Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times

Advertisements

I lived in Wake County (Raleigh) all my life and recently moved to Johnston County. I work in Durham and dont mind the commute at all! From North Raleigh to my job in RTP, it took me about 25 minutes. Now, I live in Johnston County and the drive is now about 45 minutes. I got more value for my house in JC, a better school for my kid and the taxes are better.

Twenty additional minutes to my drive was an easy decision for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Hey Tuborg...what about us Agents that don't STEER at all? What about those of us that try to explain the different areas and try to educate the buyers to what is available? Huh? What about us??? Ok...I'm being somewhat funny just cuz I know you didn't mean it, Tuborg! Well, I thought I was funny!

I had clients that wanted to live close to Garner. After checking into the schools in that area and speaking to the principal at the school, she decided it wasn't going to work out. We then looked into Clayton, which was 5 min. down the road! The school scores were so much better and the prices were somewhat less.

We found a wonderful house and she tells me that her sons are loving their school and she is loving the neighborhood and hubby is loving the 15 min. commute to work. Gotta love happy clients!!!

Vicki

Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Talking The Time Machine On City Data

Vicky you were funny and I am in your corner and I deleted the message. Last thing I want is a post that might be misinterpreted about realtors so I deleted it. Hopefully you can delete your response and people will wonder what am I writing about. I am posting this so no one reads your post and things you were sampling the rum for the rum cake you are making. Cause with mine gone you are responding to nothing and we know that someone else will jump in and here we go again. So when you delete your post I will delete this post and it will good. Who says time travel is impossible.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,428 times
We are from Jersey and initially considered Wake County. But the higher home values and year-round schools steered us away...plus we wanted to be a bit closer to the shore, so the Eastern side of Raleigh was the natural direction for us to go. And then I got a teaching job in Johnston County, so that sealed the deal for us.

We are renting right now in southern Johnston County, where I work(about 15 minutes South of Clayton), and are looking for home to buy in the Cleveland/South Clayton area. It is very rural out where but we love it. But I think some people that come particularly from the Northeast close to bigger cities, may get put-off by many areas of Johnston County(outside of Clayton)....as it does have a more "hick" feel and look to it. I am speaking moreso of the Angier, McGees Crossroads, Smithfield, Pine-Level/Micro areas.

My impression, in just the 5 short months since we've been here, is that the Wake County suburbs(Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Cary/Apex etc.) have a more "upscale"/ suburb feel/reputation(and home prices reflect that) to it....whereas Johnston County has a more rural/blue-collar "vibe"...which is where we come from in Jersey(rural South Jersey), so it feels like home to us.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Oh yes..having the beach an hour and a half away on a straight trip down I-40 east is definately a bonus!!!

(from Clayton)

Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 PM

In a very POSITIVE vein that is the way I read Wake vs Johnson. I am coming from VERY upscale and developed and wanted more of the rural vibe. However the suburban upscale is only a short drive away. Being retired when we get here my wife and I joke about going into town once a week to get our vittles for the week. I know it will all change with development but for a few short years I will actually get to live in more of a rural setting.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 AM

26 posts, read 124,875 times
We just bought in Clayton and our moving this week. We did a lot of research and several trips and are very happy with our decision.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Where in Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by river67 View Post
We just bought in Clayton and our moving this week. We did a lot of research and several trips and are very happy with our decision.
Where in Clayton and congratulations?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 180,470 times
Default Apex vs. Clayton

We started looking in Wake, Cary and Morrisville, Apex to be exact. We had the areas narrowed down to Apex vs. Clayton. We read articles about the schools going year round, which the thought doesn't really bother me as much now, even though I am in Clayton (Johnston County) and not going year round. You do get more land and home for the money. The trade off is you are not near stores. I need to drive quite a distance for a Target, Best Buy, any mall, even good coffee, there are NO DELI's in this town either. The town is building and I am sure it is only a matter of time before these stores move closer to here, but for now, It's a drive. I do love my town and am very happy about my choice. The kids are doing well in school and have so many friends. Keep looking, you'll find your spot down here.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times
We were "set" on Wake Forest for about two years when considering our move. When we were really ready to make the decision, the Wake Forest schools (resdistricting, schedules not the same within one family) turned us off. We looked into Clayton and we are very happy here. The schools have been wonderful, our neighbors are beyond fabulous, we have acreage and a beautiful property very inexpensively (to us anyway, and compared to Colorado where we came from). We shop at White Oaks, within 15 minutes from our house. Dh commutes to Morriseville, about 45 minutes on a good traffic day. We are an hour and a half from the beach too...love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary