Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,783 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I will be moving to Durham this summer to go to Duke for graduate school. We are looking to buy a home.

Can you please reccommend good areas in close proximity to the school?

We have looked at WAtts- Hillendale and Trinity Park but are interested in newer development below 200,000.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 AM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
If you're looking below $200K, I think you'll be hard pressed to find something in the areas that you describe. How about looking further south? We came here for a post-doc at Duke, yet we live near Southpoint, and the commute really isn't bad at all (15 minutes on an average traffic day). In fact, I think nearly our entire block works at Duke. While we would have preferred to be closer to campus in one of those lovely historic neighborhoods, our budget just simply didn't allow it.

How "new" do you want the property to be? I know there are lots of newer subdivisions on the north side of the city, but the Southpoint area is really hot right now... and if you're here for grad school (and thus likely to be selling again in less than 5 years), you're probably looking at a much greater appreciation rate in that area. There are several homes in Woodcroft and Woodlake listed right now below $200K, but those will be mostly 80's/early 90's homes. I don't have much knowledge about the newer developments in that area.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
There may still be some things in the Hope Valley Farms area, but for under 200k I'm thinking townhomes. For that price range and new construction, you're going to have to head north and/or east and look at the big box builders like Beazer, DR Horton, Centex, etc.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
I agree with procfreq. You'll probably find something you like in the 27713 or 27707 zip codes. They aren't on Duke's doorstep, but the commute shouldn't be too bad.

If you want something that is just a few years old, you might like Hope Valley Farms. I've seen homes there for $170-200K, 3 bed, 2&1/2 bath and usually with a garage (sometimes 1 car, sometimes 2). The lots are not huge & most of the trees are young. If you don't mind something a little older (built in '80s or '90s), check out WoodLake, Woodcroft, and other smaller neighborhoods in that area.

Wherever you go, be sure to check the HOA fees. They can vary widely around here.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I bought my house on the East side of Durham (out Hwy 98) as a grad student at Duke. My commute is about 15 minutes. My neighborhood is about 6-10 years old (depending on the house) and is called Marbrey Landing. There are currently several houses for sale here (including mine) and all are between $150K-$200K. Most of the houses are about 1500-1800 sq ft, 3 bed/2.5 bath on .25 acre with a garage. It's not in the hot Southpointe area, but our area feels a little less crowded I think than there, and I think we are less expensive too.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,783 times
Ok. Thank you all.

I will check out each of the areas you mentioned.

Woodcroft
Woodlake
Hope valley Farms.

Near Southpoint is fine. As long as it is within 10 miles of school and relatively new- mid 90s to current. I lived in DC for several years and older homes present a whole lot of issues that are hard to handle on a limited budget.

And yes, we will probably be selling in 3-5 years. I am applying to grad school next year as well.

Please let me know if you think of any others.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM

203 posts, read 162,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasluxe View Post
Ok. Thank you all.

I will check out each of the areas you mentioned.

Woodcroft
Woodlake
Hope valley Farms.

Near Southpoint is fine. As long as it is within 10 miles of school and relatively new- mid 90s to current. I lived in DC for several years and older homes present a whole lot of issues that are hard to handle on a limited budget.

And yes, we will probably be selling in 3-5 years. I am applying to grad school next year as well.

Please let me know if you think of any others.
Check the Auburn developments on Woodcroft Parkway. Copper Creek & Auburn Ridge. They have many for sale and some under $200k. GREAT location. Easy access to 40. Many backdoor routes to many things. You get to avoid most traffic, once you learn the roads.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
All the suggestions in this thread are great if you're looking for new construction. You might also consider the American Village area west of Duke, or some of the new developments in north Durham off Cole Mill Rd/Guess Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary