Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 AM

9 posts, read 21,400 times

Advertisements

I will be putting my house up for sale in central Cary, and I have school assignment questions since I know prospective buyers will be interested in the base schools. My kids were able to walk to elementary, middle, and high school (one of the reasons we bought here), but I haven't kept up with the assignment situation since the youngest graduated several years ago.

When I checked the Wake County school assignment page, it showed Cary Elementary for K-5 (traditional), East Cary Middle for year 6 (year-round), Reedy Creek for year 7 & 8 (traditional), and Cary High for year 9-12. All are within walking distance (except Reedy Creek), but East Cary is year-round, and the rest are traditional. Is this a common experience now in Cary to have mixed base school assignments from the same address?

I know I'm lucky to have missed the school assignment mess, but I'd like to give the most accurate info to prospective buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:48 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I live in that node and it isn't really a mixed base assignment. The actual assignment starting LAST year with ONLY rising 6th graders was to East Cary Middle. It re-opened last year as a YR middle school. Because WCPSS cannot force anyone to attend a YR school, the traditional option for East Cary Middle assignments is Reedy Creek Middle.
East Cary was a middle school several years ago, then they turned it into a 9th grade center from Cary High during their expansion and in the meantime assigned the middle school kids who would have gone there to Reedy Creek. They're moving the middle school kids BACK to East Cary now on a staggered schedule. This year is only 6th graders (and the 9th graders are still there in a separate building). Next year (2008-2009) is supposed to be just 6th and 7th, and 2009-2010 will be 6th, 7th and 8th and the high school kids will all be back at Cary High. SO if someone were to buy your house who was in the 8th grade next year, they would still go to Reedy Creek, but a 6th or 7th grader would go to East Cary, UNLESS the choose the traditional calendar option, which would be Reedy Creek.
Clear as mud?

Last edited by lamishra; 01-08-2008 at 06:01 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I live in that node and it isn't really a mixed base assignment. The actual assignment starting LAST year with ONLY rising 6th graders was to East Cary Middle. It re-opened last year as a YR middle school. Because WCPSS cannot force anyone to attend a YR school, the traditional option for East Cary Middle assignments is Reedy Creek Middle.
East Cary was a middle school several years ago, then they turned it into a 9th grade center from Cary High during their expansion and in the meantime assigned the middle school kids who would have gone there to Reedy Creek. They're moving the middle school kids BACK to East Cary now on a staggered schedule. This year is only 6th graders (and the 9th graders are still there in a separate building). Next year (2008-2009) is supposed to be just 6th and 7th, and 2009-2010 will be 6th, 7th and 8th and the high school kids will all be back at Cary High. SO if someone were to buy your house who was in the 8th grade next year, they would still go to Reedy Creek, but a 6th or 7th grader would go to East Cary, UNLESS the choose the traditional calendar option, which would be Reedy Creek.
Clear as mud?
Yikes! No question about it. If I were to purchase a house there, I'd for sure pull a dumb move and send my kid to the wrong school!

Will the house come with a "school assignment instruction manual"?

Last edited by findingmesomeday; 01-08-2008 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Nah..it sounds confusing but it's not really.

In a nutshell: East Cary used to be a middle school (it's an old school not a newly built one). Then they used it for several years as a 9th grade center to accomodate massive rennovations and expansion at Cary High. In the meantime, all the kids who WOULD have gone to East Cary Middle were sent to Reedy Creek, which IS a very large, newer schooll and under enrolled. (And also very close by)

Now it's being converted back to the middle school that it was originally, only it's year round and they are filling it on a staggered schedule. This has always been the plan, so it's not really like anyone has been reassigned. It's kind of like opening a new school and filling it with one grade at a time instead of moving the entire middle school population in our node out of Reedy Creek all at once.
The only thing about being assigned there is that it's YR and all families have the option to opt out of YR. In that case, they would go to Reedy Creek (My daughter went there for 6th grade).

Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

347 posts, read 934,185 times
well the good thing is the area is really all built out so it is unlikely the kids will get moved around as new schools are built. That is a rather good selling point.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 21,400 times
Default aaahhh ... that does make sense!

Thanks for the replies! This does help to explain it. I know about all of the construction at Cary High, and it figures that they would have to juggle while it was being completed.

I really appreciate the help!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
well the good thing is the area is really all built out so it is unlikely the kids will get moved around as new schools are built. That is a rather good selling point.
Kids in this node rarely ever get reassigned. It's an older area and already has a healthy FNR. It's very stable in regards to school assignments and we aren't threatened by new schools opening. Yes, it's a very good selling point. All of these schools tend to fly under the radar, but they are all very good and have very high parental involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary