Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 AM

606 posts, read 1,979,465 times

Advertisements

I have found a place that is perfect for me, a run down dilapidated house (1912) with 4 outbuildings, on 90 dry acres in south central Montana. It is over an hour outside of any town or city limits. It's listed with a realtor in Billings and I have sent a contact form to him stating my interest. It's listed for $140,000, appraised at $70,000. I have yet to have heard back and it's been 3 days.

I would very much like to approach the seller with an offer for C for Deed. Is there any way to do this with the Realtor's blessing, or is the Realtor going to fight it because of the loss of commission?

Like many people nowadays (since the "crash"), there's no way I can bank finance the place or even put a realistic (bankers) amount down. The market in that area is great for small ranchettes and estates, but not so good for ranchland like this place. I'm seeing listings like this one that have been on the market for over 2 years.

What is the best way to bring this up? Should I keep trying the Realtor, or just go ahead and call the owner directly? I hate doing an end run around the Realtor, since that contract is his bread and butter.

How can I handle this and keep everyone happy?

Thanks for you professional input!!

Tracey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Make a written offer to the realtor. He has to give it to the owner. If you don't hear back contact the owner to see if your offer was presented. You can always talk to the agent and let the agent do a double end deal where he keeps all the commission.

If you don't care go straight to the owner.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM

404 posts, read 898,571 times
Default Go West, Young Lady

There may not be a great solution for you, but here’s some input.

Owner financing, i.e. a purchase money mortgage, would be safer for you than a land contract.

There is no reason an agent can’t help you do a deal with either owner financing or contract for deed, although more difficult if you are trying to work with no down payment.
And if you are trying to work with no down payment, it’s not likely the owner would be interested in giving you a deal.

Try to get the agent once more time, call him, if no contact immediately, then go ahead and contact the Seller. The Seller will wake up the agent.
Or you may want to skip that, and pick a different agent from another listing, and ask that agent to help you.

Is your source of the “appraisal” reliable?
Is it an assessed value?
Is it a value from Zillow?
More than likely it is not something you should give much credence.

If you are seeing this listing on Zillow or similar, are you certain it is still available?
Could that be the reason the agent is not responding to you?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Feel free to contact the Seller directly. That's not cutting out the agent since, in all probability, a commission would still be owed to the Listing Broker should the Seller sell the property to you.

If you do proceed in trying to get some type of seller financing, however, you need to do all of the typical due diligence--and then some--as if you were buying in a normal bank-financed or cash transaction. You should also get an experienced real estate attorney to make sure that everything is done correctly. Far too many people enter into owner-financed contracts and live to regret it. Don't be one of them.

Of course, if you don't have enough money for a suitable down payment, you probably don't have to worry about any of this.

EDIT: I'll add that you might as well find a good buyer's agent to help you evaluate the property. Since you're apparently from North Carolina (given your heading location), you're likely unfamiliar with local property values--and other key issues. Is there a good water well on the property?

Last edited by jackmichigan; 08-07-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals