Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 12,967 times

Advertisements

I've spent some time looking through these forums, but haven't really been able to find some good, valid, up to date advise - I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy message...........

There is myself and my wife - both around 30 - moved here 2 years ago on temporary assignment from the UK (my job). We're now at a point where we have to make a decision on our future plans - do we continue to live here in Raleigh, or do we go back to the UK (suburbs of London)

Basically, we are currently on an ex-pat arrangement - with our rent & medical coverage completely paid for, along with a company car, & going back to the UK twice a year each...

Now, the deal is coming to an end and we're losing the package. Unfortunately, there has been a very minor improvement in base salary that really will not cover anything that I'm losing. At the same time, the bonus element would be reduced (halved)

We have two options - stay here in RTP with the new "deal", or move back to London. If we decide to move back the company would pay the moving costs - however there is no guarantee that there would be a job for me back there, if there is it would be on the same salary that I was on before I moved (no allowance for inflation etc). Alternatively, if we stay here we'd be sponsored for green cards....

We have no idea what to do!! Either way its a gamble - staying here would mean giving up on a lot of things - such as regularly seeing friends & family, however going back has the risk of not having a job, higher cost of living, lower quality of life etc...

One of the main considerations for us is where we'd likely start a family as that will be on the horizon over the next year or so...

Does anyone have any pointers, advise or even been in a similar position?

One thing that I'm really struggling to work out - what sort of salary is required to maintain a comfortable standard of living over here? I know we've been spoilt, but we'd have to pick up rent, car payments, insurance etc that we've not had to so far. Also, we have a place in the UK that we currently rent out - we'd likely keep this for a while and right now the rent isn't covering the mortgage (if we went back we'd be living in it)

Any pointers welcome - sorry for a random post from a newbie

I also have a question around medical benefits, but will post that seperately...

So - do we stay or do we go - any insights? What sort of salary do we need?

Thanks in advance for any help (sarcasm excluded!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM

123 posts, read 278,651 times
Default Brit here

I've been in the same boat. Ended up moving back to the Uk for about two and half years before realizing that America was the place I really wanted to be. I love England and America. London is a great city, not so sure about the suburbs? Depends where you are moving back too?
I find that we have more freedoms here in the USA than back in old blighty, I also do not like the youth culture that is now UK. Mindless violence that recieves nothing but a slap on the wrist. No respect for Police or Armed services.
Why not stay here until you have your green cards at least then if you make the wrong choice you can still return. Obtaining Visa's to work and live in the USA is very hard. Best of luck whichever choice you make.

Hey you always have BBCamerica to watch!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
I've been in the same boat. Ended up moving back to the Uk for about two and half years before realizing that America was the place I really wanted to be. I love England and America. London is a great city, not so sure about the suburbs? Depends where you are moving back too?
I find that we have more freedoms here in the USA than back in old blighty, I also do not like the youth culture that is now UK. Mindless violence that recieves nothing but a slap on the wrist. No respect for Police or Armed services.
Why not stay here until you have your green cards at least then if you make the wrong choice you can still return. Obtaining Visa's to work and live in the USA is very hard. Best of luck whichever choice you make.

Hey you always have BBCamerica to watch!
Thanks for the reply! You're right - its certainly easier to go back later ourselves rather than want to come back here...although you managed it!

Also agree with your comments about the chav culture over there completely. Do you have any insights into what sort of salary/income we'd need?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM

123 posts, read 278,651 times
I'm lucky enough to have dual nationality, both UK & USA passports.

I think the biggest shock for people moving from the UK to the USA is the cost of health insurance. As to how much money you need to live on? I'm sure that would differ a lot from one family to another.

Changing the subject a little, did you enjoy watching the political debates? Going to be very interesting next Wednesday.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM

You know - maybe its a sign of the times, but I'm beyond caring really. They're all as bad as each other! Cameron is obviously going to win, and Brown needs to stop insulting old women from what I can see

Thanks for the advise by the way - its really appreciated. $800 a month in medical coverage seems like a fortune to me - maybe $300 isnt so bad

Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 PM

93 posts, read 309,152 times
I think that what your asking about salary is an impossible question to answer. Unless you can itemize how you live how can anyone give you an answer to that question? Honestly, while you've been here you should've been doing cost of living analysis and saving the money (paying it to yourself) you would have spent on rent, insurance, utilities, car, etc.

All that being said why don't you start with your lifestyle, how much do you spend to live on things like food, clothes, entertainment, travel, recreation. Then move up to things that are necessities like rent, utilities, insurance, car, etc. If you go to your HR dept. at work they just may give you the figures of what the company has paid for you to live here for the duration of your contract. That should be a starting point, but it will not give you an actual, because I'm sure there will be discounts on those prices, that you as an individual will not receive.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous_in_new_england View Post
I think that what your asking about salary is an impossible question to answer. Unless you can itemize how you live how can anyone give you an answer to that question? Honestly, while you've been here you should've been doing cost of living analysis and saving the money (paying it to yourself) you would have spent on rent, insurance, utilities, car, etc.

All that being said why don't you start with your lifestyle, how much do you spend to live on things like food, clothes, entertainment, travel, recreation. Then move up to things that are necessities like rent, utilities, insurance, car, etc. If you go to your HR dept. at work they just may give you the figures of what the company has paid for you to live here for the duration of your contract. That should be a starting point, but it will not give you an actual, because I'm sure there will be discounts on those prices, that you as an individual will not receive.
Thanks for that - really appreciate it. I know what I'm doing nowadays, and how much the company has been paying for things on my behalf. I suppose my question was more about sustaining a "normal" lifestyle. We have been lucky I know - and while we didn't splurge or waste money, we live a lifestyle today that possibly we cannot do with the change...So really I was wondering what an average sort of income would be - to support rent/mortgage, car payment etc - they're all extremely flexible of course - but the point of these forums is to ask others for opinions, not necessarily for them to interpret my "facts"

Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,883,369 times
Hi! I'm Brit, from the North, but unlike you, been here 35yrs! Agree with above poster. You need to determine a standard of living you'd like here - cost of home, 1 or 2 cars, extras, figure up those costs to determine if the salary you'll make is acceptable.

Health Insurance - it runs the gamut. A good co will generally offer a higher quality lower cost plan, but not always. price for you as the employee could run $80- $150 mt roughly. Add a spouse, or a child could take it to $300 mt. Add a family - a spouse and 1 or more kids, it get's expensive. $300-$500. Again, many variables.

If you are self-employed, it's getting harder to get economical insurance.

The downside about the American health system is that if you have health problems an insurance co can refuse to cover you. Not sure how that will be under the new plan. Some plans from employers cover your family regardless, but you will pay for it.

I would sum up the health system here to say that if you are healthy and young, and covered by employer insurance, you have little to worry about. If you have a chronic medical condition you can pay a lot more out of pocket. And the elderly and sick really get hit hard here with medical costs. The older you get, the more expensive and harder it is to get insurance. If you lose your job, you will lose your insurance or find the cost prohibitive. This country does not treat its elderly like they are treated in the UK. After retirement you can purchase medicare insurance which isn't that great from what I've heard, but still have to pay out of pocket. Unlike the UK, you can go bankrupt here because of a health crisis. If we live long enough, we'll all get old and likely sick one day so this bears some consideration. Also, look up ave life expectancy for the US.

Sorry to sound so negative, but it is the reality.

Green cards - they used to have a rule that if you were out of the country longer than 6mts, your card would be revoked. Check on that if you get a card and consider moving back.

I've heard how it is over there. Don't blame you for not wanting to be there.

Consider also that you are far away from family. The most difficult thing I've had to deal with is my kids born here, growing up away from my family.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here. This is home. I've lived here longer than I did in the UK. But there are definitely trade-offs. You should talk with some of the folks from the Brit Meetup group who likely faced the same as you more recently than I have.

Can i ask, what is your occupation? And will your wife work?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,114,479 times
nervous_in_new_england is completely correct and gave you an excellent response.

Read the thread about saving money. Many people these days are finding out they can get by on a whole lot less than they used to.

Only you know how much your equivalent rent and utilities would be, how much you spend on food and clothing, how much you spend on the weekends, or how much you want to travel back home or go to the beach or whatever.

You've lived here a while. Even if you haven't been keeping track, you certainly can guesstimate much better than anyone else. It's not about analysis, it's just common sense.

Some people can get by with $50K, but they may not be having the time of their lives. Some people can barely get by on $100K or $150K or more.

We can throw numbers at you, but would they really help you at all?

Your "normal" may be quite a bit different from what others consider "normal." "Normal" for a lot of people has changed dramatically the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous_in_new_england View Post

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,108,657 times
I too, am a Brit living in Raleigh. I've been here since I was 20 so I've never really experience "living" in the UK...but my dad also has moved over here (he lives in NJ) and is enjoying his retirement over here and says the quality of life is better than the UK. I think other than health insurance, which is a big worry, you can live a bit cheaper over here than in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary