Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 AM

48 posts, read 161,201 times

Advertisements

First, thank you for your time in advance. We are looking for expert opinions (I think we will find it here!) on weather to change out painted masonite siding to vinyl siding. House: Frederick, MD., 4 level split, 2/3 brick,1/3 is masonite siding. Nice neighborhood, built in '73. Masonite beautifully maintained-but thinking about a potential buyer in the future. What does a buyer typically think when they see a house that will need exterier painting as routine maintenence in the future? Put $6-7,000 in exterier siding (and hope to recoup) or leave it be (looks good-thanks to excellent painting)?
Also the bottom level of the house is unfinished-would add 750' bumping the finished square feet up to 3,000+. Finish or leave it for storage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboundgirl View Post
First, thank you for your time in advance. We are looking for expert opinions (I think we will find it here!) on weather to change out painted masonite siding to vinyl siding. House: Frederick, MD., 4 level split, 2/3 brick,1/3 is masonite siding. Nice neighborhood, built in '73. Masonite beautifully maintained-but thinking about a potential buyer in the future. What does a buyer typically think when they see a house that will need exterier painting as routine maintenence in the future? Put $6-7,000 in exterier siding (and hope to recoup) or leave it be (looks good-thanks to excellent painting)?
Also the bottom level of the house is unfinished-would add 750' bumping the finished square feet up to 3,000+. Finish or leave it for storage?
What's your price range in comparison to home values in your area? Would you consider it upscale, middle-of-the-road, starter home? I only ask because many buyers of upscale homes would want the Masonite siding instead of vinyl, and can pay someone to come stain/paint it every couple of years.

Depending on your area, a few years ago you could finish your basement and get it all back and then some on the sale. Now, maybe not so much (depending on where you live). You might be lucky to break even. The only time I would highly recommend it is if it turns a 3 bedroom home into a legal 4 bedroom home with an additional bath, and you are in a family-friendly area (where a 4 BR is usually more desirable).

HTH!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
I personally hate vinyl siding, so I would leave the masonite, especially if it is in good shape!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,415 times
Quote:
I only ask because many buyers of upscale homes would want the Masonite siding instead of vinyl, and can pay someone to come stain/paint it every couple of years.
Eek...I AVOID homes that have masonite! I guess for some reason it has a stigma attached to it down here in our area. Sort of like pre 96 stucco.

I would definately prefer vinyl over masonite. However, if your home is on the upper end like magellan was talking about, you may consider the concrete (hardi) siding. I understand it's alot more durable than vinyl, but guess what? Still have to paint it....

We have owned two vinyl sided homes, never had any problem with either. No warping or separation. The house we're in now we've been in 6 years and it looks as good (new) today as the day we moved in when it was brand new. Upkeep is way easy...

My boss's son had his masonite home up for sell for a long while, couldn't sell it. He eventually resided it (he did the hardi, though), and it sold pretty quickly afterward.

Last edited by PotterGeek; 09-26-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
I paid $850K + for my house and it has vinyl siding. I don't think it should make a difference and it is easier to maintain and repair.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 AM

48 posts, read 161,201 times
Thanks everyone!! Having a problem quoting-so....
Magellan: The house is upscale-although nicest in neighborhood looks and sizewise. 3 bdrm (+office or bdrm), Formal LR, Formal DR, big FR, 2 1/2 baths, could use a little cosmetic updating inside. (sorry Dad ) Several newer "country club McMansions" neighborhoods around.
Thanks for the thoughts about the basement too....I will have my Dad read your posts-food for thought. PS. Nothing wrong with vinyl siding, have it myself! Just trying to get into a buyers head and figure out whether to put $$ into changing it for a future sale (and get Dad off the ladder too!)

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboundgirl View Post
Thanks everyone!! Having a problem quoting-so....
Magellan: The house is upscale-although nicest in neighborhood looks and sizewise. 3 bdrm (+office or bdrm), Formal LR, Formal DR, big FR, 2 1/2 baths, could use a little cosmetic updating inside. (sorry Dad ) Several newer "country club McMansions" neighborhoods around.
Thanks for the thoughts about the basement too....I will have my Dad read your posts-food for thought. PS. Nothing wrong with vinyl siding, have it myself! Just trying to get into a buyers head and figure out whether to put $$ into changing it for a future sale (and get Dad off the ladder too!)
I have vinyl too and certainly don't have a problem with it, but it's standard in our price range in our area. There are several neighborhoods near us that prohibit vinyl siding (although people will do hardi board or cedar siding more than masonite), so that's why I asked about your price range.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,844,109 times
Are others in your area doing siding? are you one of the few that isn't? It will hurt you when you sell. Personally, I would rather see you side it now, so you can get some enjoyment out of it and not have to paint again. You may not get the full amount out of it, but you won't have to make that concession at the time of sale....

Shelly

Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
How much more would the hardi board siding be? Is it priced about the same as vinyl? That would be my choice, I've read good things about it, so far. I know you have to paint it, but have heard from several people on the boards here that they have had it 10 plus years, without having to repaint. Probably depends on your climate...

Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,109 times
I agree! HardiePlank™ siding is a great choice and it gives a nice finish to a home. If your neighborhood is primarily Masonite, I recommend going with this product instead of vinyl. Your home will maintain its quality appearance and curb appeal. I have been encouraging my new construction buyers to opt for that instead of the Vinyl. JamesHardie makes one of the best products on the market. Check it out at: James Hardie: World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard. Beautiful product and you can paint it when you tire of the color! As a sidenote, it especially looks nice when you pair it with cultured stone like the products that OwensCorning makes (Cultured Stone® - Stone Veneer and Brick Veneer). Hope that helps! Oh! And make sure you get a contractor that knows how to work with the product. Best of luck!

Last edited by CellarBelle; 09-26-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Typo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals