Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 PM

24 posts, read 52,490 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I will be relocating in or around the Cary area, and will be starting our family there as well. We currently reside in Southern CA and with the summers here come a lot of community and city activities like movies in the park, fairs, farms etc.
Could you please list some family friendly or your favorite kid friendly activities in or around the Cary area?
An example would be something like pumpkin patches in the fall, or tree lighting's in the winter, things like that. Website links with any additional info would also be greatly appreciated! I usually search on the city/neighborhood sites and we also currently get a community paper, is there anything like that distributed in Cary?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM

24 posts, read 52,490 times
Wow! Nothing? I was hoping to get some ideas.....

Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
A couple of fall ideas (neither of which is in Cary).

My favorite pumpkin patch:

Ganyard Hill Farm: Old-fashioned fun in Durham, NC

Don't miss the NC State Fair in October:

2009 N.C. State Fair - Whole Lotta Happy! (http://www.ncstatefair.org/2009/ - broken link)

Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I think the silence is because there is so much and we don't know where to start. This place is full of families and lots of children and there is something happening every minute. Alot of folks think because we are so close to universities, there must not be many young kids but nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 AM

93 posts, read 326,502 times
I think it is so cute that you are looking to plan family friendly activities when you don't even have kids yet!

So maybe the lack of response was related to some thinking that you are a bit premature. Cary Parks and Rec has TONS of stuff going on year round.

And here is a publication of the school district that you might find interesting. Community Services | Lifelong Learning with Community Schools (http://cs.wcpss.net/lifelonglearning.php?body=summershine.php - broken link)

Old 10-02-2009, 11:03 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think the silence is because there is so much and we don't know where to start. This place is full of families and lots of children and there is something happening every minute. Alot of folks think because we are so close to universities, there must not be many young kids but nothing could be further from the truth.
Agreed. Your questions is very broad. A list of everything interesting that happens here in a year would take more time and room than most posters can probably manage. You can get a lot of answers by searching this board for past threads, e.g.:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...eigh-area.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ttle-kids.html

You might want to join the Triangle Mommies web site.

It's a good idea to check the web sites for the Town of Cary and the City of Raleigh (not to mention Apex, Durham, and whatever other municipalities interest you) for their Arts & Recreation offerings.

Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill has good listings of current activities. Cary News | Front also has some info.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
In my opinion, there is WAY more to do along those lines than when we lived in the Chicago burbs (or even Chicago propper). I am sure someone somewhere would disagree with me, but as far as the types of activities that my family likes to do -- there is way more here. I don't know how many times we ended up going to the indoor mall up there just because there was nothing else to do and we got cabin fever being home. Of course the climate was an issue.

You can join the Triangle Mommies board as someone mentioned and look under 'events and happenings" and you can pick up Carolina Parent for more ideas. Don't worry, there is plenty to do (and nice weather to enjoy year 'round).

Tomorrow we are going to Heritage Festival at one of the Raleigh parks. It's free and fun for kids. Last year it was great and not overcrowed like the "free" Chicago events for which you paid $20 in parking and $5 for a drink, all while contending with mobs of people.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM

220 posts, read 866,035 times
Every year we go to McAdenville (right outside of Charlotte, NC) for the lights! Official Web Site
They call themselves the Christmas town of the US. The WHOLE TOWN puts lights on EVERY house. I heard the town actually pays your electric bill that month, but not sure. Anyway, it's fun and a family tradition. My daughter loves it.

There's also a Santa Train at the Durham Life and Science Museum. Can't remember exact costs of it; tickets go on sale mid-November. (the 18th I believe, but don't quote me on that!)

Of course there's the usual pumpkin pickin/hay ride thing that other posters listed... Hmm.. what else??? Feels like I'm forgetting something... I'll post again if I think of more!
Oh, and I saw that Cary has a newcomers meeting once a month or something. If you google it I bet it will come up; I saw it in a free newspaper that was distributed in Apex, so it must be distributed in Cary as well.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Gracious, there's just too much to list! We moved from FL and there was a real dearth of community-based events. Just tonight we took the kids (a whole neighborhood crew) to a corn maze down the street; a couple of weeks ago it was apple picking. Earlier in the summer we picked organic strawberries, and soon we'll be going to vollmer's farm in Bunn, NC for their fall activities. Lots of people enjoy sports, so you can go to a Durham Bulls game, or a college game at NC State, Duke, or UNC just to name the larger schools. OR head to one of our many local parks (Bond park being our favorite). Or pick up the Cary Parks & Rec brochure. Take swimming classes with your babies at the Morrisville or Cary Aquatic center. The list goes on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary