Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else reviewed the proposed bell schedules for WCPSS next year? I personally think starting some elementary schools at 9.30 and ending at 4.00 is a move in the wrong direction. 9.05 to 3.45 is bad (read: late) enough. I see they postponed the vote on it. Anyone else with thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times
9:30 is very late for elementary schools. I wish they would come up with another solution for this problem. But I heard that not all elem schools start at 9:05 some start at 7:45 AM which is ideal IMO.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified........but a lot of schools (elem, middle, and high) are being proposed to start 15 minutes later and end 15 minutes later. Doesn't sound like a lot of time until you start looking at how late some will get home because not all buses arrive exactly when the last bell rings.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
yeah, we stopped letting our kids ride the bus when the bus started arriving home around 40 minutes--not a typo--after school let out in the afternoon. The school is 2 miles down the road.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM

189 posts, read 374,495 times
Yikes. I remember when I had a 75-minute bus ride way back when. Ick.

Are there shifts being suggested for middle/high school schedules as well? There's a good deal of research in the last ten years or so that has shown adolescents to be biologically wired to stay up late and sleep in. It's not just behavioral that they need to be pulled out of bed with a crowbar; for some kids, having their AP Bio class at 7AM is genuinely counterproductive. On the other hand, elementary kids are naturally wired to go to sleep early and to wake early (as I'm sure we ALL know very well). It would seem to make more sense to adjust schedules in a way that factors in how children of various ages are physiologically programmed. (Just MHO)

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd33 View Post
Has anyone else reviewed the proposed bell schedules for WCPSS next year? I personally think starting some elementary schools at 9.30 and ending at 4.00 is a move in the wrong direction. 9.05 to 3.45 is bad (read: late) enough. I see they postponed the vote on it. Anyone else with thoughts on this?
Just look at the need to stagger school starting times to keep transportation costs in check. By tiering times you enable buses to make multiple runs and reducing the costs for new buses and drivers. It is an inevitable part of growth and fiscal constraint. You either start elementary schools later or high schools earlier. You can only have students out so early waiting for buses etc etc etc.
Driver starts and completes a high school run and then heads out on their elementary or late middle school route.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Yikes. I remember when I had a 75-minute bus ride way back when. Ick.

Are there shifts being suggested for middle/high school schedules as well? There's a good deal of research in the last ten years or so that has shown adolescents to be biologically wired to stay up late and sleep in. It's not just behavioral that they need to be pulled out of bed with a crowbar; for some kids, having their AP Bio class at 7AM is genuinely counterproductive. On the other hand, elementary kids are naturally wired to go to sleep early and to wake early (as I'm sure we ALL know very well). It would seem to make more sense to adjust schedules in a way that factors in how children of various ages are physiologically programmed. (Just MHO)
Are teachers willing to take pay cuts and benefit cuts to facilitate a more friendly transportation schedule? Are tax payer willing to ante up more for the same noble goal?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
There's a good deal of research in the last ten years or so that has shown adolescents to be biologically wired to stay up late and sleep in. It's not just behavioral that they need to be pulled out of bed with a crowbar; for some kids, having their AP Bio class at 7AM is genuinely counterproductive. On the other hand, elementary kids are naturally wired to go to sleep early and to wake early (as I'm sure we ALL know very well). It would seem to make more sense to adjust schedules in a way that factors in how children of various ages are physiologically programmed. (Just MHO)
That's how it's set up in Chapel Hill/Carrboro - the elementary schools start first (7:50 -2:30), then middle (8:20 - 3:10), and the high schools last (8:45 - 3:50).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Are teachers willing to take pay cuts and benefit cuts to facilitate a more friendly transportation schedule? Are tax payer willing to ante up more for the same noble goal?
Seems like it would cost the same - just a mirror image of the more typical schedule.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
That's how it's set up in Chapel Hill/Carrboro - the elementary schools start first (7:50 -2:30), then middle (8:20 - 3:10), and the high schools last (8:45 - 3:50).

Seems like it would cost the same - just a mirror image of the more typical schedule.
Tiering cuts down on the number of buses needed and the need for drivers with more buses come more drivers. One hundred schools could be one hundred buses making a single run or more buses making two and perhaps only needing to buy/lease/contract 75 buses. This is a typical problem that accommodates growth as school construction becomes more expensive. Brick and mortar schools require capital construction costs along with the infrastructure to get kids there. As they create nodes for district assignments they will probably factor in transportation costs. Multiple departments will need to discuss where their responsibilities and need for funding overlap.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

How much larger is Chapel Hill/Carrboro? This schedule can make a lot of sense the issue becomes the late start time for extracurricular activities especially high school Fall sports as the days start to shorten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary