Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:18 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times

Advertisements

My kids are out of school from April 1-April 11. We are trying to get them to Dad's house in Cary for the week. Would a trip to Myrtle beach during that time be feasible? Or Wilmington? Will both towns be crowded?

And will there be anything to do (since it will be too cold to swim) They enjoy beachgoing without swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
What do you mean feasible? (I don't know why it wouldn't be feasible.)

The Azalea Festival is April 7 to 11 in Wilmington and is crowded. But it's fun. http://www.ncazaleafestival.org/ I went years ago, and there was a huge parade with more beauty queens than I'd ever seen in my life. Then the festival on the riverfront was absolutely mobbed. I don't know about hotel vacancies.

There is most likely more to do in Myrtle Beach than Wilmington because it is far more touristy. I think kids would like the Myrtle Beach area better. http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/play/

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
My kids are out of school from April 1-April 11. We are trying to get them to Dad's house in Cary for the week. Would a trip to Myrtle beach during that time be feasible? Or Wilmington? Will both towns be crowded?

And will there be anything to do (since it will be too cold to swim) They enjoy beachgoing without swimming.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-06-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I like Myrtle Beach necause its cheap during the off season
I use kayak.com (lol no affiliation)
I just did a search and you can stay at a nice hotel not motel
for around $45 bucks per night during april 2nd til 10th
on the Grand Strand
I stayed at one hotel and im trying to find it and it had heated
indoor pool, sauna, fitness center, bowling alley game room etc
Ill see if I can find it, but it will take me a bit
http://www.kayak.com/r/RLXQpE

Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I think the kids would like MB better. Just my honest opinion.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I found a few nice hotels that are less than 90 bucks per night. Ill send you a Direct message
of the links since we cant post that type of link far as I know of.
Give me til 9 pm
thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 05:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times
I guess i was thinking partly of traffic...Driving to FL from NY and back during spring break is reported to be very trafficy and highly hazardous....I don't want to spend any time sitting on a highway.

So if NC schools don't have an Easter/spring break the traffic from Cary to the beach wouldn't be problematic?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
No traffic problem. The busiest time is 4th July and such. But I've been then and it's ok.

I'd choose MB, so much for kids to do. My 12 yr old loves it! The last time we went I took the family to Medieval Times, coupons should be avail on line. We all had a blast! Business is down for them and so they've been offering some great deals.

The show is very good, colorful, beautiful horses, action. Get there early enough to see the preshow stuff, a hawk with handler, etc. Our waiter was a black guy that sounded EXACTLY like Eddie Murphy as Donkey on Shrek....hilarous! to top it off, he called all the food, something "dragon".The cornbread fingers were baby dragon toes? Roast ckn, baby dragon. He, and the show kept us and the kids entertained for a couple of hrs - I highly endorse it!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I guess i was thinking partly of traffic...Driving to FL from NY and back during spring break is reported to be very trafficy and highly hazardous....I don't want to spend any time sitting on a highway.

So if NC schools don't have an Easter/spring break the traffic from Cary to the beach wouldn't be problematic?
I just want to let you know that there is a lot of construction in Georgia, especially around Brunswick. Be prepared to lose some time there. I make the trip to Florida about 3-4 times a year many times during holiday breaks. I usually end up losing two or more hours in Georgia because of the traffic and construction.

Jacksonville, Fl. has construction too. And depending on how far you go down I95, different areas have work going on, especially the further south you go.

A lot depends on what days you travel, but my son and daughter-in-law left here to go to Savannah to see family and the normal 7 hour drive turned to 10. That was over Christmas and was in the middle of the week.

So just allow yourself enough travel time and be careful.

Hope your kids have fun!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
Definately Myrtle Beach.

Wilmington is nice but the only thing for kids there are a couple of musuems and the battleship. Fun for a few hours, but that's about it.

Myrtle Beach on the other hand, is EXCELLENT year round. Since you will be visiting during the off peaks hours, DO YOUR RESEARCH NOW. Medieval Times, Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach, Alligator Landing, Safari Jeep Tour, Magiquest and so much more.

When I say do your research now, that means sign up for newsletters, go to their websites for coupons, etc. Right now, Medieval Times charges about $50 per person. If you sign up for their newsletter, its One adult, one child free. Alligator landing has online coupons, there's also a Nascar track, etc. Just Google Mrytle Beach coupons (sunny savers is one of my personal faves.)

If you need a hotel, the only one to go if you have kids (and yes, they have great rates, sign up on the website once again, lol) is Long Bay Resort. Great location, indoor pool with lazy river, huge chess, checker, ping pong, shuffle board, game room, etc. Starbucks downstairs.
Seriously, you can't go wrong. Either email me for the link or just google Long Bay Resort Myrtle Beach.

Have fun!!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
Also, the KOA has some activies during Easter weekend if you want to go camping. They have some really nice cabins, just bring an air mattress. The ones on the bed are awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary