Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,515 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for an updated list of the best renovation / remodel companies in the Triangle area.
Looking for high end modern design and quality implementation...and of course, for as reasonable price as we can get for working with a great company.

Looking to do some major work (definitely not just cosmetic)....moving walls, water lines, gas vents, etc. Bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen.

Considering:
Trendmark
Sigmon Construction
Kitchen and Bath Galleries
Cary Remodeling
Blue Ribbon Renovation Company
Furgeson Bath, Kitchen, and Lighting Company

I'd appreciate any recommendations or experiences with these companies.

Thank you!
C-in-the-City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Ferguson is a supply company, not a remodeling contractor.

Your results will likely vary by city/age of house. There's a few GC's who do good work on 60-80 year old downtown Raleigh homes. They're not going to appeal to someone in a 20 year old Cary house that needs modernizing.

What is your style? Are you on the concept/design end (big picture, "make it look like THIS") or do you want to get into the details (an engineer, a detailed estimate, line iteming different estimates, want systematic in-job progress updates)?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CintheCity View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for an updated list of the best renovation / remodel companies in the Triangle area.
Looking for high end modern design and quality implementation...and of course, for as reasonable price as we can get for working with a great company.

Looking to do some major work (definitely not just cosmetic)....moving walls, water lines, gas vents, etc. Bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen.

Considering:
Trendmark
Sigmon Construction
Kitchen and Bath Galleries
Cary Remodeling
Blue Ribbon Renovation Company
Furgeson Bath, Kitchen, and Lighting Company

Thank you!
C-in-the-City
There are different companies that specialize in different corners. In Durham, for instance, there were three fine firms represented on this weekend's Trinity Park home tour -- Riverbank, Acanthus, and Trinity Design/Build. Two of the homes these two builders did will likely resell for over $1 million (both had more than a half-million in renovations done, reputedly.)

But, while I know all three do a ton of work in Durham, I don't know that they work in other parts of the Triangle.

Some of the companies you're mentioning may be suppliers but not renovators. Ferguson, for instance, has great showrooms and products, but they're IIRC an appliance, lighting and fixtures dealer. We bought our kitchen appliances and some of our sinks and faucets from them, but our GC or their subs put them in.

Your best bet may be to find neighbors who've done work you're happy with and get the names of the people who worked on their house. Good contractors advertise, great ones never have to.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CintheCity View Post

Technically, due to the nature of Advameg (company that owns City-Data), policy is to not badmouth companies, so you will generally hear only positive or maybe mildly negative feedback here (assuming everyone is adhering to policy). Advameg does not profit or benefit by making enemies with any company, they're in the marketing business.

Better bet for the positive and the negative would probably be Angies List.

Last edited by jmcstef; 10-20-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,515 times
Thanks for the tip, jmcstef, about the positive feedback policy-- I look forward to receiving the good stories/ experiences!

BoBromhal, the renovation is in Cary and the home is approaching 30 yrs old. I have the "big picture" in mind, but need a design company that will work with me reviewing options, their recommendations considering our space, on getting down to the nitty-gritty in details and the line by line project update as the work is done. We want the company to take us from design concept, to detailed plan, to complete implementation that they manage.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Technically, due to the nature of Advameg (company that owns City-Data), policy is to not badmouth companies, so you will generally hear only positive or maybe mildly negative feedback here (assuming everyone is adhering to policy). Advameg does not profit or benefit by making enemies with any company, they're in the marketing business.

Better bet for the positive and the negative would probably be Angies List.
Actually, that's not correct.

The site doesn't allow members to start threads (or append threads) with consumer complaints that are unsolicited.

However, if a poster who is NOT new to the site asks about a specific company/companies, other posters (who are not new posters) are free to comment on whether or not they'd recommend them, what they don't like about them, what they do like, etc.

If a poster is writing out a rant it will likely be removed, but saying you thought the company being asked about did a bad job on your basement remodel and you would not use them again is totally fine.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:17 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Actually, that's not correct.

The site doesn't allow members to start threads (or append threads) with consumer complaints that are unsolicited.

However, if a poster who is NOT new to the site asks about a specific company/companies, other posters (who are not new posters) are free to comment on whether or not they'd recommend them, what they don't like about them, what they do like, etc.

If a poster is writing out a rant it will likely be removed, but saying you thought the company being asked about did a bad job on your basement remodel and you would not use them again is totally fine.
I'm mostly going by the TOS which say "This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument."

So, the line can get blurry. Obviously a new poster who creates a thread that is obviously to rant about a company is going to get flagged, but what about someone that says "avoid _______, I hired them to do a kitchen remodel and they left me with a disaster". That still leaves Advameg with the TOS dilemma which is that the other side has not been presented.

This is not the case with AngiesList, where a company has the ability to see when they are being spoken about, add a rebuttal that is specific to the person who posted the review (they see their real name, etc).

AngiesList is designed for that sort of thing, whereas Advameg does not benefit from or encourage negative company reviews in any way.

So, I think if someone says "I don't recommend _________" it is kind of useless without knowing the specifics of what happened, and via the TOS they are not allowed to elaborate due to lack of representation on the other side.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,863 times
A good friend had all three bathrooms remodeled by Wake Remodeling. The master bath -- a large one -- was extensively reworked. As a frequent visitor I watched the project from start to finish. Quality workmanship and materials. Owner Luke Dobbins worked with the homeowner to do the design and he closely supervised the work.

Kitchen, Bathroom Remodel, Custom Deck - Wake Remodeling

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary