Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 90,080 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how friendly the people in Raleigh are. Also, is the culture reserved or fast-paced? Thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-25-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Visit and find out.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-25-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to [corrected] typo

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
I think most people around here are pretty friendly. A good example is this forum - people are friendly and helpful and even the spirited debates are usually somewhat civil. Jump on over to the Charlotte board and you will see lots of bullying, sniping, flaming, etc. Same goes for the Long Island board.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
Depends on what you mean by "Raleigh" and where you're from and what YOU are like and what YOU expect! Where I live it seems like no one is actually FROM here (some of us are from up north, some from nearby states/towns, some from other southern places, etc. It's NOT any one place) and it's very friendly. We didn't move "ITB" (inside the 440 beltline) because we had heard that natives don't cotton too much to all the annoying newcomers who are clogging up their fine highways; being a native to Richmond, VA, and having been annoyed with all the damn yankees who were moving there (she said, tongue in cheek), I get it and wasn't especially in the mood for annoying any locals.

In general, it feels like a friendly southern city to me (having lived in 5-6 of them) and I like it very much. There's a progressive vibe and an artsy vibe to the place, too. Just don't expect NYC *or* a rural feel and you'll be just fine

Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMM View Post
I am wondering how friendly the people in Raleigh are. Also, is the culture reserved or fast-paced? Thanks.

on a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being Extremely Unfriendly and 1o being so friendly they are in your face, 4 out of 5 seekers of friends say it is a 7.5 on the friendliness scale.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-25-2010 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to [corrected] typo and deleted responses.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Are there different moderators for those areas? That may explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think most people around here are pretty friendly. A good example is this forum - people are friendly and helpful and even the spirited debates are usually somewhat civil. Jump on over to the Charlotte board and you will see lots of bullying, sniping, flaming, etc. Same goes for the Long Island board.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Are there different moderators for those areas? That may explain it.
Yup -- and Raleigh got stuck with the mean one .....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
youre mean so we can't be....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
SHE is good at being mean!!!

As for the comments about no Southerners...guess I'm lucky cuz I live with one! Having said that, I know quite a few. I do think, overall, that this area is one of the more friendly areas. Of course, I have lived here for a very long time but I have visited many places within the US and there are quite a few states that I've visited that you couldn't pay me to live in!!!

Vicki

Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Raleigh itself is somewhat fast-paced, being a city with rampant growth (= traffic jams, etc. when you increase the population by 4% a year but don't have time to build new roads, that tends to happen). There are still plenty of natives and Southerners here with "Southern charm" as well as transplants who are nice, but the high number of folks moving from Northeastern urban areas has brought more of a "fast-paced" vibe about a lot of things (impatience in traffic, etc) more associated with that region than with the South. Most people who move here from the North specifically mention "how nice the people are" compared to what they're used to, so there's that data point(s). And in general, the longer someone lives here, the more acclimated they become to the "more laid-back vibe". But there is no mistaking that Raleigh is an many ways no longer a "Small Southern City" but becoming more like Atlanta, in ways both good and bad (both being subjective, of course).

If you're coming from a big urban area, you may find it impossibly slow-paced--store clerks and even other customers often stop and stirke up conversations, people wave and speak to strangers on the streets, by-the-book Etiquette is more important here (which can include a lot of passive-aggressiveness by Etiquette's very nature...a lot of Northerners prefer to be around people who "say what they think" instead of being 'diplomatic' and talking around an unpleasant issue, for example).

OTOH, if you're coming from a rural area, they think our traffic is atrocious, everybody is in a hurry, nobody knows anybody because half of them moved from somewhere and have no roots in the area, etc. So a lot of it is "is it fast-paced/polite/laid-back compared to where?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary