Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM

26 posts, read 122,439 times

Advertisements

Okay- all you parents with children in year round schools- what do you do with the kids during "Track outs"?????? This is my biggest concern right now with our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq76 View Post
Okay- all you parents with children in year round schools- what do you do with the kids during "Track outs"?????? This is my biggest concern right now with our move.
There are tons of track out camps, day cares and activities set up for the kids.

As more and more schools go to this schedule...there are going to be even more things for parents to choose from.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:48 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,952 times
I had one child in middle school and one in elementary. They were on seperate tracks.....It was horrible. Then my son finally made it into middle school and my daughter went into high school. The high school was on traditional schedule and my son was still on tracks..... Can you believe it. Not fun for summer vacations, plus my kids never had the off time to bond together as much as kids that are together.
Don't like the track system at all. Two years after my daughter graduated, and my son was in high school, they stopped the "track" system in all the schools of Escondido. I had terrible timing that is for sure.
Good luck, I feel your pain.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Well my twins have speech & language delays so I really have no problem with the track system per se as they require year round school- they will be in the same grade so I am going in knowing that there may very well be seperate tracks for the two of them.

But what to do with them during track outs is my issue. I make my own hours here so when they're off two weeks at the end of regular session and three weeks at the end of summer session I just work nights and weekends. However, in Raleigh I will be working in a "regular" office and that won't work.

I looked up track camps and they were like 200 bucks a kid per WEEK! Now those were only the ones advertised on the internet- I'm just hoping they're not all like that...

Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Well my twins have speech & language delays so I really have no problem with the track system per se as they require year round school- they will be in the same grade so I am going in knowing that there may very well be seperate tracks for the two of them.

But what to do with them during track outs is my issue. I make my own hours here so when they're off two weeks at the end of regular session and three weeks at the end of summer session I just work nights and weekends. However, in Raleigh I will be working in a "regular" office and that won't work.

I looked up track camps and they were like 200 bucks a kid per WEEK! Now those were only the ones advertised on the internet- I'm just hoping they're not all like that...
That is pretty much what most camps and child care is going to cost. You can find cheaper ones I am sure...but that is average from what some of my friends pay and what we used to do for summer day camp.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 PM

Wow! Summer camp here is a lot less expensive- 500 per month per kid and thats for the better ones.

Sleep away camp is 200-300 per week.

Do the YMCA's charge that much?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Wow! Summer camp here is a lot less expensive- 500 per month per kid and thats for the better ones.

Sleep away camp is 200-300 per week.

Do the YMCA's charge that much?
Summer camp is very expensive down here....which is why, even with the added expense of flying her up there, we still send our daughter to her her resident camp in Michigan (though it is a bit more then 300$ a week as well.)

Camp Katana (YMCA) is pretty much booked for the summer I am told and I believe the fees for resident camp in 550$ a week (or near there). I am not sure if that is for Y members or not.

The Factory Icehouse has sports day camps - those run 245$ a week with lunch.....cheaper if the kids pack their own. That is 8:30 to 5:00....so before and after care is more.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 AM

225 posts, read 954,373 times
Quote:

A fun activity we discovered on my sons last track out:

Letterboxing

You can go to letterboxing.org for more information

Last edited by jgmarie; 04-26-2007 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
gen

39 posts, read 207,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
A fun activity we discovered on my sons last track out:

Letterboxing

You can go to letterboxing.org for more information
Wow jgmarie! Thanks for the letterboxing idea! I never heard of it before now, and I just think letterboxing is the neatest activity... I've been looking for a fun, and not so expensive, hobby with the girls... Going out this weekend! Wish us good luck...

Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,186 times
The City of Raleigh has an excellent year round and summer camps with really good hours and pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary