Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Before you finish that attic, make sure you won't be pricing yourself out of the neighborhood.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Before you finish that attic, make sure you won't be pricing yourself out of the neighborhood.

Vicki
But does it really matter if you need the space? Our entire street pretty much sold with unfinished daylight basements. The homeowners are slowly finishing them....but both the unfinished and finished ones are still selling.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM

19 posts, read 54,252 times
Default Not sure how to work these "threads and posts" but this is about CLAYTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
A co-worker of mine is starting her initial search for a new home in Clayton. She hasn’t engaged a Realtor yet (but plans to). She came across a listing for a home in the Tafton Subdivision in Clayton that had the description I pasted below. If she were working with an agent at this point I’m sure he/she could answer these questions, but maybe some folks here can shed some light as to what some of the comments in the description mean?

Listing Description:

“EXPANDABLE RANCH on gorgeous wooded lot! 900 SF unfinished 2nd floor. LR w/gas log FP. Custom woodwork, 9' smooth ceilings & upgraded appliances. Master w/bay window, WIC, dual vanity, tub & sep shower. Screened porch & oversized 2-car garage. Excellent schools. Optional Swim, Tennis, & Golf nearby. Wendell Post Office. LA has ownership interest. Dim & SF form builder's plan.”

What makes something an Expandable Ranch? Is that merely a reference to the fact that there is enough land on the lot to do an addition?

What do they mean when they say it has 900 square feet unfinished in the second floor? Is that the attic? It is a ranch so how does it have a second floor?

What Does “LA has ownership Interest” mean?

What makes something an “Oversized” two car garage? What is a the size of a standard tow car garage?

If anybody knows what some of these statements mean your input would be greatly appreciated by my fellow house hunter!

Thanks!
I live in Tafton and the house you are speaking of is my model. I could easily tell you why we picked it and the reasons are listed here by many other people. Ida Odom is the main listing agent here. LOVE HER. Been dealing with her for years - even in other subdivisions. The builder everyone is talking about is her husband - he owns Homecraft Properties. There ARE other builders here, for example Scott Lee, but Ida and Ruffin pretty much own this land and decide who builds and who doesn't. To me doesn't matter much because Homecraft does an awesome job and I like working with him and his property manager. They are very fair. Really don't want to comment on the Scott Lee homes. Never know who's out there watching...!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,594 times
Where exactly is Tafton? I'm looking for a ranch with less than an acre but with plenty of trees.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbteach View Post
Where exactly is Tafton? I'm looking for a ranch with less than an acre but with plenty of trees.
If you're driving on Buffalo (away from 42) toward Covered Bridge, you're going to make a right at that light in the intersection of Buffalo/Covered Bridge. Then take your 2nd right onto Cecil Road. Your first left is onto Tafton Drive into the S/D. The new houses are being built in the back on Barrette Lane....from Tafton Drive, take a right onto Annali Way and then a left onto Barrette. Barrette is actually a U off of Annali so you can make either hte first left or 2nd left.

There are still many lots to be cleared and built upon. Most are about .66 of an acre with most having about 50 feet of wooded trees in the back. There are also several homes for sale...two with the unfinished upstairs...so basically ranches as they have the 3 bdrms down.

Hope that helps.
Lauren

Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

237 posts, read 915,226 times
Default why so many homes for sale

Can any one answer that??? 985 homes for such a small town where the heck is everybody going ??????????? I know clayton stinks because of the sewer/water plant and it has the highest crime per cap. next to durham of course. But I though it was nice there , but it worries me that there are more houses for sale than cary and cary is 10 times the size. If anyone knows what is up with the clayton area?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
Can any one answer that??? 985 homes for such a small town where the heck is everybody going ??????????? I know clayton stinks because of the sewer/water plant and it has the highest crime per cap. next to durham of course. But I though it was nice there , but it worries me that there are more houses for sale than cary and cary is 10 times the size. If anyone knows what is up with the clayton area?
First of all, Clayton most certainly does NOT stink. Assuming you meant in an odorsome way. If your opinion is that the town stinks meaning you don't like it...then different strokes for different folks.

Clayton is a rural farm community under development. Subdivisions are being built while we speak. Cary is already developed.....to the gills. Clayton still has empty space....and alot of it...for now.

The other issue is that there are many areas OUTSIDE the city lines of Clayton that are considered Clayton but aren't really...if you get my drift. I live in one such place. My address is Wendell but I'm in Johnston County and my kids go to Clayton schools. There are many areas like ours that eventually will be annexed into Clayton or whatever township handles their mail. THAT is how there are so many homes for sale. OUR house was listed as Clayton so that the proper schools would show up on the listing. It's a much bigger area that you're thinking.

The other issue is that the crime rate is boosted by non violent crimes...in developing areas there tends to be alot of theft. Assuming ALOT of them involving new homes being built.

Back to our regularly scheduled program....
Lauren

Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
But does it really matter if you need the space? Our entire street pretty much sold with unfinished daylight basements. The homeowners are slowly finishing them....but both the unfinished and finished ones are still selling.
I had a situation last year where the seller had finished off the upstairs in their home. Problem was that it was now the largest home in the neighborhood. Seller wanted $180,000 for the house in a neighborhood that was typically $150s and $160s. It was hard to find a buyer that wanted to spend $180,000 in that neighborhood when there were other neighborhoods much nicer.

Sometimes its difficult to explain to a seller that even though they spent $20,000 finishing off the space that they NEED, when it comes time to sell, they are not going to get that $20,000 back.

Its just educating yourself to the market. That was my point.

Vicki

Old 08-28-2007, 12:55 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Highest crime per cap. next to Durham???
Uh-huh.
And where, may I ask, did you get that info?

Newer subdivisions in Clayton, lots of new homes going up and some of the folks in the older homes are moving into the newer ones.

I really think you got your info wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary