Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Grew up there and I live in Denver now.

The Black Hills are beautiful, I grew up in a small town there and enjoyed it. Tons of hiking, the deadwood for gambling and partying and there’s a decent ski resort with high speed quads. Boating, fishing and off-road and horse trails. The outdoors in western S.D. is hard to beat IMO. I honestly like it more than the front range anymore, Denver has so many people you can be 15 miles down a trail and still see people everywhere.

That’s all within a 30-40 min drive to Rapid City.

As mentioned, the weather is awesome. I lived in South TX for awhile, I wouldn’t move there for any amount of money. The weather is brutal

As far as dining and bars go there’s not much. The winery’s in the hills are okay, there seems to be a couple nice little breweries popping up in Rapid. I love Tally’s but most the dining there are chains.
Jobs there are very low paying and it’s not exactly a cheap place to live as compared to NE/OK/IA

All in all, it be tough to get me away from Denver but I’d consider Rapid again.
^^^^^This. When I lived in Denver I used to visit the Black Hills, Rushmore etc. Loved it. I'd fly into KCUT (Custer), which is a nice little General Aviation airport. The airport manager would lend me his old Jeep CJ-7, and we'd tool around the Black Hills exploring. The people, and scenery are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:12 PM

125 posts, read 183,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I was gonna give some input, but I don't like it when entitled and demanding people move to areas that are really nice and just the opposite. My word of advice, stay where you are unless you can leave the snarky unpleasantness where you come from. Rapid City is a great area with really good people....don't ruin it. Sounds like the northeast is where you would best fit in.
What the hell are you talking about? I really didn't notice anything wrong with any of their posts.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I really didn't notice anything wrong with any of their posts.
Then maybe you don't know people? I dunno, can't really help you if you don't see it. I stand by what I said.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:05 PM

60 posts, read 114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
If the comment is directed at me (the OP), he's decrying my [alleged] snarky demeanor by being snarky and demeaning (irony!) while missing the fact that it was me who was originally complaining about the entitled and demanding attitudes of the Northeastern senior citizens who come to winter in Florida where I am presently domiciled, thus prompting my desire for relocation (and thus also separating myself from those who he dislikes).

I understand his attitude, even though the logic doesn't hold up in the ad-hominem attack. I don't want MORE snowbirds to come here because they're a$$holes, and he doesn't want MORE [people] to come to S.D. for the same reason.

Last edited by RustedFox; 01-08-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM

414 posts, read 973,321 times
THE PEOPLE. Nice as can be. Think of a city full of Mary Ann's.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:47 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
THE PEOPLE. Nice as can be. Think of a city full of Mary Ann's.
Yep, the people are hard to beat, the scenery, the size, and the access to BLM land for outdoor activities. Rapid City is pretty hard to beat.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:39 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
If you make the trip this spring and have comments, I'd read it and so would others.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:19 AM

60 posts, read 114,602 times
Thanks for the reply:

We're looking at August/September dates. Family stuff came up in the springtime months, so that stuff has to be done.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Alright. I might get up there sometime in next few months.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 AM

For locals: what do you consider the best guidebook to the Black Hills? In general, for hiking, mountain biking, camping?

People vary on sharing favorite places. If inclined, what are some of your favorite trails, camp spots, fishing spots? Favorite RC city park or trail?

When is peak wildflower season? Peak fall colors?
Is winter access to the forest: bad, ok, better? The paved roads generally open or closed or rough? I assume most of the dirt roads get impassable except by snowmobile or mega 4X4 truck?

Summertime humidity or bad bug issues?

Downtown (Rapid City or Spearfish) at night safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City