Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM

88 posts, read 287,526 times

Advertisements

I hate to even post a topic like this but I am desperate.

After getting laid off I put together a Business that was a hobby of mine that I am very good at.

Well My detailing business is not doing anything . I have been searching all over for a decent job with no luck... Anyone of you guys/gals have any leads?
I'm on the road to losing the house.. I have to do something.

I'm 28 married
I have
Built custom cabinets
Sales plumbing / technology
Worked in a warehouse order picker\receiving manager
Provided thermal coatings for boiler systems throughout the world
I can drive a cherry picker, forklift pallet jack
Good with computers and any electronics
I have a 10 hour OSHA safety card.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM

473 posts, read 1,518,334 times
Sorry - I feel your pain. This Friday I'm out of work one month, but many here have been out of work much longer.

With your cherry picker & forklift experience, have you tried any local public works departments? How about all of those companies loading and unloading out at RDU? And not to mention all the pharm companies in RTP.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM

176 posts, read 645,829 times
AW North Carolina?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorleskyInnovations View Post
I hate to even post a topic like this but I am desperate.

After getting laid off I put together a Business that was a hobby of mine that I am very good at.

Well My detailing business is not doing anything . I have been searching all over for a decent job with no luck... Anyone of you guys/gals have any leads?
I'm on the road to losing the house.. I have to do something.
The unemployment rate here has risen faster than most areas of the country--whatever you do, don't move here without having a job first. Sorry for your situation; a lot of us (more and more each month) are experiencing it firsthand. Even state government is about to do some layoffs here, which is almost unheard of.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,741 times
I think he lives here, already...

Good luck to you!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM

I am at the point where I will do just about anything in the job field as long as I can pay my bills.
I think I have 3 more months of unemployment left.. ( 6 months is max I think?) Between me and my wife we have about $300.00 left after bills not including gas or food.. If i can't find something or loose my unemployment I guess I will loose everything and see if the homeless shelter has any room lol... Just really starting to get down and worried.

PS. I have lived in Wake forest/ Raleigh all my life.

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 06-06-2009 at 04:17 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 04:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
I think I have 3 more months of unemployment left.. ( 6 months is max I think?)
I actually think that you can get 2 extensions. Your first span of benefits will last 26 weeks (6 months). Then you can get an extension of 80% (20 weeks) and then perhaps a second extension of 50% (13 weeks). I just hit 21 weeks so I am very close to the end of my first span. I'm in deep doo-doo if I only have 5 weeks left, but will breathe much easier if I have 38 weeks left.

I may be wrong so you need to contact your ESC office.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM

when you say 80 and 50 % is that of what your getting per week of what you get now?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
when you say 80 and 50 % is that of what your getting per week of what you get now?
No. It refers to duration of benefits. First duration is 26 weeks. Second duration is 20 weeks (80% of 26 weeks). Third duration is 13 weeks (50% of 26 weeks). But. . . . like I said. . . . .I haven't researched this fully and YOU need to call your ESC office and find out what YOUR benefits are.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,867 times
I've been out of work since January. Sucks. The job market has really dried up...it's been increasingly difficult to first, find a job that you believe fits your criteria, be able to at least get a call back (very rare in my case)...and you're really lucky if they even schedule you for an interview. I'd say, of the jobs I've applied for, 9 out of 10 I never hear anything back. And that one particular occasion is usually just a "Thank you for your interest and applying, but this position has been filled, blah, blah." I even hear about job openings that you apply for, then the company decides..."Yeeeeah, we forgot to take that listing down...we have decided to not fill the position due to budget concerns." I was in production management (print/mail/bindery), and alot of these companies are doing exactly what my former company did...lay off, hiring freezes, and cut expenses. There's just not a damn thing out there.

And yeah, I'm about thru my first duration of unemployment. I believe it'll run out in early-to-mid July. If there were no extensions, I'd be royally screwed at this point. But it doesn't mean I won't be screwed later on this year when the benefits run out and the layoffs and crappy job market continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary