Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 PM

144 posts, read 556,342 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I am not the only person who goes through this. It has slowed down (knock on wood) but I get all these random calls from collection agencies. They call at the worst times; usually Saturday at like 8am, the only time I can sleep in haha. I never answer it, and they don't leave messages.

The person who lived in this house before me also still has their mail sent here; including magazines...After 3 years you would think they would know their new address; I even got their debit card not that long ago and fwd it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

502 posts, read 1,655,114 times
Whoever used to have my number has a kid that stays in trouble. I used to come home to messages from his principal/teacher every few weeks.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Hi,

I second this suggestion and would take it a step further. While I like the idea of simply telling them this on the phone...(1) they can lie and say you never said that, (2) the rep may not even bother making a note of it on the file and/or (3) turnover is so high in collection centers that it's very easy for notes to get lost or deleted in the shuffle.

I have been in the same position and reasoning does not typically help, as you've realized since they continue to call. It's frustrating especially when I pay my bills on time but am treated like trash by some collector trying to bully me over somebody else's debt.

This is how I resolved the problem. I say I am the person they are looking for so they will discuss the debt with me. Once I have the debtor's name, the creditor and amount, I send a certified letter to the collection agency AND creditor directly telling them I am not the person, am not related to the person and not responsible for their debt and don't want any further contact regarding the debt in question. I also include a paragraph about the Fair Debt Collection Act and a "cease and desist" statement.

For added effectiveness, you can complete an online complaint form for each company at the FTC website. Make sure you get the callers name and company name to add to the report.

I have used this tactic four times in the past twenty years and have NEVER had any problem with repeat phone calls.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Collection agencies do not care if you are not the person. They have the last known number for the person they are trying to contact and you have no way to prove that you are really not the person they are looking for. The "Do not call" list will not work in this situation. As a debt collector they are legal with their harassing phone calls.
However, the Fair Debt Collection Act will help you in this case. Under this act, it will be illegal for them to contact you after you tell them to stop.
You must follow my instructions in order for this to work.

Next time they call tell them this:
First, I must tell you that I am recording this phone call (You don't have to but if they continue to call after this then you will need to record it for proof in court.). I understand you are trying to collect a debt owed to you. However, I am not the person you are looking for and consider this harassment. Under the Fair Debt Collection Act I am requesting you remove my number from your database and not to call me ever again. If you call me anymore I will not hesitate to take legal action. Thank you.

See 806-5
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...edit/cre27.pdf

Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
Agree with Vicki - change your number. Believe me, it's going to be much easier to update your contacts than it will be to find the deadbeats (who clearly don't want to be found, especially if they really are still giving out your number) or to stop collectors from calling. Some of the more unscrupulous collectors are like zombies...robo-zombies who just ignore the headshots you take at them. And using the heavy artillery is very time-consuming.

Stop letting a pair of losers bring down your quality of life. Change the number or the carrier. We use Vonage for our landline and have yet to get a single unwanted call.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Default File suit against ARS Collections

Unfortunately this is probably your only recourse but consider yourself lucky that you know the name of the sleaze-ball agency who is harrasing you, too many of us don't.

I receive collection calls for a dead-beat who shares my name (including middle initial!) and home town. I have even received phone calls at work from collection agencies trying to track him down

Luckily a third person with the same name and middle inital is a local land developer/home builder, so I get great service and deals at most of the area's lumber yards! I am very carefull to not abuse these courtesies even though I know I am receiving them in error. Take the good with the bad.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
As he said in the Charlotte thread, if anyone knows Veronica Zacher or W Zacher, "kick" them in the shins for me.

I honestly do believe that they are still giving out the number - and that irks me the most. (yes - I've even checked my credit report to make sure that it isn't stolen identity)
I'm not certain you should be posting full names on here....
While they certainly may be deadbeats, there may be other issues/problems such as death or illness that caused a debt to go unpaid.
just saying....

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
Whoever used to have my number has a kid that stays in trouble. I used to come home to messages from his principal/teacher every few weeks.
it's more likely the kid gave the school a BS phone number that just happens to be yours.

Mike

Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM

260 posts, read 545,888 times
While I am normally a very calm and nice person, I can't feel kindly towards these people. I know the debts that they've accumulated and they aren't medical, etc. They are sheer overspending, it appears.

Changing my number may seem like a good idea, but I'm not going to do it. Too many things are now tied in to it and I shouldn't be forced to change - and to PAY for a new number because of their idiocy. I looked in to it already.

I like the idea of sending the letter. That may be my next recourse. Now - my daughter told the caller this morning that we killed them and buried in them in the yard in order to assume their identities. I'm sure that at least got an odd look on the other end.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM

226 posts, read 788,124 times
If the calls are coming from the same number each time, can you set up call-block?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,634 times
I had this when I moved a few years ago with messages on my voicemail. I just called back the collection agency (actually 2 or 3)and told them that I was giving them a courtesy call to let them know their information was outdated. I just moved and got this number so it must be the person whio had the number before. Maybe because I called them and doing them a favor by giving them this information it worked out fine- never heard from them again.

If you get a voicenmail and know its not for you just call them back because if you don't they just think the person is ignoring them and keep calling which annoys you- the innocent person- even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary