Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,893 times

Advertisements

My husband has been accepted to a PhD program at UNC-Chapel Hill. We will be moving there at the end of the summer and thought we'd rent an apartment for a little bit before deciding on where to buy a home. Since we are in our early 30s we want to make sure we dont end up at an undergrad party complex. Would anyone be willing to offer a recommendation on where to live if we want to be somewhat close to the school?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
Busses in Chapel Hill-Carrboro are free, so I'd look for something along the bus lines. There are many choices, but I'd prefer apartments along Airport Rd (now called Martin Luther King), or Weaver Dairy Rd. Easy access, plus you can even walk to things. I'd stay away from any complexes on Hwy 54. Just too incovenient for my taste (and I lived out there at one point!). On Weaver Dairy Rd/Timberlyne area there are a number of apartment complexes. Not sure of the ratio undergrad/grad:non-student though.
Another thought might be to look at Stratford Hills. They used to be apts, but I think they've been converted to condo units. I'm not sure though. If not, that's a great location and within walking distance to the campus. Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
It also might not hurt to ask his department's "student services manager" if they keep a list of recommended local places? Their job is to attend to needs of the students of this sort, and some of them practically do everything but wipe your nose

Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
You might consider renting a 1-bedroom place in central Carrboro. This will make your life a lot easier. They are expensive, but a 1 bedroom place between the two of you should be pretty manageable.

chwboy

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,893 times
Thank you both! We did ask someone in the department, but they sent us a huge listing of different complexes so I thought I'd ask around for more info and first hand accts. I'll have to ask the hubby to gently remind them of the nose wiping they are supposed to do

Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 AM

117 posts, read 263,767 times
Apartments of Meadowmont has many grad students and older retired folks- very quiet and you can walk across teh street for groceries, bank, restaurants.
Bus line at entrance.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 AM

276 posts, read 648,678 times
I'd recommend Glen Lennox, which is about a half-mile closer to campus than Meadowmont. I heard that Glen Lennox is getting torn down in the relatively near future to make room for a new Meadowmont-esque center to be built, but I assume for the next year or so you should be good to live there. I lived in Glen Lennox for two years and loved it. There was a great mix of people in the neighborhood, from young couples just starting out to retirees. There were definitely a few undergrads living there, but I wouldn't consider it a party neighborhood at all. And the rent was definitely reasonable, and the little cottages are just so cute!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
There's a very new and nice apartment complex by Crossland at Erwin and 15-501 that might be worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary