Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 14,336 times

Advertisements

Driving to work on the 440 this morning, I almost got into a serious accident. Another car, ahead but still partially aside of me in the lane to my left, started moving into my lane without signaling. I had to brake sharply to avoid being sideswiped, then I almost got rear-ended by the pickup truck following too close behind me. Both of the other drivers were talking on cell phones at the time.

I was lucky that I was paying close attention or I could have been killed!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:58 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,348 times
Drives me crazy too... I don't understand why certain people have to be on the cell phones for any extended period of time while driving? While it's unsafe, I can understand a quick 1-2 minute chat while behind the wheel--anything beyond that is a complete disregard to the safety of others.

I'm probably bias though, because I hate conversing over the phone anyways..

Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 256,899 times
Default It's time to ban cell phone use by drivers

Just this week the New York Times reported on how the NHTSA had withheld publishing hundreds of pages of research on the dangers of cell phone use by drivers. [See http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/te...istracted.html]

The research is clear: talking on a cell phone is highly distracting to one's abilities to operate a motor vehicle safely, and makes the driver as likely to cause an accident as if the driver had a blood alcohol level of 0.08% (legally drunk in NC and many states). Also, having a hands-free phone may make dialing safer, but does nothing to improve safety during the conversation, so laws which outlaw non-hands-free phones do not help.

It is time to get serious about this problem, and ban all non-emergency use of cell phones by drivers. That is the only way it is going to get better.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
First, I just don't know how we survived in the olden days without cell phones. Yes they are good to have in an emergency but I see more and more people with these phones attached to their ears while driving and not paying attention.

Second, if you must talk, there are bluetooths and headsets out there that are so cheap it isn't funny. Spend a few bucks and get one.

Third, I always thought and always will that they should be banned when you are driving. If it is that important for you to make a call then pull over and do it.

Sorry, but I have had too many near misses locally and on the highway and this really bugs me.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Second, if you must talk, there are bluetooths and headsets out there that are so cheap it isn't funny. Spend a few bucks and get one.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just released data showing that hands free devices do not significantly reduce the distractions of talking on the phone while driving.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/te...d.html?_r=1&hp

Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
Just this week the New York Times reported on how the NHTSA had withheld publishing hundreds of pages of research on the dangers of cell phone use by drivers. [See http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/te...istracted.html]

The research is clear: talking on a cell phone is highly distracting to one's abilities to operate a motor vehicle safely, and makes the driver as likely to cause an accident as if the driver had a blood alcohol level of 0.08% (legally drunk in NC and many states). Also, having a hands-free phone may make dialing safer, but does nothing to improve safety during the conversation, so laws which outlaw non-hands-free phones do not help.

It is time to get serious about this problem, and ban all non-emergency use of cell phones by drivers. That is the only way it is going to get better.
We have a cell phone law in NY and it's a joke. Stand on any busy street corner and 80% of the people driving thru will be on the phone. You can legally talk hands-free but as pp pointed out that is really not any less dangerous. Just makes people feel better.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM

72 posts, read 256,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You can legally talk hands-free but as pp pointed out that is really not any less dangerous. Just makes people feel better.
I pointed this out too in the text which you quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
Also, having a hands-free phone may make dialing safer, but does nothing to improve safety during the conversation, so laws which outlaw non-hands-free phones do not help.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
So it's like everyone is driving while impaired (or worse).

Will anyone do anything about it? I doubt it. It's too ingrained in society.

If I absolutely positively need to call someone while in the car, I wait for a red light.

But family and friends -- when they call me, it seems they're driving 90 percent of the time. I always imagine hearing a big CRASH and then silence. I know, I have an overactive iagination, but it's so stupid to drive while talking on the phone.

But nobody will ever do anything about it.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,133 times
Talking is one thing but Facebook and Twitter has made texting while driving, trying to keep up with posts, the worst cause for distraction. And there are also people that are not suppose to be driving let alone multitask with their phones.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Music distracts. Changing the radio station or the climate controls distract. Swapping CDs distracts. GPS's distract. Talking to the passenger in the seat next to you distracts. Yelling at the kids in the back distracts.

There are lots of distractions while driving, and all of them add to the risk of accidents. I doubt any of us can claim we always drive 100% distraction free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary