Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 04:18 PM

61 posts, read 163,484 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Chapel Hill for July 1 and we would appreciate any advice. We have about 500k to spend but really want to spend around 350 and put another 50 -60 into a house to make it the way we want. We saw a few homes in the Timberlyn area off of Weaver Dairy Road that seem like they would be great options with a little TLC. However, we do not know much about chapel hill, as we have been living in NY for the past 5 years, and welcome any insight about the area. We are 28 and will hopefully have kids in the next year or two. Are there any concerns about this area? Any information good and bad will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 PM

305 posts, read 767,914 times
I think the Timberlyne area is very nice as far as I know. There aren't really many "bad" neighborhoods in Chapel Hill. Sounds fine to me.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
The north end of Chapel Hill is a wonderful area. It's far enough from the UNC campus that you don't see too much college influence. It offers easy access to I-40 for commutes to RTP or Raleigh, or shopping in Durham. Plenty of restaurants. And of course great Chapel Hill schools.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I agree with the two positive posts above. However I don't know how much "improvements" $50K will buy. You could easily spend that much on just modernizing 1 basic kitchen. Personally I would rather spend the extra money to get as close to what I want right away rather than mess with contractors, permits, delays and cost overs.

This area has a great concentration of families and I rarely see students unless I go into Carrboro or Chapel Hill downtown or on campus.

Alot of people think since Chapel Hill is mainly known as a college town that we all dodge drunken students night and day. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,642 times
This is totally my opinion. One of my best friends lives in that neighborhood. She has a lovely home. But----nobody talks to them. Their neighbors are all older (50+) w/teenagers or college-aged kids. It is very lonely for them. I know that not everyone wants to know their neighbors, but we are just a little bit older than you and didn't want to live in "our parent's neighborhood". I have other friends who live in Lake Hogan Farms area and they are much more open and friendly.

I would do many drive-bys and see what the demographics of the area are before taking the plunge. It's hard moving to a new area and not knowing a soul. We found the newer neighborhoods to be full of transplants who are quite friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary