Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 PM

22 posts, read 36,757 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move to Fayetteville from San Jose, CA this year to be with my boyfriend. As an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager/Bookkeeper, it seems that my best employment opportunities are in the Triangle. I currently average an hour in stop & go traffic to get 20 miles to work. I've been told it is about an hour between Raleigh and Fayetteville. Is there much rush hour traffic? I don't mind driving for an hour if I'm actually moving! Are there rideshares or transit options? Any info will be very appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,309 times
You may have a chance to find a job in the area. Ft. Bragg is bringing in a population of about 40,000 people in the next couple years. The counties surround the fort are going to explode...

So the local economy is going to be forced to grow rapidly because of this (opposite from the rest of the country), and they are predicting like 19000 new jobs created.

Raleigh is bigger and may have higher pay, but the competition is stiffer.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM

715 posts, read 1,040,502 times
drgirlfriend-
My two-cents re: commute time Fayetteville to the Triangle. I think it's well more than one hour to drive between Fville and the Triangle, even in the most ideal of conditions/times-of-day. Probably looking at 1 1/2 hours to 2, depending on which part of the Triangle we're talking about.
We moved from FL to the Triangle, so we still drive that I-95 corridor to FL to visit Florida friends on occasion and that haul from Raleigh to Fayetteville is 1 1/2 hours or so in normal traffic, as I recall it.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,541 times
WELL more than an hour! The Triangle is a huge area. The time it might take could vary by up to an hour just within the Triangle, not counting the time it takes to drive from Fayetteville to the Southern border of Raleigh.

When I first moved here I lived in Clayton and worked in Research Triangle Park and it was an hour to an hour and a quarter each way. I was leaving home before traditional rush hour and leaving work before traditional rush hour and it was still a l-o-n-g drive.

I just did a little Mapquesting... From the Cross Creek Mall (in the middle of Fayetteville) to my office in RTP is about 90 miles.

From Cross Creek to my boyfriend's office (in the heart of Raleigh) is 76 miles.

How long it would take to drive that would depend on a lot of things but maybe this will give you some idea of what you'd be up against in a daily commute.

Jenny_B

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM

22 posts, read 36,757 times
Thanks to all of you for your input! Now I have a better idea of what's what. Here's hoping Maabus1999 is right and I can find something close. Do you guys & gals know of local job search resources? Craigslist seems a little sketchy on anything outside of the major cities. And pardon my ignorance, but do they employ civilians at Ft. Bragg and Pope AFB?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,466,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgirlfriend View Post
Thanks to all of you for your input! Now I have a better idea of what's what. Here's hoping Maabus1999 is right and I can find something close. Do you guys & gals know of local job search resources? Craigslist seems a little sketchy on anything outside of the major cities. And pardon my ignorance, but do they employ civilians at Ft. Bragg and Pope AFB?
Yes, they employ civilians at almost all of the military bases (my dad and sister work at an Air Force Base as civilians). You should check out this website: USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site . You may also try to find out the base's website and search their civilian personnel area (if they have one).

You can also search Monster, CareerBuilder and Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed (compiles all jobs for all employers in a region).

Sena

Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 PM

66 posts, read 263,256 times
I drive from North Raleigh to downtown Fayetteville regularly at morning rush hour and it takes 1 hour 5 minutes, and there is virtually no traffic on I40 or I95. Coming into Raleigh is probably a different story. I also speed about 10-15 over the entire way. It'ts about a 70-80 mile trip.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,800 times
There are 3 shuttle buses that go out from the Food Lion on 301 in downtown Fayetteville to RTP. Does anyone know the name? I know it is Triangle, but uncertain about the rest of the name????

Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,987,184 times
I just sold a house to a couple who plan to do the same. Husband works on Bragg and wife wants to work in Raleigh. We found a nice house for them just outside Angier. Sanford might be another option.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,800 times
Anyone who does not want to travel by themselves can vanpool through Triangle Transit. You can ride for approximately 20.00 per week. If you go to Triangletransit.com, and go to vanpool, it lists all the start and end destinations. There is also a listing for seats available, and tells how you can start a vanpool if the one you need is full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary