Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,789 times

Advertisements

OK, I hope people realize that my subject line was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but really:

We are starting to think about moving to a larger home from our brick ranch. We want to stay in Cary and West Cary appeals to us because of the shorter ride up 55 to RTP. It also seems like it will benefit from 540 (we won't be considering any home right along the highway).

Because of the larger lot sizes and the generally lower prices, as well as the maturity of the landscaping, the south of Cary appeals to us as well. I mean stuff like Lochmere, Penny road, etc. But I am hesitant that, if I end up taking a job in Durham or Chapel Hill, my commute would not be fun, whereas, in West Cary, it would be more doable.

I'm also trying to think long term in terms of where my family's activities will most likely be located. My kids will be going to a non-public school in the central part of Cary. It seems like "everyone" I know from his preschools live in West Cary or Apex and "no one" lives in south Cary. But clearly people do live there. It's not like I feel like we have to live near where everyone else does, I'm just thinking about the driving and how much easier it would be if friends and activities were 5 minutes instead of 15-20 minutes away.

Does anyone have any useful thoughts for me, and can anyone compare and contrast the way they feel these areas will develop in the future? Anything I am not considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,831 times
Those are many of the same reasons most of us moved to West/NW Cary!

There are some neighborhoods here that are 10 years old or more, look closer to High House (near Davis or 55) if you want more mature yards. We have been in our home for 4 years and put in more than 300 plants, shrubs & trees and WOW, what a difference from the builder BLAHS!

The downside with those the older homes is that many have smaller kitchens, closets, bedrooms, less open floor plans, not as energy efficient, etc.

You can look at Town of Cary's NW Plan to see what they have on the board as far as future projects & recreation opportunities. The land has been long ago been purchased and planned based on the routing of the 540. The developments that line it are no accident... they were looking to provide the quick access to RTP and homes for those folks to live knowing they wouldn't want to suffer long drives. Why spend even 30 minutes commuting when there are SO many geographical options ?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,789 times
Good points -- I bet 300 plants does make an impact!

Good idea to check out what Cary is planning. I have looked at the 540 map many times but not what the town had planned as far as development.

I love how now I am just minutes from all types of shopping and restaurants and I know things won't be that convenient when we move further out from the Maynard Loop, but I sill do want to be as convenient to things as possible. You're right the High House-Davis area could be good as a nice comprise between central Cary and the "frontier" or NW Cary. It's a pretty expensive area for the larger homes though.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM

189 posts, read 507,749 times
West Cary is convenient to RTP but the commercial development has not caught up with the residential growth for the last 10 years. One has to drive 5-10 miles for groceries, shopping, restaurants, kids activities etc, either to Beaver Creek, Brier Creek or Southpoint.

South Cary is more established and a 30 mins commute to RTP and Downtown Raleigh and 20 mins to Airport. There are many newer home neighborhoods here with big lots.
The Lochmere/Regency/Ten Ten Rd area looks a bit more upscale.

Many transplants chose to go to West Cary based on the higher school ratings, but there is not much difference in all the Cary area schools in terms of getting a good education especially in the lower grades.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM

426 posts, read 1,490,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post

You're right the High House-Davis area could be good as a nice comprise between central Cary and the "frontier" or NW Cary. It's a pretty expensive area for the larger homes though.
We looked all over and ended up buying in this area (SW Cary). I dont think its an expensive area for larger homes but I guess it depends on your definition of expensive and larger homes

Its a great area to live in. Now that both lanes on Davis dr are open Dh's commute to RTP is only 15 minutes. We are close to shopping areas, I love Beaver Creek in Apex. Schools are 1 and 3 mins away. Peaceful, laid back city living with a country feel (we had 2 acres in the country up north, so I know about country living ) Lots are 1/4 acre with lots of mature trees/landscaping. Our house is 10 yrs old but a house doesnt stay new forever and we are happy with what we have.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
West Cary is convenient to RTP but the commercial development has not caught up with the residential growth for the last 10 years. One has to drive 5-10 miles for groceries,
Certainly true for retail shopping, but there is ample access to grocery & stand alone drug stores throughout NW Cary. I cannot remember the last time I needed a pair of shoes so urgently I could not tolerate a 5 mile drive. I guess it is all what your priorities are.

We could stand some excellent restaurants, but quite honestly I am mighty pleased the big box stores have not moved in next door. I don't mind driving 5-10 miles and leave that & the traffic (like they have near Beaver Creek & Brier Creek) behind when I go home. I prefer the cluster plan so that the commercial sprawl isn't everywhere you go - give me some green space!

Commercial development can take its sweet time as far as I am concerned.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
We like living in south Cary (off Kildaire and Ten Ten). When the final portion of 540 goes in we'll be a mile from it so close, but not too close. When the portion currently under construction goes in we'll be 5 minutes from the end of that section. So still plenty close. I didn't care for W. Cary and still don't when I drive through there. I can't put my finger on it, but this area just "feels" better to me. Only you can make that decision.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
We lived in "South Cary" (Lochmere) for 4 years. It is a very aesthetically pleasing area with a lot of mature trees and foliage and well kept upscale homes that generally seem to have larger lots than it's "West Cary Twin" of Preston. I haven't lived there since 2002 and haven't been around the area since 2007 but Lochmere definitely had the feel of an area that had it's "peak" quality of life years behind it by then, at least for families. It seems like much more of an empty-nester/retirement oriented area now. It's assigned to relatively lower-quality schools than West Cary and Apex (our kids went to Dillard elementary and Middle when we still lived there and those schools were a nightmare, but when we later moved to Apex and they went to Apex Middle and Apex and Panther Creek high schools, it was a world of difference). Lochmere and Preston were both initially built up around the same time (mid 80's-mid 90's) but it seems like Preston has expanded more since the 2000's and definitely has more newer restaurants/dining/retail around it and obviously is more centrally located within the Triangle area.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
We moved to far NW Cary in 2003 and left in 2007 for just about the southeastern most neighborhood in Cary. The two homes are 19 miles apart.

Pros to NW Cary-growth, commercial development, proximity to RTP.
Cons to NW Cary-growth, commercial development, proximity to RTP.

Consider this-in January 2003 when I first went house-hunting in NW Cary,
Green Level to Durham Road was ONE LANE and GRAVEL. That's really not that long ago.

Pros to SE Cary-your housing dollar goes a lot further especially if you find the lot sizes in NW Cary less than appealing. There is a rural feel to the SE Cary area that is not particularly endangered. I really think we have more to gain from the southward expansion of 540 than West Cary does.

Cons-Obviously an RTP commute is tougher but plenty of people do it.
I'm 8 miles to Crossroads but much further from Southpoint. We are further from the airport, but it's still only 25 minutes-not bad by most standards. In addition we have virtually NO airplane noise.

We were being encroached upon in NW Cary from every angle-the town even managed to annex in land from over the county line. The west side of Yates Store Road was nothing but pine forest.

Every tradeoff we have made to move to SE Cary has been acceptable at a minimum. Very happy here.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
One has to drive 5-10 miles for groceries, shopping, restaurants, kids activities etc,
This kind of baffles me. I live in Morrisville and my family WALKS to many restaurants--chain, fast food, and small privately owned (asian, mexican, itailian, deli, etc.). We have a grocery store within a couple of miles (H-T) and many others within a 5 minute drive. There's a Wal-Mart I've never been to within a couple of minutes on 54, and Beaver Creek is about 15min if I need Target. There's a Lowe's (not the grocery, the home improvement place) within 10min. There are numerous pharmacies.

My kids' dance school is within 10 minutes. The "big" one (Cary Ballet Conservatory) is even closer. Soccer, basketball, etc. right here in town. Brownies is up the street. And there's the Mo-ville Aquatic and Fitness center a couple of miles away. Our doctor, dentist, and urgent care are all within 5-10 minutes. We do garden shopping at Garden Supply Co., about 10 min from my house, maybe less when there's less traffic. Bond Park is less than 10 minutes and hosts loads of activities (kids' acting classes, fitness classes, sports classes, etc.) as well as Spring Daze and offers lots of outdoor things to do. Cary Academy and St. Michael's are very close. Movie theater within a few minutes....

I could go on for hours. When I first moved into "The 60" (zip 27560) I thought I would wither away and die from boredom but the fact is I love it here and love watching the area grow.

Of course, I always joke that the up side living here is that we're 15-20 minutes from everything in Raleigh, Durham, and South Cary, and the down side is that we're 15-20 minutes from everything....but there's plenty here, too. Some day we'll also get our own Target, Trader Joe's, and the like, I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary