Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 PM

238 posts, read 228,087 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in Hillsborough and work in Cary or Raleigh? Is the commute insane?

Are there any IT jobs (Computer networking) in the Hillsborough environs? I've read that Chapel Hill doesn't have many jobs outside of UNCH--is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
The fastest I have ever gotten from Hillsborough to Cary or Raleigh was about 45 minutes. And that was in the middle of the afternoon with zero traffic.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:09 PM

191 posts, read 236,264 times
It is true that there are few jobs in Chapel Hill proper but there are plenty in Derm.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM

But I thought that Durham wasn't really the safest area. I am concerned about my husband working in the equivalent of DC area downtown.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:12 PM

191 posts, read 236,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
But I thought that Durham wasn't really the safest area. I am concerned about my husband working in the equivalent of DC area downtown.
He'll be okay.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:14 PM

BargainMom, please take the time to read the past threads in this forum. You'll get a much better feel for the Triangle if you do a bit of research.

Not all of Durham is dangerous. Most of the crime is relegated to a small area of town.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 PM

Hi Mrs. Steel,

I understand that. I just figure that in troubled times, riots, etc...all bets are off. I'd rather have my husband way out of the line of fire, as it were.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 PM

We don't have a riot problem in Durham. Just a higher crime rate in certain areas, as one would find in any city. The majority of the town is very safe.

Again, please go back and read the long history of threads that already exist in this forum. It is a wealth of information for those who chose to take advantage of it.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Hi there,

I will. Do you personally live in Durham or Hillsborough?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,486 times
Bargainmom,
I live in Chapel Hill. When we moved to the area a year ago, ITB and Chapel Hill were the only areas I would consider. My husband suggested we look at Durham and I would not do it b/c I thought crime was really a problem there.

We love Chapel Hill, but I have recently started looking around more, talking to more people, driving to different areas. There are parts of Durham (very far away from the higher crime areas) which are GORGEOUS. Homes cost $4Million in one area I drove through the other day. I can assure you no one would be spending $4Million to live in an unsafe part of Durham.

If you look at a map (I don't mean that in a mean way), you will see that Durham is HUGE. Part of one area is unsafe (in my opinion). There are areas which are nothing but farmland. There are areas which are really nice older neighborhoods, really nice newer neighborhoods, and everything in between.

I would really suggest doing as Mrs. Steele suggests and looking through past threads on Durham. Also, take a look online at the higher priced real estate in Durham. Even though that's not your price point, you'll see that there are clearly some gorgeous areas.

The area I went to a few days ago is called Hope Valley. Check that out. Amazing multi-million dollar homes, but in other parts of Hope Valley are homes for far less. Still a safe, friendly part of Durham.

I've also just started learning about Hillsborough, and don't know enough to comment, but do know enough to know that I should have looked there too.

Again, we love Chapel Hill, but I would at least have LOOKED at Durham and Hillsborough before buying if I had not been stuck in my (incorrect) stereotype of Durham (I hadn't even heard of Hillsborough!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary