Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 PM

75 posts, read 252,476 times

Advertisements

We are doing a preliminary search on apartments in Rapid City. We are willing to pay a bit more for a decent area. Safety and lack of noise is a big plus. It's just the two of us, but a senior oriented complex isn't needed. I'm of retirement age but still very healthy and active. What are the following complexes like as far as the area is concerned? Candlewood, Harmony Heights Premiere, Pointe West, Country Bluff, and Bridgewood Estates.

On a different subject, Danny, why are you going to the Twin Cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
Candlewood is a nice apartment complex on the Westside. It's kind of in the South Canyon/Berry Pines area. That area is older (60s-70s) and the apartment complex was probably built in the 80s. It's on a very quiet sidestreet and there is a park and hiking trails across the street.

Harmony Heights is a newer apartment complex on the Northwest part of town. However, they have senior townhomes too. It's in kind of a weird spot because you have to go through an industrial park to get to it, but it's very pretty and Fountain Springs GC is right next to it.

Pointe West is on the Westside and it has AWESOME views! It's in a very quiet neighborhood too on top of a hill.

Country Bluff is on the Southside right on 5th Street and about 2 blocks from the hospital. It's pretty nice and very convenient to get to Rushmore Road and Downtown. 5th Street is also a very popular jogging/biking/walking path because the sidewalks are so wide.

Bridgewood is also on the Southside. It's probably about 20 years old and I had a friend that lived there. The apartments are very spacious and they have an indoor pool, outdoor pool, spa, etc. It's right off Minnesota Street which is also a very nice street to jog/bike/walk on. It's also surrounded by retirement communities so it's very quiet.

Hope that helps you out some! Others that you may want to look at are Corral Park, Fairway Hills, and Stoney Creek Highlands. Really, other than the Northside and some low-income apartments, most will be very quiet and convenient to most places.

And on another note, I am moving to the Twin Cities to start school this fall. I'm actually going up with some friends this Thursday to look at apartments so I'm your boat as far as the housing search too!

Last edited by DannyBanany; 07-05-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Got an apartment complex mixed up! Haha!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the info on the apartments. I'd like to return the favor for you with the Twin Cities, but it's been eleven years since I've been there. Used to go there once or twice a year for meetings and training sessions for the company I worked for. The Cities are nice, but winters are too long.

Hope to check out the apartments within the next month or two. Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM

Yeah, the winters in The Cities are pretty brutal. Come to think of it, the summers are pretty brutal too! I don't like the humidity! But it's only for school and there's a lot to see and do up there. I'm pretty excited to go.

Best of luck on the move! And keep the questions coming!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Talk of the cities... Story of my life, every time I end up in the cities its always between January and March.

I was in Rochester last February for a week, While it was 40s in the hills while it was teens and 20s in Rochester. It was that Minnesota/Brookings/Watertown cold. The worst part was driving back on crappy roads with ice, snow and cold.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 AM

RJ, I know what you mean. I was up there in January and it was a frozen version of hell. However, I was up there again this May and it was absolutely beautiful. Nicer than Rapid City even!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
RJ, I know what you mean. I was up there in January and it was a frozen version of hell. However, I was up there again this May and it was absolutely beautiful. Nicer than Rapid City even!
Wow, May and June are the best months in Rapid.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM

955 posts, read 3,649,123 times
If I was picking I'd probably pick Stoney Creek Highlands myself - followed by Harmoney Heights

Stoney Creek Highlands

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 AM

43 posts, read 121,753 times
Son lived in Bridgewood for a while and the moved to just down the road to Carriage Green. Durong the years he was at both I was there a lot of time as I took care of G-daughter. I really can't say anything against Bridgewood but Carriage Green is by far the place I would want to live in (IF I wanted to live in an apartment).

Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks for all the info. My wife and I will be up there for a "look see" in the next month or so to check things out. We'll look at the various apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City