Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 55,615 times

Advertisements

I'm very seriously considering applying to both Duke and UNC's MPP/MPA programs and would like to know people's opinions of both...

Also, how dog friendly is that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Probably few (if any) individuals here have much knowledge of the MPP/MPA programs at either University.

As for dog friendliness, I'd say we're as friendly as anywhere else. There's been some discussion of the topic in other threads, so you might turn up something in a search.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
I don't know anyone that has been through the program at either school. They are both highly regarded programs that are highly competitive for admission, so unless you've been admitted to both comparing them may be something of a non-issue. I like that Duke named their public policy building after Terry Sanford; I met him once and he was an amazing man.

As to dogs, people here are friendly towards leashed dogs who do not eat at restaurants. Like CHTransplant said, search for old threads on the topic.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 55,615 times
Thank you. I have searched thru old threads, found nothing about either MPA or MPP program, but now know transplants are not welcome and dogs off leash in outdoor seating areas of restaurants is bad bad bad. Like I'd do that anyway.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf191 View Post
Thank you. I have searched thru old threads, found nothing about either MPA or MPP program, but now know transplants are not welcome and dogs off leash in outdoor seating areas of restaurants is bad bad bad. Like I'd do that anyway.

Thanks!
Silly, a lot of us are transplants (been here since I was seven, so technically I am one too). Practically everyone I meet is from elsewhere. It's a bad attitude that isn't welcomed.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Op - these posters are spot on with their comments.

Folks on this site are incredibly helpful - if they have knowledge relatable to the topic. The lack of traffic appears to confirm CH transplants comments.
I suppose you've researched each of their websites and know that each has a slightly different focus. Both schools are equally respected, Duke ranks higher than UNC but still, you'd get an excellent education at either of them. If I wanted to do grass roots, local community work (county/state), I'd choose UNC. If my goal was to work on a larger, regional or even national scale, I'd go to Duke. However, both will prepare you well for either. If class size is important, I would guess that Duke's are smaller...perhaps easier access to faculty? I might be wrong, it's a question I'd ask.
it was a long shot posting your question here...don't blame you for trying. What I'd do is contact the respective alumni offices, share your question with them and ask them to put you in touch with a couple of alums who've been thru the program recently - this is key. They should have an alum contact you who is willing to share their experience at that school and give you some Q&A time. Alternatively, why don't you schedule an appt with each school's Dean of Admissions or a faculty liaison...spend time with them to get a feel for whether you are a fit.

As for you being irritated for not getting replies to your post right away, chill! We've been busy talking about the State Fair and the coming arctic cold front; we've all been kinda busy pulling out our winter t shirts and working on our State Fair food budget

BTW - if you hurry you just might get in before we close our borders. It's ok for us transplants to be here but we really don't want any more coming You'll remember these words if you move here and live in Raleigh and drive each day to Chapel Hill or Durham...shudder the thought of I-40 traffic!

Don't say I didn't warn ya! Come on down, leave the 'tude, we are all from somewhere else.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
Most of us are transplants ourselves, and we love other transplants as long as they are friendly !

Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM

171 posts, read 430,211 times
NC State has an MPA as well.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
You might actually have better luck posting this question in the Colleges and Universities forum.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
Both programs are very good. Go ahead and apply to both and see which one you you get into. If you get into both and you are an in-state student save your money and go to Carolina. If you only get into one or the other, the decision is made for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary