Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times

Advertisements

The police I've talked to don't have a problem with people going ten over on the highway, but 15 over and you'll get a ticket. That's not all police though - I'm sure some will pull you for more than 5 over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM

282 posts, read 820,592 times
Yes I agree it is very unlikely, but not impossible. In my case it was because I was a 17 year old in my dad's sporty car.

The question becomes, if it is acceptable to drive ~5 miles over the limit, why not raise all the limits? How much over the limit must you go before it will be strictly enforced? How much over the limit must you go before it becomes truly dangerous? Perhaps the limits are wrong.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyzbo View Post
Yes I agree it is very unlikely, but not impossible. In my case it was because I was a 17 year old in my dad's sporty car.

The question becomes, if it is acceptable to drive ~5 miles over the limit, why not raise all the limits? How much over the limit must you go before it will be strictly enforced? How much over the limit must you go before it becomes truly dangerous? Perhaps the limits are wrong.
If you raise the limit people will drive over that limit. Personally I realized a 30% gain in MPG when I slow from 70 mph to 55 mph. Most cars "sweet spot" is right around 55-60 mph, when the parasite drag from the wind is still low but their engines are producing peak torque.

Not to mention the reduced energy in crashes. Hitting something at 55 is much different and less violent that 70.

I remember back in '97 when I bought my first car, I had an '87 Honda Prelude. The book listed it's best MPG speed. It was posted as 52 mpg IIRC.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
The only time I was stopped for speeding was soon after getting my license, and I was going 60 on a 55 mph highway on a sunny weekday afternoon with few other cars in sight. I was with a friend.

The state trooper who stopped me was well over 6' tall and had mirrored sunglasses. I didn't have my license on me. I was panicky and shaking. But he wasn't taking any action, which made me even more nervous. He was just hemming and hawing.

Finally, in frustration, I thrust both arms out the window to him, so he could snap the handcuffs on, and I said, "SO ARREST ME!"

I did have my registration, and I gave it to him. He said, "Usually, I'd throw the book at you, but because we're neighbors..." And I looked at his name tag and recognized his name -- he was my UNCLE. I hadn't seen him in a few years because of a riff in the family. I couldn't believe it. I threw my upper body out the window and grabbed him by the upper arms and shook him hard, yelling, "UNCLE GEORGE!!!!!!!" (for putting me through all that stress!)

My friend was shocked and kept saying, "Nooooo, he's not your uncle. Noooo!" And Uncle George stuck his big tall self in the window and said, "Yes, she's my niece!" He said he was waiting for me to use his name so I could get out of the ticket. It never even occurred to me!

That was a long time ago. And I've never, ever, had any ticket whatsoever of any kind, my whole life. Not even a parking ticket.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 17,643 times
What about the redlight cameras and the always changing light timings. We seem to be the capitol for red light cameras. I dont run red lights, but the defense that they are there to prevent accidents is obviously untrue. They only cover traffic heading one way and it is rarely at any major intersections where people usually run the lights.

It seems to me that if traffic is able to flow there would be less accidents than if people keep slamming on the brakes at every light (US-64)

Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
cop out this morning on US-1S on the overpass. i went right by him doing 85, so i'm not sure who they're trying to catch...

Old 06-11-2009, 05:46 PM

45 posts, read 150,817 times
ROFL, keep doing 85mph you eventually will get caught!!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
i was trying to pass a tractor trailer and not slow down the people in the left lane too much, so i sped up too much. but i was like...seriously, what bad timing on my part. i feel lucky

Old 06-12-2009, 04:41 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Saw one last night on 540 and 54. Probably getting all those speed demons heading towards the new Sam's Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary