Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 51,644 times

Advertisements

I am condsidering moving to Cary & would really appreciate some opinions from people who live there & know the different areas. My number one priority is my children. They are 1 1/2 & 6. My "ideal" area is very family oriented with friendly people. School district is extremely important & although it doesn't have to be, I think I prefer a year round schedule. I know there are some major issues right now w/ overcrowding & redistricting, but I hope to work through that. My price range is $450K-$525K. I like the idea of a community w/ similar housing & pricing that has amenities that my children can enjoy, like a pool, clubhouse, playground etc. all within a short distance. I do need 4-5 bedrooms. I have a modern sense of style & am not big on really wooded areas or "country" like areas for lack of a better word. I prefer more recent construction with an open floor plan. Job location does not matter as my husband & I run a small home business. Upon doing what research I could from my computer, I liked the Preston area mostly due to the schools & Country Club, although the houses are older then some of the other areas. Cameron Pond & Highcroft seemed like possibilties. I would love to hear feedback & other suggestions from people. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you can recommend any websites, links, blogs that would put me in touch w/ other mothers in the Cary area that would be great too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,248,201 times
I think you should check Cambridge & Wyndfall off of Penny Road.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 AM

232 posts, read 1,031,371 times
My 2 cents. I would NOT consider Cameroon Pond due to the I-540 project coming right next door. Highcroft has good school district but the lot sizes are the size of postage stamps! tiny!

Consider Weldon Ridge, Greystone Estates, Hortons Creek, Hillard Forest.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,455,158 times
Default Highcroft in Cary, NC

This past Spring, my husband and I moved over to Highcroft, just on the other side of HWY 55. We were down-sizing. As it turned-out, we moved into what appears to be a primo area for young families and children.

Highcroft Drive Elementary is a school of distinction, or is it excellence? Check-out the WCPSS website. It is currently a year round school, however, on multiple tracks.

Very active community, with a social calendar geared towards the children -- there was an Easter get-together, a 4th of July party at the pool, a parade at Halloween of the children in their costumes and a pumpkin-carving contest. At holiday time, the houses were all decorated, luminaries put on the sidewalks and streets, but unfortunately, the trolley ride through the neighborhood to see the 'festival of lights' was canceled due to 'inclement' weather -- snow.

The parents here seem to enjoy doing things together. There are walking groups, exercise groups, a mini-marathon through the neighborhood. There are a few Book Clubs and a Bunko (?) group. The young families endeavor to support one another, it appears, in their child-rearing here.

There are two playgrounds: a small one near the pool, and a large one with basketball court and sandbox, and bathrooms, at Sears Farm Road Park at the back of the neighborhood. It is an easy area to walk, and stroll, and some pleasant naturalized areas. Highcroft is also pet-friendly with lots of people, like my husband and me, walking dogs on leashes.

There are a few homes for sale, and two very good buys were just snapped-up down the street from me. Many of floor plans seem to be open, some with formal areas, and most all have bonus/play rooms, third floors (finished or unfinished), fenced backyards, and there are just a few basement homes (but not many).

Ride through the area and see what you think. Highcroft is just across HWY 55, down Green Hope School Road. Developers are currently building in Highcroft Village, just past the Dolpin's Mini-Mart, but Highcroft itself is about 1/2 mile down Green Hope. Easy drive to the RTP, RDU, Apex, Durham, and Chapel Hill, and easy access to 540, 55, and I40.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,203 times
Did you consider Waterford estates by drees. Its a new community with the alston ridge school nearby and having a open floorplans. I believe they don't have swimming pool or clubhouse. You can check with them.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

214 posts, read 695,678 times
If you like preston but want a new home you might consider a very small development called chessington in Morrisville, which is right off of Davis Dr. It does not have a pool in the neighborhood but comes with a membership to the preston country club which is about 1-2 miles away. It is surrounded by very family friendly neighborhoods and goes to Carpenter elementary, which is year round and last year I believe it had the highest test scores in the state. You will probably get a lot more house for your money there than in west Cary, and it is a more convenient location.

Alternatively, you can check out the estates at providence place - which also is generally more house for the money, goes to the same school and you will be at most 2 blocks from the pool/playground area.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,093,191 times
Amberly sounds a lot like what you want--my sister in law lives there with her 3 kids (ages 2-7) and they have an amazing pool, clubhouse with free activities, and seem to have a lot of block parties and such. The school is switching to Alston Ridge next year which will be a year-round school opening for the first time. If the school board keeps its promise you would be able to opt for traditional calendar and go to Green Hope.

They live in the Village Square section which still has plenty of lots and some inventory homes in your range. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
I know you didn't mention North Raleigh but if you were considering it, as well, you may want to look at Bedford.

If you prefer the Preston area, which leads you into Morrisville/Cary, I like Highcroft Village. Amberly is nice but has small lots. Kitts Creek is good too.

The area of South Cary has Sunset Oaks, Sunset Ridge and The Park At West Lake.

You have a lot of choices, in your price range. Most of the areas that have been mentioned have good schools, although they are all part of Wake County.

Vicki

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,746 times
There seem to be a few nice deals in Glenkirk. Don't know about the lots (seems to be one of the main issues with that neighborhood). Also, it is assigned to Weatherstone and you have to apply for YR. The houses are quite attractive and the location is great (we used to live next door in Highland Oaks).

Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 51,644 times
Default Thank you.. Keep the ideas coming!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I am reasearching each & every suggestion. Please keep the ideas coming. I am starting to lean towards subdivisions like Hilliard Forest, Highcroft Village, Greystone Estates etc. The pros & cons of these & other subdivisions to look into or avoid would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary