Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times

Advertisements

Luckily...I only have to travel downtown to Clyde Coopers for 'real' BBQ. All in the eye of the beholder... And I prefer to be holdin' an eastern Carolina bbq sammich with slaw...and a hushpuppy or two....or ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^^ Kansas City??? Why in the world would anyone eat there? I mean, they don't even know the difference between a cow and pig!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
In defense of my daughter, I must say it was very late-7:20- they were tired from swimming and we had been riding in the car some time after finding Allen was closed. She simply was shocked at the different taste as we all were since it doesn't look any different than what we were expecting. I always order any kind of sauce on the side for all of us. This is my one kid out of 7 who will eat anything puy in front of her and all of it. She is not quite 7 weighs 38 lbs and I don't know where she puts it. Definitely not a picky eater. She simply whimpered and was moody and very unhappy. No great scene at all. I would never ruin anybody else evening by letting my children cry to the point of people looking and being upset. I doubt anybody else around us was aware of what was going on after her initial reaction.
We have had many people come up to us in public to compliment us on our kids' behavior in public.
To the post who said his/her kids would never cry in public--congratulations for having such predictable and great kids....

Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Default This Yankee loves Eastern Carolina 'Cue!

My first experience was at Smithfield's, and I admit I thought it was a little odd having been raised in the North.

My second experience was at Neil Holden's near Youngsville, and I found the sliced 'Cue (apparently not commonly served) to be great!

I enjoyed my second trip to Smithfield's more than my first.

We found a recipe for Eastern Carolina 'Cue posted by Grizzly Jim (or similar name) on AllRecipes.com. My wife now makes it for me here in Michigan, but she always reserves some of the pork for the syrupy grocery store red sauce which she prefers. The strange thing is that she LOVES pickles! Now I am looking for a small smoker to cook the pork rather than our crock pot, no smoke flavor in a crock pot. Maybe a small smoker that uses gas for heat but wood chips for flavor. My B-I-L uses charcoal fired smokers to do his dry rub ribs, but those smokers are a huge mess and I am hoping to keep things somewhat cleaner.

Eastern 'Cue and Sweet Tea! Life doesn't get much better.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-12-2009 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I'm not a huge fan of eastern NC style BBQ, although if it's not too tangy I can enjoy it. Funny thing is, I've been to BBQ Joint in Chapel Hill many times, and have found their Q to be on the milder side, such that I like it much better than most.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default repy

I am glad that you have become one of the millions of converts. You are correct about the sliced cue. It is mainly a piedmont or Lexington style offering. You know that alot of our barbecue joints will ship out their product on dry-ice overnight. I send it to displaced natives on the wrong side of the mason-dixon all the time.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,570 times
I have to say, people have gotten very defensive about their NC BBQ. I am a huge fan of the thick, tangy, smoky BBQ but cannot get into the vinegar based stuff. It was quite a shock the first time I ate it as it was absolutely unexpected from what I was used to. I love vinegar on my fish and chips, don't get me wrong, but I personally do not like vinegar on my pork....where's the taste of the pork? And I do find it spicy, but not as in hot sauce, curry spicy; it's different. This is coming from trying several places. It's all personal preference. For people coming from outside NC, we do not know that it is a vinegar based BBQ until we try it once. For that, I think the original post is important. We all get great recommendations for BBQ on here, but never is there a warning about the difference.
If you like the thicker, tomato based sauces try the original q-shack in Durham (there's another one somewhere). They have both sauces on the table. Also, Danny's BBQ in Cary and Morrisville. Just ask when you order to make sure the meat you want isn't already in a particular sauce. I love q-shack's smoked sausage with their thick sauce or Danny's pulled pork (which doesn't come in vinegar).

Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
For real barbecue, you've got to travel to Kansas City (Arthur Bryant's or Gates, or the original KC Masterpiece Restaurant in Overland Park, KS).
Been there, done that. Was not impressed.

BBQ is chopped pork (after it's been cooked & smoked w/ oak & hickory wood). A little vinegar based sauce (preferably my family's secret receipe ) is all that is needed.

OP, sorry you guys did not like the bbq. But that's what great.... we're all different and like different things. It would be a boring world if we all ate the same things, or agreed on which is the best bbq. And of course, since you don't like eastern NC 'cue, that just means more for me.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:43 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^^ Kansas City??? Why in the world would anyone eat there? I mean, they don't even know the difference between a cow and pig!

Ever seen the stockyards there? I think they kinda do know the diff. I like variety...good cue is good cue, no matter how/where it's prepared. I'm not all that picky though. LOL!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:54 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Been there, done that. Was not impressed.

BBQ is chopped pork (after it's been cooked & smoked w/ oak & hickory wood). A little vinegar based sauce (preferably my family's secret receipe ) is all that is needed.

OP, sorry you guys did not like the bbq. But that's what great.... we're all different and like different things. It would be a boring world if we all ate the same things, or agreed on which is the best bbq. And of course, since you don't like eastern NC 'cue, that just means more for me.
Tried for rep points but can't give ya any. Was going to say the same exact thing...but didn't want to sound like a 'pig' (thankyouthankyou...i'll be here all day)

To the poster than mentioned getting defensive. Of course we 'que (sorry I'm channeling dansdrive today). You don't trash the BBQ...it's one of the rules of living here. (along with no complaining when we close down the city for 2 inches of snow)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary