Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 AM

45 posts, read 178,831 times

Advertisements

Took the family (wife and 2 kids under 2yo) to see the fireworks @ Koka Booth over the weekend and wanted to share our experience. We went 2 years ago before our kids and had a great time on the lawn but didn't want to sit in the heat for an extended time with the little ones. We wanted to be able to go for 1-2 hours, hear the symphony, and then watch the fireworks.

Tickets for 4 seats - $125 + Ticketmaster charges & fees = US $ 159.50

1) Couldn't hear anything from the symphony due to all of the people walking around, going to the bathroom, buying things at the concessions or stopping to talk to friends or family they meet.

2) There were people with no tickets all over sitting in between the tables on benches or other vacant tables. From 7pm we saw a number of tables occupied by non-ticketed tweens and saw actual ticket owners coming late only to find a messy table. We didn't see any staff coming to check tickets. If you want a table next year, just wait till about 7:30pm and sit in an open table.

3) Fireworks. Where are they? Oh, the loud bright flashing things above the roof and trees? Certainly can't see them from the paid seats.

Save your money and stick to the lawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM

17 posts, read 67,837 times
sorry to hear that. I was there but out under the pine trees.

Everytime we walked near the concessions, I felt sorta bad for the folks seated at the tables at the edge of the crowd. there was barely enough room for the people to walk past. I'm sure those folks seated there got a lot of elbows and bumps throughout the evening.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
We were going to go, and take the kids, but my sister in law was just too worn out (bless her heart ). I ended up buying a big package of fireworks at the Harris Teeter and setting them off in the back yard.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:01 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
I also sat under the pine trees. Next year, just do that. We got there at 4:15 and there was plenty of room under the trees, which surprised me since that was the only shady area at the time. We were never in the sun (versus the people in the middle/lawn area who were in the sun until it went down!) and even had a slight breeze. I could see/hear the stage and also see fireworks. I would totally recommend doing that. We got a great parking spot in the 2nd lot, and were out quickly since we were at the back. It was am accidentally awesome strategy!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,890 times
Try Brier Creek fireworks next year. We had front row seats in the parking lot, near target. Really enjoyed them for the second year in a row.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 178,831 times
We usually don't splurge like this and wanted to do something special for our first fireworks as a family. Real disappointment and won't go again. I didn't know Brier Creek had fireworks and might try that next year. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
Now that we have moved I'll share my fireworks spot in Cary! We used to get a pizza and show up maybe an hour early in the parking lot of Foodlion on Kildaire Farm Rd. at Penny Rd. Parked near the back of the lot closest to Kildaire Farm. Perfect location. Good view. Fast getaway.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 PM

76 posts, read 176,234 times
I thought it sounded so romantic to go hear/see the symphony then see fireworks over the lake after. I had no idea that there would be so many people, that we would have to park so far away, that others would have "staked their claim" on good spots earlier in the day by placing tarps on the ground in prime locations and showing up much, much later in the evening.

We also sat under the pine trees--on the chairs we took with us; we were at least close enough to hear the symphony somewhat. I got to see them and hear them better when my honey and I stood in line for 25 minutes to get a glass of wine (didn't know we could have [apparently] brought our own as many others under the pines had done). It was so hot there and we wondered how the people who paid for those tables could stand the heat and noise of the concessions.

We put our chairs away a bit early and walked to the road and watched the fireworks from there. We made it back to our car in quick order and got home to Durham in good time. Overall, it wasn't a bad evening, just not at all what I had anticipated. I will not try it again next year, however.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 AM

131 posts, read 726,028 times
I have to agree with the OP here. I didn't shell out any money for reserved seats, and I'm certainly glad I didn't. It sounds like it would've been a total waste of money. I did, however, show up at about 4:30 to try and grab a decent spot on the lawn and I managed to get a place to the left of the stage almost under the trees. Little did I know that I wouldn't even be able to see the fireworks because of the trees. It also really irritates me that people come in early and stake out large areas of lawn with their chairs and blankets, but don't show up until about 7:30 for the show. I feel that it's completely unfair to those who actually show up early and occupy their spot as we all wait for the show to start. I wish that the amphitheater staff would stop people from doing this and it would also be nice if they would close the gates around 7pm to limit the number of people coming in. I could barely enjoy the symphony due to the people walking in front of me and around me dragging lawn chairs, coolers, unruly kids, and the kitchen sink to boot while they yell at one another about where to find a spot. Do people really think that they can show up at 7pm and find a place left to sit? The entire experience was less than enjoyable and I doubt I'll try to go back again for July 4th unless the staff learns to manage the crowd a bit better.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,706 times
The "reserved seats" are a joke. I went to a concert a few years ago, worrying that I hadn't gotten the reserved seats. When I saw what was considered "reserved", I was glad I hadn't wasted the money. Hopefully the OP will have a better 4th next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary