Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM

276 posts, read 577,528 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I live in Los Angeles, and I am a few short years away from retirement. I have been looking for a new part-time career, as I don’t want to totally retire, and would like to work part-time to supplement my retirement income and so I can stay active.

Over the past several months, I keep seeing a steady supply of want ads to become a Real Estate Agent, no experience necessary, with free training, lots of perks, and a commission based income of 35K - 100K.

Yet I’m wondering, is there “really” a demand to get new Real Estate Agents in this current economic market? How come some of these real estate companies seem very, very eager to get new unskilled agents?

Since I want to ease into a career change, 35K per year to start would be acceptable to me (working part time) . . . yet I ponder what would I have to do to earn at least 35K per year just starting out in this profession? Yet since this career opportunity is commission based, I wonder how this one company can make a claim of starting at 35K per year?

Any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
highly unlikely

you'd be better off calling around to some offices and seeing if they need someone for admin work a couple hours a day

Old 03-07-2019, 01:49 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post
Hello.

I live in Los Angeles, and I am a few short years away from retirement. I have been looking for a new part-time career, as I don’t want to totally retire, and would like to work part-time to supplement my retirement income and so I can stay active.

Over the past several months, I keep seeing a steady supply of want ads to become a Real Estate Agent, no experience necessary, with free training, lots of perks, and a commission based income of 35K - 100K.

Yet I’m wondering, is there “really” a demand to get new Real Estate Agents in this current economic market? How come some of these real estate companies seem very, very eager to get new unskilled agents?

Since I want to ease into a career change, 35K per year to start would be acceptable to me (working part time) . . . yet I ponder what would I have to do to earn at least 35K per year just starting out in this profession? Yet since this career opportunity is commission based, I wonder how this one company can make a claim of starting at 35K per year?

'Cuz those new, unskilled, agents still pay broker fees whether they produce or not.

When I was starting last year; a veteran agent told me "being a real estate agent is the most expensive job you'll ever have". That was an understatement.

If you actually have a knack for it....yes you can have a good income (not nearly as high as the general public seem to think it is; including me before practicing)....but for most folks they'll spend a significant chunk of money in courses, MLS fees, association fees, brokerage fees, etc.... before earning a dime in commission.

I won the lottery in joining a team that covers quite a few of those costs and provides training, leads, and admin support and even with that....in my first year I'v earned (before taxes) in the lower quartile of the range you mentioned. This still puts me LIGHTYEARS ahead of most of my peers that started at the same time I did last year.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:34 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
"is that working as an agent on a team?"

"where do the clients come from?"

"how many hours are typically worked to get to that $35K?"

Old 03-07-2019, 03:04 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
Quote:
Hello.

Los Angeles is a great city to sell real estate because commissions are high. You could sell 2 or 3 houses and make over $35,000, of course then your Broker takes their split. One of the reasons that Real Estate offices are always looking for "new blood" is because typically the Realtor Broker split will favor the Broker. Your split as a brand new agent could be as low as 50/50, you keep 50% of the commission and your Broker keeps the other half depending of course where your career had taken you previously.

The other reason is most new agents have Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles etc to sell a house to. Those are your gimmes, meaning you really didn't have to earn the job of selling their house you just got it. Then if you fade away and decide real estate sales really isn't where you want to be your Company at least got some revenue out of the deal.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Hello.

If you are near retirement, you should be familiar with the old adage, "If it sounds to good to be true..."

Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:

And you can make $10,000 per month working at home stuffing envelopes.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Fact:Over 85% of people becoming real estate agents fail out of the business, when they use up all their financial assets.

https://www.tomferry.com/blog/87-of-...-real-estate/c

Fact: 20% of agents will sell 80% to 85% of all real estate. That means the other 80% of agents to sell very little real estate.

The agent expenses even if you do not sell anything, is way-way more than most people dream about in their worst nightmare.

Median income first 2 years for agents, is $15,300 per year according to NAR and that is before expenses, which are considerable. That is less than Baristas earn at Starbucks. 

I was an investment real estate broker from 1972 until I finally retired, so understand the business. Before I went into the business, I spent 1 year+ taking real estate and investment courses, and had 18 years big ticket sales behind me. Due to my education and past experience, I sold a smaller 2 year old apartment house to former coworker, and identical one next door my 4th day, and the next week, exchanged a nice newer 16 unit apartment house for down payment on a large irrigated farm. I only could do it due to my experience, and an expensive year long education. If I worked selling single homes to users, I would not have done as well and probably left the business.

When some one advertises $35,000 to $100,000 a year, run don't walk away.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Hello.

You are working for free until you make a sale, well not for free you are actually spending your own money on expenses for free until you make a sale.

Kind of the same reason Uber is always hiring drivers, you pay them from the ride they give you. Uber does not pay you to work you are an independent contractor plus people quit every second.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Part time in RE means only 60 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals