Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times

Advertisements

Here is a good thread on the topic - read through this and you will know what I mean about the stigma. Not that I agree with it, but I think it's only fair to go in with eyes wide open.

Clayton NOT "Triangle"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM

346 posts, read 613,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Here is a good thread on the topic - read through this and you will know what I mean about the stigma. Not that I agree with it, but I think it's only fair to go in with eyes wide open.

Clayton NOT "Triangle"
I'm not a mommy or daddy....so it matters not to me ...but it just shows how narrowminded people can be so if thats the way they want to treat someone from Clayton...
i'd just as well not even deal with them. I'm not a joiner of organizations...so if this is the stigma BFD! Now as to taxes being higher in Johnston than Wake counties thats another matter we will look into. Still coming from NJ where we are paying $10000+ per year I do feel whatever is down there will be laughable in comparison. In fact one of the things that I like about Clayton is that its further away from the big city. So you all move to Cary...thats just fine with me.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I'm not a mommy or daddy....so it matters not to me ...but it just shows how narrowminded people can be so if thats the way they want to treat someone from Clayton...
i'd just as well not even deal with them. I'm not a joiner of organizations...so if this is the stigma BFD! Now as to taxes being higher in Johnston than Wake counties thats another matter we will look into. Still coming from NJ where we are paying $10000+ per year I do feel whatever is down there will be laughable in comparison. In fact one of the things that I like about Clayton is that its further away from the big city. So you all move to Cary...thats just fine with me.
I agree 100% - coming from LI I understand a thing or two about stigmas and how misguided they often are - and I'm sure your experience is similar coming from NJ. You have to do what is right for you and your family and if getting more house for your money is a priority then Clayton is a great choice. As for taxes, you will probably be paying less than half what you paid in NJ so that is a huge plus.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Isn't Johnston County where they have an unusually high number of teen deaths caused by car accidents on dark and winding country roads?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I have many clients and friends that live in Clayton. My mom and dad live there, as well.

There are far more people relocating to Clayton in the last few years that most people know. There were a couple of years that Johnston County actually grew 400%!

Other than it being a bit rural and further from the malls, although closer to the outlets, I have nothing bad to say about Clayton.

Vicki

Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM

139 posts, read 550,733 times
I have lived in Clayton for 10 years and really like it. No complaints about town (we are not in city limits) and school we attend. Would not live here and work in RTP, JMHO. Love Vinero's pizza, Festejo's mexican and Clayton Steakhouse but would love more homegrown restaurants. I grew up in a very rural area so I enjoy the small town feel but 25 min max to Raleigh.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM

166 posts, read 664,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Isn't Johnston County where they have an unusually high number of teen deaths caused by car accidents on dark and winding country roads?

Yes, Johnston County has a relatively high number of teen deaths caused by car accidents. Some people attribute it to winding country roads. I say that is BS. The drivers ed program here is terrible. They need to start there if they want to fix it. If it was all because we have a few curvy roads then it would only follow that the mountain counties would have more deaths, which is not the case. The program needs to be reworked. They have made baby steps this year to try to address the issue with a very short course that is mandatory before being allowed a high school parking permit, but it is just a small bandaid on the problem. Best things a parent can do is get in the car and let your child drive as much as possible for that year they have their learners permit, and teach by example: if you don't want junior running the stop sign, then stop doing those California stops when they are in the car with you.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 PM

346 posts, read 613,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
I agree 100% - coming from LI I understand a thing or two about stigmas and how misguided they often are - and I'm sure your experience is similar coming from NJ. You have to do what is right for you and your family and if getting more house for your money is a priority then Clayton is a great choice. As for taxes, you will probably be paying less than half what you paid in NJ so that is a huge plus.
Where on LI were you from? I was born at Mitchell Field (in Garden City NY) and spent my first 15 years growing up in Huntington...Moved away in 1967...so that gives you a clue as to my age...LOL Glad to see another Long Islander here All the homes that we are considering are outside the "city" limits of Clayton so taxes should be even less than what you have stated...In fact one home we like in Angier which was within its town limits @ $135K for the home ..taxes came to approx.$1750/yr. We can definitely live with that

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
The cons: Clayton is still a po-dunk town that is trying desperatley to establish itself as a Raleigh burb.

The pros: You can get a big house on a large lot. It's closer to the beach.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
VickiR...
"There are far more people relocating to Clayton in the last few years that most people know. There were a couple of years that Johnston County actually grew 400%! ... "

Trust me, we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary