Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 03:50 PM

36 posts, read 110,326 times

Advertisements

I've been okay with the broker that I selected after getting my license a year ago. My husband and I bought a small income property a couple months ago in his name, we obviously didn't use a realtor, since I am one. We also don't have the same last name, I never changed mine. He went to pick up some mail from the rental that was arriving there and found a letter from one of the other head brokers, (same brokerage as myself) thanking him for using their brokerage services and if he ever needed further real estate services for future purchases to please call her and she provided her contact info (they have never met before no soap opera here)Now, is this normal??? Wouldn't you assume if they're going to mail something out they would include MY name since I was his realtor or that they wouldn't mail anything out at all and just leave that up to me since he was my "client" or that if they did send out a thank you letter, she wouldnt include her business card with reference that he call her in particular. It kind of felt like she was soliciting my client. What do you guys think, am I over reacting, is this a normal practice?

Last edited by VidaPeach; 04-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 04:09 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Are you saying another agent from another company sent him a "thank you" and insinuated they used that agent ?

I'm pretty hard headed and if that's the case I would call the agent and ask what the heck is going on. I'd also send a complaint to the local board and push it.

Nothing I hate worse than someone in this business who outright lies.

Do I have understand that correctly ?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM

36 posts, read 110,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Are you saying another agent from another company sent him a "thank you" and insinuated they used that agent ?

I'm pretty hard headed and if that's the case I would call the agent and ask what the heck is going on. I'd also send a complaint to the local board and push it.

Nothing I hate worse than someone in this business who outright lies.

Do I have understand that correctly ?

No sorry, one of the other head brokers that works w/my broker (same brokerage as myself)

Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidaPeach View Post
No sorry, one of the other head brokers that works w/my broker (same brokerage as myself)
Understand. If she knew you were the agent I would have a talk with your boss so she could handle it and make sure she does.

If she made a Rookie mistake I could undersand she needs to learn what's proper. If she's not a rookie then

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I'm not sure that i understand your terminology, and perhaps laws are different in Texas, but in NC -

the Client legally/technically hires the brokerage. The broker-in-charge often sends thank you's to the brokerage's clients, and since front-line agents frequently change companies, they might give it the "in the future, if you have a need call me".

So, you could have a simple conversation with this person, and asked them if they knew. i wonder how large your brokerage/office is if they had not found out from you beforehand that this sale actually was your own.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM

34 posts, read 81,330 times
I'm not sure what your question is?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Understand. If she knew you were the agent I would have a talk with your boss so she could handle it and make sure she does.

If she made a Rookie mistake I could undersand she needs to learn what's proper. If she's not a rookie then
This...but it could be as simple as that broker farms that neighborhood and sends it to every new owner and simply was an oversight. Get more info and go from there.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
I am the Broker-Owner of a small RE/MAX office. Even in my small firm, I seldom get to know the parties of my associate's deals. If you are happy with your brokerage in every other manner, then take the high road and accept that your broker meant well. Heck, an administrative assistant could have made the mistake.

You do bring up a good question for me. Would you, if not a self-representing Realtor, have appreciated a note from the owners/managers of the firm?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You do bring up a good question for me. Would you, if not a self-representing Realtor, have appreciated a note from the owners/managers of the firm?
Tom, Our offices send out personal letters from our management every time we get a new listing or close a home.

It's very effective and part of our marketing program.

If we go on a listing presentation and would like, our office manager will follow up with a personal phone call to the prospective seller if we request her to do. It's one more step in helping secure the business and just adds that personal touch.

Sounds like you run a good company.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Normal
Quote:
a letter from one of the other head brokers, (same brokerage as myself) thanking him for using their brokerage services
not normal
Quote:
and if he ever needed further real estate services for future purchases to please call her and she provided her contact info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals