Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Harris Nuke Plant 20 miles SW of downtown Raleigh which means many parts of Cary are located within 10 miles of the place.
On a clear day, I can see the cooling tower from my backyard here in Apex. Doesn't bother me at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM

36 posts, read 82,225 times
Vicki, you make some good points. If I was checking out a neighborhood near a landfill, I would visit many times in different types of weather with winds coming from different directions before making a decision.

I doubt you're thinking this, but some people think that when nuclear plants have problems, they explode like a weapon. That's not the case. So Raleigh would still be here if something went wrong.

Living within a ten mile radius of a nuclear plant is a potential problem because if radiation starts spewing out, people trying to get out in time get strong exposure to the radiation as they sit on the highways in gridlock traffic. People who were here during one of our icestorms remember that everyone left work at once and many sat still for 12 hours or more because all the roads were in gridlock. No one could move. Imagine sitting on US1 or parts of 440 in gridlock traffic with radiation around you. Not a plan.

That is why I won't live near a nuclear plant. The farther out you are from one, the more time you have to get out. The population is very dense closer to the Shearon Harris plant too. The school system doesn't want parents coming to get their kids in the event of a nuclear emergency if their school is within a ten mile radius of the plant.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,565 times
I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but before you criticize the Harris Plant, keep in mind that all the employees who work there live in the Triangle and they are not going to allow something to happen that jeopardizes their family. Harris has received the top rating from the Institute of Nuclear Power Operators for at least the last 6years. In the unlikely event of a nuclear accident, wind direction and potential radiation doses will determine which areas, if any, would need to be evacuated. For that reason, it may actually be safer to stay in your home rather than getting out in the streets and trying to evacuate. You would receive alot more radiation from a dental x-ray or from flying cross-country than you would if you lived next door to the nuclear plant.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 PM

174 posts, read 196,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I'm seeing this in many posts. What's with all this stuff and where is it?
They have go somewhere.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:27 PM

186 posts, read 549,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ok...at the risk of sounding like a dummy...I've lived in NC most of my life.

Are you saying that other states don't have sewage/water treatment plants, landfills and nuclear plants? Airport noise?

Lets be realistic here.

In many neighborhoods, these simply do not deter sales of homes. However, with all the different areas and all the different neighborhoods that are available, find the neighborhood that appeals to YOU. Be picky. You are spending alot of money for your new HOME.

Vicki
Boy won't everyone be surprised when they put that new Nuke plant in North Raleigh. If something happened in Mississippi at their nukes i'm sure you guys in NC will get a dose of something.

I think a cow pasture is more of a problem smell wise than a sewage plant.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM

36 posts, read 82,225 times
A nuclear plant is not planned for north Raleigh, although closer to Henderson might have been a better place to put one considering prevailing winds.

Quote:
In the unlikely event of a nuclear accident, wind direction and potential radiation doses will determine which areas, if any, would need to be evacuated. For that reason, it may actually be safer to stay in your home rather than getting out in the streets and trying to evacuate. You would receive alot more radiation from a dental x-ray or from flying cross-country than you would if you lived next door to the nuclear plant.
Sadly, sometimes things go wrong even when people who work someplace try their best not to let it happen. If something ever happens (and I hope it never does) then the only recourse is to evacuate the area. Most people wouldn't know the wind direction, and besides, winds can shift. Radiation goes through walls so (if radiation is blowing your way) then staying inside your house could make you ill or eventually worse, unless you have a fallout shelter. And then I'm not sure when it would be safe to come out because the plant might spew radiation for quite a while until it's capped.

Twenty Years On Effects From Chernobyl Disaster Go On

In its latest report on the disaster released in September, the United Nations estimated that fewer people will eventually perish than was initially predicted...

Source: Agence France-Presse

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
It looks like the sewage plants are in Cary and Apex only; are there more?
Oh yes! I'm a postal carrier and Garner is building a huge new sewage/water treatment plant. It's on Benson Road.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal298 View Post

It really should be pointed out that the style and design of the reactor at Chernobyl is one that was never used in the US....and certainly isn't in use now.

Let's compare apples to apples.....not glowing limes to oranges.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 PM

44 posts, read 185,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal298 View Post
A nuclear plant is not planned for north Raleigh, although closer to Henderson might have been a better place to put one considering prevailing winds.

Sadly, sometimes things go wrong even when people who work someplace try their best not to let it happen. If something ever happens (and I hope it never does) then the only recourse is to evacuate the area. Most people wouldn't know the wind direction, and besides, winds can shift. Radiation goes through walls so (if radiation is blowing your way) then staying inside your house could make you ill or eventually worse, unless you have a fallout shelter. And then I'm not sure when it would be safe to come out because the plant might spew radiation for quite a while until it's capped.

Its crap like this that scares people for little/no reason. I'm sure that the chances of getting killed in a car crash are thousands of times more likely than a nuclear plant going up in this country. Think about statistics people...raise your hand if you fly in a plane..probably hundreds times more likely to die in a plane crash... How many people have a house that's against woodland? Ever worry about your kids getting shot by a careless hunter? Probably 50 times more likely to happen. I'm not a huge fan of having a nuclear power plan less than 20 miles away but they are much safer than a chemical plant or a chemical storage facility (look at what happened to apex)

Moderator cut: language
Matt

Old 06-07-2007, 02:08 PM

16 posts, read 111,393 times
I couldn't agree more with the fact that if Sharon Harris goes, we're all cooked! I laugh when my wife talks about it, b/c we moved from Long Island and she is worried here? If the Indian Point nuclear power plant ever melts down or is targeted by terrorists, all of Long Island and Manhattan will be affected...and there will be no way out...they're islands! Sharon Harris is like the housands of small nuke plants popping up all over the country - they're safe and clean. It's the world we live in now - but I feel a lot safer raising my kids here than in close proximity to NYC, that's for sure! And as for the water treatment plants - yes, they're all over the country. The one in Apex is actually right down the street from my neighborhood and there were parts of our development where on certain days you could smell it - but they have since covered the plant and the smell is gone. Again, with all the growth down here these are to be expected. Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary