Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 AM

48 posts, read 184,326 times

Advertisements

I have an hdtv but no cable service and would like to know how to get free local channels . i live in durham. Do i need to get some sort of device? How do i begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:24 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I also have HDTV and we got rid of our cable last year. We put an antenna in our attic and get excellent reception. We're able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WLFL, MyRDC, WRAL2, 2 local weather stations as well as a couple of other more obscure channels. All channels that are HD come in as HD. If I want to watch cable channels, I watch them for for free on HULU on my computer.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,331 times
You need an antenna and your location and the channels you want to receive will determine what kind of antenna you need. An indoor(rabbit ears) antenna may get a few stations but for best reception you need an attic or outdoor antenna. Here is a good site about antenna selection. AntennaWeb
If you click on "choose an antenna" and put in your address it will tell you what stations you should be able to receive with various antenna types.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:30 PM

29 posts, read 35,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I also have HDTV and we got rid of our cable last year. We put an antenna in our attic and get excellent reception. We're able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WLFL, MyRDC, WRAL2, 2 local weather stations as well as a couple of other more obscure channels. All channels that are HD come in as HD. If I want to watch cable channels, I watch them for for free on HULU on my computer.

I believe you can stream HULU on some blu-ray players so you can watch it on your TV and not have to sit at a computer.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3streamer View Post
I believe you can stream HULU on some blu-ray players so you can watch it on your TV and not have to sit at a computer.
Also, most PCs can accept a second video card, so you can buy a TV card (for maybe $30?) and run a vid cable from it to your TV.
I don't even own a separate blu-ray player, I have a BD burner on my PC that plays BD disks that I watch on my PC or TV.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
If you're at all handy you can easily make a very effective HD antenna with a few bucks worth of parts. I tried the attic, but reception wasn't much better than indoors; I suspect due to the radiant foil we have in the attic, so I mounted it to a wall inside a closet. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it works very well.

This guy has the right idea.

I used his measurements, but I simplified the PVC standoffs, using sort of thick PVC washers. Hard to describe, PM me if you want a picture.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:27 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Often if you have no cable TV service but have Road Runner for internet you get free TV including digital and analog channels by connecting your cable to your TV directly and letting the built-in tuner find the channels for you. I don't watch much live TV, but last week I ran a channel check and found Food TV, MTV, and all sorts of channels I didn't have last time I ran the channel check about a year ago.

I'm not saying this is normal, but I've always received some amount of channels for free through my cable simply for having Road Runner at the house.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:16 AM

258 posts, read 673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Often if you have no cable TV service but have Road Runner for internet you get free TV including digital and analog channels by connecting your cable to your TV directly and letting the built-in tuner find the channels for you. I don't watch much live TV, but last week I ran a channel check and found Food TV, MTV, and all sorts of channels I didn't have last time I ran the channel check about a year ago.

I'm not saying this is normal, but I've always received some amount of channels for free through my cable simply for having Road Runner at the house.
Nope, this is not normal, and I wouldn't advertise that you are getting it.

I Used to work for TWC (way before I worked at CPI). It's a tier service

Last time I checked it was (roughly)

$49 - internet ONLY
$40 or so more gets you Basic cable (what the tv can tune in without box) and some HD

So roughly $80+ for internet and basic TV...what a rip IMHO

Your Cable tap (thing in the yard or up the pole depending on your neighborhood) is supposed to have what is called a "trap" on your line. This little filter blocks TV, and passes Internet only. Cause thats all you pay for.

Apparently yours is missing....you are lucky, but one day they will do an audit and catch it, and it will be installed then.

You will not get into trouble if you didn't remove it, but one day the free tv may disappear. Meantime Shh!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM

140 posts, read 621,533 times
bad mojo is right, you can build an HD antenna out of some scrap wood, scews, metal clothing hangers and a $6 part from radio shack. I did this for my grandmother.

She never had and didn't want cable but couldn't miss her over the air episodes of Price is Right. We got her a small 32inch plasma and built an antenna like the one you see here using thick rubber washers as standoffs for UHF/VHF. I was shocked that she got all her channels back and the HD picture was really nice.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

128 posts, read 282,912 times
Anyone advice on how to connect an external HD TV aerial to an 'On Q' system? or is it just not possible to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary