Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's how it worked where I came from, too, with smaller school districts. But taxes were substantially more than what I'm paying here.

Also -- Northerners forget that there were "snow days" sometimes up North, and nobody went crazy when that happened.

I'm sick of hearing about people who think they know how to drive on slick streets because they did it back North. The streets aren't maintained like they are in the North, and they never will be, and many of the drivers you'll see DON'T know how to drive on icy/snowy roads. It's NOT like it is up North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Sorry I should have been more descriptive...I was referencing neighborhood schools to mean "town districts" where each geographical area had it's own district.

In NY for the most part each town had it's own school district. When it snowed...only those districts impacted by the poor road conditions closed.

With Wake County being so large, the road conditions vary greatly and so the whole school system needs to cancel to accomodate those that cannnot travely safely. It's the right thing to do, but boy would I love for my kids to be able to go to school tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Yes, that's how it worked where I came from, too, with smaller school districts. But taxes were substantially more than what I'm paying here.

Also -- Northerners forget that there were "snow days" sometimes up North, and nobody went crazy when that happened.

I'm sick of hearing about people who think they know how to drive on slick streets because they did it back North. The streets aren't maintained like they are in the North, and they never will be, and many of the drivers you'll see DON'T know how to drive on icy/snowy roads. It's NOT like it is up North.

I try so hard to give you rep points but I have always used one on you everytime it seems. And I don't even look at user names, so you just say things I like to hear (or read in this case).

Here's your rep

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

I totally agreee...and I'm a Northerner.

We were just about equal distance between Rochester and Buffalo NY, in a small town with only about 6,000 people. Still, we lived in an area that was prepared to deal with snow because it was a common occurance (just about every day, lake-effect snow!).

I had no problem navigating the roads up there in the winter and they rarely closed schools unless it was too cold out or for an occasional icing.

BUT...here is much different. Roads are much more hilly and winding and there are a lot more treed areas than farmland so snow doesn't melt in the sun like it would among the farmland, not to mention they lack the equipment and staff to cover so much ground.

Plus, I like the taxes down here a lot more than up in NY.. They can keep their snow removal equipment...I'll take the days off from school with my kids

Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
clearly monday was a day where schools needed to be closed , with that said;
we had many of these snowdays while our kids were school age.
so many of those make up days were just a waste of time.

i always wonder why parents can't be expected to get their kids to the nearest
cleared road for bus pick up. seems like out of a whole school district you would end up with only a few kids not
showing up.

seems like if parents can get them to the mall , take them out to sled , movies , etc. they
can surely walk them to a clear road for pick up.

funny how it is turned into a noth/ south thing , to me
it really is a matter of common sense.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 AM

I just saw five minutes ago they were clearing the main driveway of my school. Didn't touch the parking lot or the back lot where the buses come in.

Thats fine and dandy. I am thankfull for the two passes he did. That doesn't do anything however for the teacher that fell walking into school and had to go to the doctor. If this were your child you would be hollaring and having a fit. Roads are getting better but there are many more roads that have large sheets of ice b/c of it being in the shade. Infact on both sides of the main street into my school are dangerous areas that i don't want to be on at six or seven o'clock in the morning, or even nine o'clock for that matter.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM

They came back. And dropped some sand in the major problem area. At least the school system is doing what it can to get the schools open. I wish they would scrape some of area off the road but I doubt they are allowed to touch the main roads.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary