Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,398,456 times

Advertisements

I work with Diana and I have to say she was quite shaken up by this. People really need to make sure they not only lock their vehicles, but put everything valuable out of site. Prior, open vehicles were the target. Now they are smashing windows. Please take notice on this. As I have previously posted, the crime trend in Cary seems to be going up.

Cary reports 14 car break-ins this week :: WRAL.com

"Wake County, N.C. — Cary police said Thursday they have received more than a dozen reports of vehicle break-ins in which global positioning systems have been stolen."

"It's horrible. You feel like you're really being invaded," said Diana Lebron, whose GPS was stolen from her car Tuesday night outside her Cary apartment. "It's like, what else are they going to do?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 96,344 times
...so much for Heaven on Earth....

Just tweaking ya...that stuff happens everywhere.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM

66 posts, read 263,268 times
It's probably kids looking for money to pay their speeding tickets for going 40 in a 35.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
I'm not surprised at ALL. That seems to be the crime Du jour in Cary ever since we moved here. It happens to you once, and then you learn to lock your doors and not leave anything in your car.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM

850 posts, read 4,742,635 times
Unfortunately, very common in apartment communities, no matter where you are. Multifamily communities are a theif's playground. I've worked in communities in the area (upscale at that) where 14 were broken into in a night, so 14 in a week in an entire town doesn't really shout "alarming new trend" to me. It does stink though. But it can be easily averted by leaving valuables out of sight and locking your vehicle.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,677 times
my car is right below my window, and im a light sleeper. someone will be getting a nightstand lamp to the head if i wake up to that. >:-(

Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Sounds like organized crime. Hope they catch them. That kind of thing can really ruin a town's crime rate.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
This isn't the Crime du Jour in just Cary, it's the Crime du Jour in the entire country!

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the logic of leaving a $200-$400 device attached to one's windshield whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked, in a safe neighborhood or not. Why tempt the bad guys, or gamble whether they will be prowling or not?

One of the first things I learned when my parents were teaching me how to drive was to never leave anything of even perceived value visible in the car. I grew up in a city that has much higher rates of these types of break-ins and a very high rate of vehicle theft, and I never had a problem during my 11 year driving career there. My parents tell me that where they live the police are advising people to even wipe off the ring left from the suction cup on the GPS mount from their windshield, because thieves are looking for any evidence that a GPS might be in the vehicle.

If you're parked in a lot with a bunch of other cars (such as at an apartment compelx), and the car next to you has something visible in it and yours doesn't, which one do you think the thief will go after? They are looking for easy targets.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
This isn't the Crime du Jour in just Cary, it's the Crime du Jour in the entire country!

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the logic of leaving a $200-$400 device attached to one's windshield whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked, in a safe neighborhood or not. Why tempt the bad guys, or gamble whether they will be prowling or not?

One of the first things I learned when my parents were teaching me how to drive was to never leave anything of even perceived value visible in the car. I grew up in a city that has much higher rates of these types of break-ins and a very high rate of vehicle theft, and I never had a problem during my 11 year driving career there. My parents tell me that where they live the police are advising people to even wipe off the ring left from the suction cup on the GPS mount from their windshield, because thieves are looking for any evidence that a GPS might be in the vehicle.

If you're parked in a lot with a bunch of other cars (such as at an apartment compelx), and the car next to you has something visible in it and yours doesn't, which one do you think the thief will go after? They are looking for easy targets.

Leaving valuables in plain site is the number one rule violation for keeping your car safe, yet so many people do it. Thieves don't break in to cars to look around, they break in because they see the prize worth the risk. Next time you're in a parking lot, glance into other people's cars - you'll be amazed what you see. Bags, CDs, phones, purses, etc. all just lying on the seats.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
it's probably kids looking for money to pay their speeding tickets for going 40 in a 35.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary