Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,389 times

Advertisements

Hi,
First off thank you to everyone who posts to city-data, it has been such a great resource. We are moving to Chapel Hill in August (husband works for UNC) we are going to rent at first as our house has not sold. We are planning to eventually buy in Southern Village. We have the chance to informally rent a house a few blocks away from Southern Village in the Frank Porter Graham elementary school area. I have a daugher who is going into kindergarten. Also to be noted she is not severely special needs, but she has sensory integration problems, and does need some special services/attention. So on one hand should we rent in the Scroggs Elem. school area so that she can attend kindergarten at the same school she will probably go to first grade at and turn down our FPG area rental offer ; or would FPG be better for her as it seems like the class sizes are smaller and maybe it is not as competitive as I keep reading that Scroggs is. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,423 times
Hi,

We were in the same situation as you two years ago when we moved to CH from NY (my hubby works at UNC, I work at Duke). We have two children and we bought a home in the FPG Elementary School zone. We love the school and our children are happy and learning great stuff there! I know two parents of children with developmental differences who are also happy with the school. I also know parents whose children attend Scroggs, one of which has a child with developmental differences. They seem pleased, too.

I think it just depends on what kind of school you'd like, and of course, where you'd like to live. Scroggs is within walking distance for most families in Southern Village - that's a nice plus. On the other hand, FPG has amazing diversity and a lot of wonderful unique programs that Scroggs doesn't. Both are good schools, but in different ways. I think you're so wise to rent your first year; you'll have time to decide which school is a better fit. Enjoy the adventure and I wish you the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary