in one, I'm also in a macroeconomics class right now.. but we don't discuss specific state economies all over the u.s. and such.

Perhaps we could move in with his parents for a bit, but they are 5 or so hrs from our target area and South Carolina's job market is worse than our target area!

He's going to keep applying for jobs and hope for the best. What company do you work for that's hiring?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Just to be clear, it's not that companies are ONLY hiring locals. Some companies prefer to hire someone who can start immediately - for obvious reasons.

Living with his parents would at least put you within next-day driving distance for an interview if one came up. You could also spin that in interviews as, "we have no house to sell, blah blah, can relocate immediately from just a few hours away."

Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM

881 posts, read 2,254,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
I think the problem is living so far away and needing a month or so to relocate...

This leads me to think we just need to get there and apply for jobs to have a chance at getting one. Recession makes me worry about doing that because who knows when we'd find jobs!

How is this area doing as far as jobs go? Given our backgrounds- do you think we could possibky find something quickly? We'd move with 2 months of expenses saved, too.
Thanks.. sorry its so long!
I've seen non locals (including people who've posted on this board) who've been hired recently. I think some of it might be in your approach. Instead of saying it's going to take a month to relocate I would start researching some temporary housing options so as soon as one of you gets a job you can give the standard 2 weeks notice and move down right away. The other can tie up any loose ends in NH.

I personally would not be comfortable relocating with only 2 months of living expenses. The job hunt is probably going to take longer.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
How many applicants are they getting for each job?
The jobs haven't been posted yet..so I'm not sure I can answer this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary