Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM

189 posts, read 507,839 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for a safe area with a well educated and diverse population, and access to great universities, then this is the good place to raise a family.
Cary and Chapel Hill have a large Asian population and also good schools.
There are lots of outdoor activities, parks, Tennis, Lakes and Greenways.

The only thing you may not like is the humidity and the bugs in summer, but you will get used to it soon (I would think So FL would be much worse).

Cary is more established and bigger than Apex but very similar and you would not notice when you cross one town from another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
Thanks everyone for all your great responses so far, very encouraging - I am very pleased to hear the area is so diverse and welcoming to interracial couples and families. I think this could be a great opportunity for our family long term-Originally coming from California there are so many things to do for families and couples of all ages-What are some of your favorite things to do in the Triangle area, cool activities, cuisine, how far to the beach, social and family friendly things in the Triangle -if you leave the Triangle does it still have the same progressive feeling, or does it change dramatically as you get away from the Metro area. What is the overall political Vibe in the area - Moderate, Liberal or Conservative? From the posts rec'd so far it seems there is plenty of great outdoor activities in general for everyone - walking trails, kayaking (COOL), Biking, tennis and beautiful parks in Cary and N. Raleigh - What do the locals who were born and raised in North Carolina feel about so many transplants coming into their home state from New York, California and New England? Is the Triangle as good as everyone keeps saying, Californians - New Yorkers - New Englanders, Floridians what are your thoughts-- Thanks so much for all the great replies, please keep them coming, we are getting very excited about our upcoming trip.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Also we will rent for 12 months to make sure that this will definitely be the place for us long term- So happy we did that in Houston- A 3 Bedroom Townhome or 1600 SQ FT house or even a new 3bd apartment will do fine- our budget 1500-1800 per month. Any recommendations helpful-We would like to buy new or newer by Q3 2011 if all goes well --Also, thanks for the info re: Chapel Hill, haven't been there yet, but will definitely check it out when I come out in 3 weeks.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Hope this helps:

Resources:
- TriangleMommies.com
- Independent Weekly: Progressive news, culture & commentary for Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill & Cary - lists events
- NewsObserver.com - major Raleigh newspaper
- PoliticalMaps.com - search for NC; Triangle is 50/50, it's more conservative outside area until you get to Asheville, NC
- Wilmington, NC, and Wrightsville Beach is south, 2 hours from Raleigh. The Outer Banks is east and takes longer. I love Jockey Ridge State Park at Outer Banks. It's all sand dunes -- like playing in a giant's sandbox.
- Fun outdoor things -- seek and you shall find them in the Triangle area. Google Falls Lake and Jordan Lake.
- I like the IMAX 3D movies at Marbles Museum and Artsplosure, the annual arts festival in Raleigh.
- Everyone LOVES to go to the beach.
- Some people go to Myrtle Beach in SC -- lots of family resorts there.
- I think this area really needs an amusement park, but people go to Myrtle Beach and Williamsburg for their "fix."
- One NC native loves that one NY native arrived here because I married him.

This area isn't paradise by any means. It all depends upon where you're coming from and what you want. I had a far more active life in Rochester, NY, (Lake Ontario, all the Finger Lakes, tons of festivals, Canada and Niagara Falls 2 hours away, skiing 45 minutes away, lots of friends and relatives.)

The center of North Carolina isn't the most naturally beautiful place; the mountains and the beach are, so that's why people enjoy living between them. But there are lots of trees here and lots of parks, so it's nice in that way. Not many vistas/views, except at Jordan Lake, which is a drive. There are probably lots more things to do in California than here in the Triangle, but you can find things to do, and you can be happy.

Despite what any magazine says, the Triangle area has been hard hit in the recession, so others reading this should keep that in mind and not come here without a job. There are still plenty of people suffering.

Here's an intersting thread, too:
Newcomer? Triangle Terms and Survival Guide

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all your great responses so far, very encouraging - I am very pleased to hear the area is so diverse and welcoming to interracial couples and families. I think this could be a great opportunity for our family long term-Originally coming from California there are so many things to do for families and couples of all ages-What are some of your favorite things to do in the Triangle area, cool activities, cuisine, how far to the beach, social and family friendly things in the Triangle -if you leave the Triangle does it still have the same progressive feeling, or does it change dramatically as you get away from the Metro area. What is the overall political Vibe in the area - Moderate, Liberal or Conservative? From the posts rec'd so far it seems there is plenty of great outdoor activities in general for everyone - walking trails, kayaking (COOL), Biking, tennis and beautiful parks in Cary and N. Raleigh - What do the locals who were born and raised in North Carolina feel about so many transplants coming into their home state from New York, California and New England? Is the Triangle as good as everyone keeps saying, Californians - New Yorkers - New Englanders, Floridians what are your thoughts-- Thanks so much for all the great replies, please keep them coming, we are getting very excited about our upcoming trip.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-10-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM

...BRENTWOOD..I think the same thing happened to me today ( Computer locked up) so frustrating.... "Everyone LOVES to go to the beach"...I have to agree with that one, so how are the beach areas in N.C.--warm water? we have friends who live 10 min from Wrightsville Beach, and absolutely love living in that area--I will go next month for the first time-

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I never go more than up to my knees in the ocean. So it always feels cold. I prefer the pool!

But it's warmer than the Pacific Ocean...much more swimmable.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Beaches range from 2 hours (Wrightsville, Carolina) to 3 hours (Atlantic/Emerald Isle etc), to longer (Outer Banks in NE NC). Yes, the water is warm and swimmable from probably Memorial Day (earlier if you're brave ) to well into October.

As far as "cool activities"--you name it, you can find it.

Political climate? Well, NC is a "purple state". We went for Obama in 2008, but were his smallest margin of winning. Usually we are Red at the national level, but our Congressional delegation is always split and currently we have one of each in the Senate. Howeve,r at the state level, NC has been Democratic (governor, majority of statehouses) for a long time. BUT, it's "Southern Democrats", which are kind of like New England Republicans. In short, it's hard to peg.

NC is one of the more progressive states in the South, always has been. But it's not "liberal", especially for someone from CA. In general, it's a center-right state but there are always surprises from the Legislature and generally we havee a hands-off govt. I am a gay man who's native to the state, so I pay attention to such matters. NC is the only Southern state (and one of only 20 at all) with no constitutional amendment defining "marriage", and that's thanks to a strong GLBT Equaliy lobbying group as well as some connected friendly Legislators. The state is very often "hands off" for govt intrusion, despite the bad taste (I'm editorializing ere, obviously) a certain Senator Helms left in the mouths of many.

It's no California, but the Triangle is definitely the "Blue" area. Outside the area, you will encounter conservatives, but they aren't usually "in your face" about it. And it's unquestionably a more religious state than California--but again, usually people are pretty keep-to-themselves about religion. They might have Bible verses hanging up in their cubicle, but otherwise, you'd never realize they were at all devout. When you move here, you may be asked about joining a church, but it's a friendly thing, not a proselytizing one. MOSTLY.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
I'm at Wrightsville right now...exactly two hours from our house in Cary. We're still early in the season, so water temp is only 68 or so...a bit chilly. Air temps are only topping out in the low 70s with rather brisk winds these during this brief cold snap we're having. Temps were in the mid-to-upper 80s last week and will be again later in the week.

Give it a couple more weeks when things are solidly warm and it'll be hopping though Labor Day and warm well beyond then.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM

That's a great post Francois - I think I took lot of things for granted when growing up & living on the the West Coast, Bay Area, SoCal SD-OC-L.A. - the political climate, diversity, entertainment, great weather, the terrain and geography etc.. When we moved to Texas last year --It was more of a culture shock for me than for my wife --even though I am right down the middle/left on most things, I couldn't believe that almost the entire state of TX was still loving the Bush/Cheney ticket to the very end--when we left CA think he had a 19% approval rating Ca in Q1 2009-.. Now there are a few good things I like about Houston- Nice people, Polite, Good Schools outside of the city, Not a over regulated city, Cost of living, No State Income Tax, Decent weather Oct-April....but it was kind of like moving to another country coming from CA, tougher transition than I thought--Before we moved and my job gave us the opportunity to transfer to Houston -most of my time away from CA has been traveling to NYC, Boston, DC or up in Seattle area-pretty cultural places...I think from my short time in NC, the people were some of the best, well educated and polite I have ever met...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 7,510 times
There are many Koreans in Cary. There are a couple Korean restaurants and at least a couple Korean churches. My son is Korean and we've met many other Koreans here.. In fact, that is the main reason we moved here! I think you and your family will love Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary