Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times

Advertisements

American Fitness Index: Raleigh 20th in U.S., first in N.C. - Triangle Business Journal:

Seriously? I am just going off of the number of potbellies I see as well as women who should not be wearing spandex or short shorts but I would think we rank MUCH worse than 20th. But who am I in the grand scheme of things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,065 times
Well the way they calculate it is silly. They looked at things like how many parks there are, how many people have health insurance--nothing to do with people being fit! When magazines like Outside rank them, they seem to make much more sense (places like LA, SF, Denver, SLC, Minneapolis, all those outdoorsy places come in at the top.

NC is definitely NOT a very fit place to me. I've lived many places where everyone is out and about and exercising all the time, and you rarely see a smoker or someone heavy. When we movced to NC I was really surprised to see so many smokers and so many heavy people.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Well the way they calculate it is silly. They looked at things like how many parks there are, how many people have health insurance--nothing to do with people being fit! When magazines like Outside rank them, they seem to make much more sense (places like LA, SF, Denver, SLC, Minneapolis, all those outdoorsy places come in at the top.

NC is definitely NOT a very fit place to me. I've lived many places where everyone is out and about and exercising all the time, and you rarely see a smoker or someone heavy. When we movced to NC I was really surprised to see so many smokers and so many heavy people.
Tobacco and bar-b-que. Two things NC is famous for (neither are healthy).

Old 05-26-2009, 04:45 PM

213 posts, read 698,255 times
I once saw one of these "fittest cities" rankings that actually had Cleveland in the top five or ten a year or two back. Anyone who has ever even passed through that area knows what a joke that is (I'm from the area personally).

I believe this survey also has a couple Texas cities listed on it.

Report: Houston area on fit list - Houston Business Journal:

COME ON!! I love Texas, but just last year Houston and Dallas were ranked among the fattest cities in the country by Men's Health.

Personally, I don't find the Triangle area or North Carolina in general to be that unhealthy (I'm actually pretty impressed with the gym selection, and running and biking paths in the state), but take these "rankings" with a grain of salt.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
And yet:

N.C. earns a 'D'in obesity, exercise - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1545124.html - broken link)

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I've only visited Raleigh as well as other parts of NC several times now. I like the state but I would not call it a very fitness conscious area at all. There are people that are, but compared to some other USA areas I don't see it in NC.

Visit Denver or even here in Portland or San Diego and you will see what I mean. Fitness is part of the culture in those areas. I saw gyms in Raleigh but not any huge amounts. I did notice people that did workout go to Y's there more than other cities I have been to. I think the Y is more popular in NC than some other states that have more gym choices.

Also there are few sidewalks there so people aren't walking for exercise or to bus stops, since there are few buses to begin with. The type and amount of restaurants in a metro area also says alot about what foods are popular there. Just come to Portland, you would think everyone was from the Orient with the primary restaurants being from those countries. Not all the restaurants are healthy here either.

Raleigh is a nice city but it is what it is, a more business oriented capitol city in NC. Fitness conscious citizens it has, but fitness conscious is not really a big personality trait of the area. I think that people basically know that there. These indexes are not realistic measures of anyplace half the time.

Raleigh is probably more Fitness conscious than Charlotte though.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 05-28-2009 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary