Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM

50 posts, read 252,718 times

Advertisements

The thread about subdivisions sort of sparked this thread. I'm not a fan of subdivisions, but if I could find an area where most of the houses were done in a 1950s/60s modern look, I would be pretty happy w/ it. The sort of houses where a boomerang coffee table and an egg chair would not look out of place. Or you could put a pink retro-style range, and a formica and vinyl kitchenette set in the kitchen. (I hope this is making sense).

I'm not even convinced there are areas in the RTP area with such houses. WHen I've visited, I didn't really see much, if any. Are there specific locales we could look for this type of house? Or did this style of house just not really make much of an impact in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 02:14 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP059 View Post
The thread about subdivisions sort of sparked this thread. I'm not a fan of subdivisions, but if I could find an area where most of the houses were done in a 1950s/60s modern look, I would be pretty happy w/ it. The sort of houses where a boomerang coffee table and an egg chair would not look out of place. Or you could put a pink retro-style range, and a formica and vinyl kitchenette set in the kitchen. (I hope this is making sense).

I'm not even convinced there are areas in the RTP area with such houses. WHen I've visited, I didn't really see much, if any. Are there specific locales we could look for this type of house? Or did this style of house just not really make much of an impact in NC?
You and my wife would get along great she is an Interior Designer and loves all of the different styles that the past generations have spawned. I do not know of any areas where home of this era would be found but you could most certainly be pointed in the right direction by any of the fine Realtors who frequent this forum.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Oh they are around! Believe it or not you could find homes like that in older towns around here like Cary, Raleigh, Fuquay, Clayton, Knightdale, Durham, and Garner maybe. The further you go out into "newer" growth towns (Apex, Holly Springs, etc), the fewer they are. Actually, any towns that have a strong historic downtown section like the ones I mentioned would probably be a safe bet because they've been inhabited longer and during that time. If you use realtor.com I believe there is a search option for age of home and you can choose older than 50 yrs. Good luck! Who knows, you may even be able to find a basement or two!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:40 PM

50 posts, read 252,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
Oh they are around! Believe it or not you could find homes like that in older towns around here like Cary, Raleigh, Fuquay, Clayton, Knightdale, Durham, and Garner maybe. The further you go out into "newer" growth towns (Apex, Holly Springs, etc), the fewer they are. Actually, any towns that have a strong historic downtown section like the ones I mentioned would probably be a safe bet because they've been inhabited longer and during that time. If you use realtor.com I believe there is a search option for age of home and you can choose older than 50 yrs. Good luck! Who knows, you may even be able to find a basement or two!
The whole lack of basements thing is kind of bumming me out. I buy, sell, and collect vintage stuff so I need lots of storage. Lots. And Lots.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:46 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
I totally understand... We both dream of the day where we can have a basement around here. It's not impossible, especially if you are looking at older homes but they just aren't in abundance. They are really hard to find in newer homes but with the age of homes you are looking for, you really may be able to find something.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
Cameron Village in Raleigh, near the shopping center of the same name. It's a bunch of 50's homes. I don't know if they have basements. They're kind of pricey though.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
I'm so glad you brought up this question. I like the same styles, and last time I visited Raleigh I didn't see any pockets of mid-century modern residential architecture. I did like some of the commercial buildings in Cameron Village, though, especially the "Bernie Bachelor" photography one.

One thing I want to do in Raleigh next week is explore for neighborhoods like this.

Do you read Lotta Living is your source for Mid Century Modern Lifestyle, Design, Art, Furniture and Architecture ? There are often real estate postings on there, but in NC I usually just see Charlotte.

I remember seeing some interesting mid-century houses in Durham, but I can't remember where.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 PM

55 posts, read 211,148 times
Default 1950-60's era homes

North Hills, North Glen, Quail Hollow, Hickory Hills, Shelly Road Area, Lakemont are all built between 1960 and 1970. They are all located within two mile of North Hills. Mostly ranches, splits and Raleigh's own buck split. Most old raleigh homes built between 1925 and 1942 have basements. Many are now finished due to the price of property in these areas. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:

I'm not really sure what it is that you are looking for. We do have many homes in Raleigh and Cary that were built in the '50s and '60s.

I suggest you sit down with your Realtor, at the computer. Plug in the age of the homes you are looking for.

Click on "media" to open the photos. You should be able to see if what you are looking for does exsist in this area.

Vicki

Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times
Quote:

Do you mean something like this (the outside, not the inside. The inside looks a little tame to me in terms of angles)? This is from FMRealty site: MLS Number: 890625 (Snow Camp, NC) or this one MLS Number: 938614 (Pittsboro, NC).

We used to call them contemporaries or George Jetson houses when I was growing up. Now, I see them referred to as mid-century modern homes on HGTV.

Rooflines with sharp angles, small clerestory windows, walls of large windows, angled high ceilings.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary