Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:48 PM

211 posts, read 613,473 times

Advertisements

I heard a story on NPR today about energy efficiency consultants (correct term?). Companies who come and identify areas for energy efficiency improvement. Drafty doors, windows, outlets, lack of proper insulation, setting up a vacuum and identifying cold spots, etc. Does anyone here have experience with a local firm? I had heard something about Wake Electric, my provider, (or co-ops) doing something of the kind, but I did not see anything on their website.

Can anyone hazard a guess on the costs involved?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
We are interested in finding someone to do a home energy audit as well. When we lived in MN the local electric company sent an auditor out for free. It took them about an hour and they checked HVAC, doors, windows, outlets, appliances, water heater, etc. Very thorough.

I don't see that Progress Energy offers this service here. (We don't have Wake Electric) I have not contacted them, but here's a link to an advertiser on WRAL's website - it appears they charge $199. Home : Energy Audit : Classifieds : WRAL.com.

I'm unable to locate them, but here's a link to a newsletter (2005) that mentions in the first article a company called Southface http://www.energync.net/newsletter/docs/2005/sepoctnov05.pdf (broken link)

If you're up for it, here's a link to NC Electric Cooperatives to conduct your own home energy audit. Home Energy Audit

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I can tell you that you can do a lot yourself - take your hand and run it over the window and door gaps in your house, and caulk and weather seal the gaps where you feel cold air streaming in. Make sure your insulation is properly laid out in the attic and under the house, insulate your water heater and pipes, etc. That covers the easy stuff, and if you feel you need more help, you can get a consultant for some $. They can recommend things like better windows, insulation, sealing the basement, etc.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Southern Energy Management - Solar, Energy Efficiency and Green Building Services for Your Home or Business

Old 04-26-2009, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,283 times
InteractSys Consulting provides complimentary energy assessments of residential and commercial properties. We collect data and provide custom reports around lighting, climate controls, and electrical devices. Our innovative technology and unique design implementation processes can save clients between 15-20 percent from their monthly bills.
InteractSys Consulting LLC

Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,427 times
Save the Watts

You can get a free walk through from Progress energy. Details at the link listed above.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
Default This free walk through not available in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Save the Watts

You can get a free walk through from Progress energy. Details at the link listed above.
This link is to Progress Energy -Florida. Progress Energy -Carolinas does not offer this same free home walk through service.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM

I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,748 times
I would wait for July 1 to do anything as Progress Energy is offering some pretty good rebates for energy efficiency improvements.

HEIP details - Progress Energy

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Energy Star has some info on tax rebates too:

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary