Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:16 PM

16 posts, read 27,334 times

Advertisements

Planning a Summer trip to see both areas this year. Would like to relocate to SD in next couple of years but need to figure out where. Any thoughts on the decision of Sioux Falls vs Rapid City?? Appreciate any comments/observations..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 05:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
What is your career and training? What are your activities and preferences? What are your goals?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:45 PM

I am an RN with extensive work history in Mental Health. Have two children in their 20's that would relocate along with me and other family members so looking for something for them. They will have degrees in Business.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Sioux Falls will have more jobs, especially for business degrees, but Rapid City is a nicer area -- better weather year-round, more sunshine, close access to the beautiful Black Hills (and three hours to the tall mountains further west). But it is pretty remote, as in no close cities. Sioux Falls is within reach of Minneapolis, if that's important to you.

You're from Wisconsin, and Sioux Falls is in an area similar to that -- midwest farm country.

For me, originally an Iowa kid who fell in love with mountains while stationed in Alaska, the choice would be easy. I like Rapid City. It's a little large for me now, as it's grown substantially in recent decades, but it's still a nice, smaller city in a very pretty area. Summers are cooler, winters are warmer, and the choice of outdoor activities abound.

Added note: Winters are a slightly longer in Rapid City due to the higher elevation.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Added note: Winters are a slightly longer in Rapid City due to the higher elevation.
We don't get as cold and miserable as Sioux Falls in the winter. The cold the eastern side of the state has, is a special cold that cuts to the bone.

Rapid's winters are a bit more mild. The Black Hills offer a measure of protection.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,515 times
After living in Wisconsin for a couple of decades I decided to move west to a drier climate. The humidity there just made the winters too chilled. I chose Hot Springs for a number of reasons, the most important of which was the climate. If that is a factor in your move, you probably would not like Sioux Falls because the winters are very similar to central Wisconsin. However, pursuing various careers seems to be a priority for you and several family members. If that is so, Sioux Falls would be a winner over Rapid, both for available opportunities and for income.

uh

Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM

Truly I appreciate all of these comments and the information they bring. Is there a big need for RN's from what you know?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone Charlie View Post
Truly I appreciate all of these comments and the information they bring. Is there a big need for RN's from what you know?
Yes. Finding an RN job should be easy. Regional Health has several facilities. Also, Soo San hospital is an Indian Health Service hospital.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Default Job opportunity

From what little I have read, it will be difficult to find jobs in the Business area? Is Rapid city a good place to start a business?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone Charlie View Post
From what little I have read, it will be difficult to find jobs in the Business area? Is Rapid city a good place to start a business?
It depends on the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City