Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 14,745 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am single, 46, no family. I currently live in Staten Island, NY. It's a suburb of NYC. I hate living here despite growing up here; crowds, traffic, and cost of living are horrendous. Taxes and government interference by regulation is ridiculous.

I am more of a country person who loves western culture , country music and small towns but I don't totally want to give up some city elements, mainly dining out and shopping. I have an extensive background in hotel and restaurant work.

Politically, I am a conservative leaning Libertarian who likes being active in politics.
Is Rapid City a good fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,159 times
Possibly.
At age 46 employment opportunities will probably be a priority. Because of the close proximity to the Black Hills and I-90, Rapid has a large number of Hotels, Motels, & restaurants for its population. While wages are lower here, the cost of living is also considerably less than in NYC. You will also find that congestion, air pollution, & government are considerably less. Rapid is the health care, shopping, & entertainment center for about a 150 mile radius, so you should find the amenities you want. South Dakota is politically conservative with the area west of the Missouri river being more conservative than east river.

The climate here is drier than anything east of the Mississippi. I love it, but many people enjoy humidity. The altitude in Rapid is roughly 4000 feet higher than in NY. If you have any respiratory problems, you may want to give the move some additional thought. There are many other factors to consider, but most of them will require a visit to see how you like it.
Good Luck
uh

Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
UH is right. You need to visit, preferably more than once, before you make the jump. You may find that Rapid City is a good fit for you. However, you may also find it a bit of a culture shock. Yes, there is some diversity. Yes, there are some good places (especially local ones!) to eat. There is adequate shopping, but definitely not what you are used to (I spent 20 years on the east coast, and I have friends near Staten Island, so I can say this with authority). I occasionally miss EC shopping, but thankfully there is the internet. The culture here is different - much more laid back, easy going, and friendly. People are not in a hurry here. There is a bit of the small town element here - you will not be used to so many people in your business! You will likely learn to know your neighbors if you live in one spot for a while (longer than 24 hours, for instance). There is relatively little in the way of public transit. There is a bus system, and taxis, but not what you are used to. Your own vehicle is a great idea. You can live without one, but why would you want to when there is so much just outside of Rapid City to explore?

Wages are lower, but so are taxes, housing and food. Your hospitality background should serve you well, as Rapid City is a tourism hub for the Black Hills and points west. The sheer number of hotels and restaurants in this area is definitely at a higher ratio than non-tourist areas of the same population. I would venture a guess that there are as many hotels and restaurants here as the city in NW Indiana that I moved here from, and there are over 200K people living there. There are fewer than half that living in Rapid City/Ellsworth AFB combined. The bulk of our tourism occurs in the summer (May - Sept) season, but we see a brisk flow of retirees during shoulder season (Mar-Apr, Oct-Nov). There are also conferences, sports and rodeos that bring people in during the winter. So, hopefully, with your skill set, employment won't be an issue. Just don't expect the same income - I would not be surprised if it were less than half of what you are used to. But keep it in context. A one bedroom flat won't run you $2000 a month here, either.

Let us know if you have more specific questions - we're glad to help!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
He started a thread in the Sioux Falls section asking the same question of Sioux Falls. Given what he asked in each of the threads I opined that Sioux Falls might be more to his liking. I also made the suggestion that he visits first before deciding.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 PM

21 posts, read 39,886 times
Default Another thought...

Another consideration for Rapid City is the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August. Motorcycle traffic increases significantly during that time, and this year marks the 75th anniversary of the Rally. If you don't mind the sound of motorcycles for two weeks, no problem. Should be interesting. (My apologies if this posts twice--haven't used this forum in quite some time.)

Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimondwillo View Post
Another consideration for Rapid City is the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August. Motorcycle traffic increases significantly during that time, and this year marks the 75th anniversary of the Rally. If you don't mind the sound of motorcycles for two weeks, no problem. Should be interesting. (My apologies if this posts twice--haven't used this forum in quite some time.)
The other 49 or 50 weeks it is often quiet and peaceful. As annoying as trailer week is, it marks the end of summer and I tend to become a bit depressed.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,745 times
Default Thank you

Thank you for all of your help and comments. I looked at Sioux Falls too. I live in Staten Island, I pay 1,100 for a 1 bedroom apartment plus I have to pay my own gas, electric, and cable. So, it's about 1,600 per month including utilities. My car insurance is $2,400 a year for basic liability and comprehensive (fire/theft/vandalism). It's killing me, I make $70,000/year. After Federal, State, City, and FICA taxes I lose 50% of my income causing me to live paycheck to paycheck in place with constant standstill traffic, noise, rude people, graffiti and pollution everywhere. I hate it here.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,604 times
I came from Colorado over twenty years ago. When I go back to visit family I can't wait to get home. There aren't very many democrats up here but there's also less crime, traffic, and the people are great. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City