Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM

9 posts, read 35,874 times

Advertisements

Got some hail damage on Saturday, we have a newer 2011 SUV ( not sure if it matters) but we did file an insurance claim... They're supposed to come out to look at it on In a few days. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had an insurance estimate already!? ( not auto- body shop estimate) I've never filed an insurance claim before and I have no idea how much the damage esimate might be. We did get hit with golfball sized hail, no broken glass, but it did crack two of our plastic panels that frame the back passenger windows, and as far as dents go, I'd say there are about 20 total, all half dollar or slightly bigger, one on the metal trim piece that runs the length of the car, but most are on the roof and hood with only a couple to the doors. Any idea how much the insurance may estimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Usually, when a claim is made the company send an adjuster to look at the damages or in instances of hail they will set up an appointment to look at the vehicle. You bring your car in and they take a look. Generally they will cut you a check. You can go body shop or a couple of shops and they will offer you an estimate.

Any amounts for repairs would be a best guess.

In all the years I've been driving I've only made one claim on an auto policy. In my case the pickup was a total loss.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 35,874 times
Yep, I have a pretty good idea how all the insurance stuff works, just wondering if anyone has had an esimate yet?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmomma View Post
Yep, I have a pretty good idea how all the insurance stuff works, just wondering if anyone has had an esimate yet?
We were lucky to be out of town this past weekend.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmomma View Post
That was Saturday this is Tuesday.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Today's body shops are amazing. My oldest daughter had over $ 4,000 in hail damage on her car last summer. You could not count the hail "dimples" they were so numerous. When the body shop got through with it, you could not see ANY damage. The insurance company paid based on the estimate minus her deductible of course. She was very pleased.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
In my experience, the insurance company came out and took a look and wanted to cut a check. The problem was, nobody would fix it for the amount of the check.

Next time it happened, I put in a claim and the insurance said they'd set up an appointment in a week. During that week, I went to a couple body shops and got estimates from them. I had the estimates in hand when the insurance tried to cut me a check. I told them, No, wait a minute, that won't fix it, and I showed them the estimate. They immediately cut me a check for the lowest of the estimates I had. So the check they gave me was larger than the initial one they tried to give me.

I highly recommend you go and have at least one body shop take a look and give you an estimate, so you have some idea if the insurance company is trying to low ball you. You might get lucky and have an adjuster cut you a check for more than what your estimate says. I wouldn't show it to the adjuster, unless they do try to low ball you. Your insurance is supposed to "fix it", no matter what it costs and cutting a check before it's fixed is them trying to get away with less money. Of course, there is also no reason you can't cash the check and not fix it. That is also your right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City