Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times

Advertisements

My daughter is struggling with Geometry (I hated it, too, so can't blame her too much), and I found out that Durham Public Schools won't have summer school this year. She basically failed the first semester, so now we're in a push to get her to pass the second. Lots of tutoring, but so far she's not getting it. I hope she gets it soon, so she won't have to repeat it next year!

Sena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:55 AM

144 posts, read 556,112 times
Do the Durham Public Schools offer a program called Novanet? This would be a program where students can take the class on a computer instead of in a classroom setting. This option has been offered in other school systems in the summer, maybe you can ask about that...I am sorry to hear she is struggling in Geometry (that was the hardest one for me also) but with a semester left she still has a chance to pass it!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:41 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,499 times
Granville County will not be offering actual summer school either, it will all be online.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM

86 posts, read 220,707 times
Does your daughter's school have a student-tutoring service? Kids often learn best from other students.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
My daughter is struggling with Geometry (I hated it, too, so can't blame her too much), and I found out that Durham Public Schools won't have summer school this year. She basically failed the first semester, so now we're in a push to get her to pass the second. Lots of tutoring, but so far she's not getting it. I hope she gets it soon, so she won't have to repeat it next year!

Sena
My daughter had some problems with math in elementary school and we hired a tutor but she still didn't get it.

We sent her to Huntington on Creedmoor Road and the difference was amazing! She got it.

In high school, she had a few issues with math so we sent her back to Huntington and again, she got it. She now gets all A's in math and she takes honors classes.

Math is one of those subjects that just keeps building on itself so if you miss getting it at an early age, it seems difficult to catch up. Huntington amazed me as to what they did for my daughter and I would send her back anytime she needs any type of tutoring.

Vicki

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Really, no summer school? They had it last year. And, most schools offer lunch and after school, and weekend tutoring. Especially for math.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Really, no summer school? They had it last year. And most schools after lunch and after school, and weekend tutoring. Especially for math.
I had a parent/teacher conference Thursday night and my daughter's Geometry teacher told me they found out officially there would be no summer school because of budget cuts.

Sena

Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I had a parent/teacher conference Thursday night and my daughter's Geometry teacher told me they found out officially there would be no summer school because of budget cuts.

Sena
Yeah, DPS had to give back money this year to both the state & the county because of review short falls. If your school can't answer questions on how they help with options, call the district office. And don't be afraid to call Carl Harris if you have to. I know DPS is in a tight spot because of demands the state and county have made. But they need to hear from the people these decisions affect directly!

Good luck with finding a solution.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
Default Summer School Options

I am on staff at the only secondary charter school in Durham, nestled in the southern part of the city. We ARE having summer school for high schoolers in need of remediation or enrichment. I recently heard about some of the local districts not having summer school; here is an option for parents and students. Phone the school office for further inquiry.

Kestrel Heights School
4700 S. Alston Ave.
Durham, NC 27713
(919) 484-1300

Dean of Students
William Stubbs

Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
Default Correction...

Effective June 15, 2009, our school will only host summer school opportunities for Kestrel students in middle school. High school students will need to take courses online for remediation and/or enrichment purposes.

This reply follows my earlier posting in Feb.

Wm Stubbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary