Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Rakin was totally joking. Read the post with your eyes rolling in your head and a sarcastic tone.
Yep, I usually rank in the top 2% in DFW and you don't do that by sitting around all day. Not sure how he missed the sarcasm toward our senseless Govt programs.

But seriously, give me about 10M or more and I could be rich & useless very easy.

It's Wednesday, time for a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It would be fair to include us RE agents in the program paying us to not sell the homes the builders are paid to not build.

I'm good at not selling homes, I'd be rich under this program. I hope I get a new Govt GM car free under this program so I can not show the buyers I'm not selling.

Makes perfect sense to me.
I hate vegetables. I want some of those farm subsidies.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM

49 posts, read 94,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to the author of the chart you posted:

".... the twisting of the lower tail is substantially accounted for by a single, proximate cause, which is rising employment and wages in a category of work that the Census Bureau classifes as service occupations. Service occupations are jobs that involve assisting or caring for others, including: food service workers; security guards; janitors and gardeners, cleaners; home health aides; child care workers; hairdressers and beauticians, and recreation occupations. The least educated and lowest paid categories of employment, the share of U.S. labor hours in service occupations grew by 35 percent between 1980 and 2005, after having been .at or declining in the three prior decades."

Silly? Did you even read the quote from the article that you posted? It agreed that the lower paying jobs/service occupations are rising.

Your quoting an article that wasn't even related to the FIRST graph that clearly showed the decline of the "middle class jobs". If you had reference the correct article you would had seen that indeed it is not silly, but quite serious of where this country is headed.

"The job market itself also has changed. During the crisis, companies slashed millions of middle-skill, middle-wage jobs. That has created a glut of people who can't qualify for highly skilled jobs but have a hard time adjusting to low-pay, unskilled work like the food servers that Pilot Flying J seeks for its truck stops."

Secondly, lets look at the article that you have quoted. ( in bold ) It also agreed that there has been a rise in the "service" occupations" ( i.e. lower paying jobs ). It mentioned that the least educated and lowest paying categories of employment grew by 35% from 1980 to 2005 after declining the previous 3 decades. You have a consumption driven economy where MORE low paying jobs have taken the place of the middle income jobs. Manufacturing is down to around 11/12% of the US economy, and lets not even start talking about our past/current trade policies that got us into this mess. I guess all those companies that have taken their businesses, and jobs overseas must think it was silly too

Most economists agree on the diagnosis. But they diverge on the causes. Many on the left blame the Great ­Stagnation on globalisation. The rise of China, India, Brazil and others has undercut wages in the west and put America’s unskilled, semi-skilled and even skilled workers out of jobs. Think of the typical Detriot car worker 30 years ago, who had a secure middle-class lifestyle, good healthcare and a fat ­pension to look forward to. Today, he lives in Shenzhen.

Another group singles out the explosion of new technology, which has enabled the most routine and easily automated jobs to be replaced by computers. Think of the office assistant, who once took dictation and brewed the coffee. She is now a ­BlackBerry who spends half her life in Starbucks. Or the back office person who, much like those shoemakers in the fairy tale, now stitches your accounts in Bangalore while you sleep.

Silly is believing that the middle class jobs are not being wiped out.

Another nice article for you:

"So Long Middle Class" NY TIMES - August 1, 2010

So long, middle class - NYPOST.com

Last edited by whathousingrecovery?; 08-11-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It would be fair to include us RE agents in the program paying us to not sell the homes the builders are paid to not build.

I'm good at not selling homes, I'd be rich under this program. I hope I get a new Govt GM car free under this program so I can not show the buyers I'm not selling.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
WOW. Looks like some realtors are not much for being entrepreneurs or actually working for a living.
REALTORSâ„¢ are not my favorite people in the world as a species right now. That said, you CAN'T be serious. If you gave me a list of jobs that would suck right about now, real estate agent would be near the top.

The johnny/sally-come-lately's who are dumb as nails and learned the trade while you could sell a treehouse for six figures get no sympathy from me. But there are honest, hard-working people in the industry who have been at it-- doing their best for clients-- for decades. Their livelihood has been decimated. The good ones have all my sympathy. Their jobs are guaranteed to only get harder in the next decade.

I really would wish most of this on anybody, seasoned real estate agents included.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Meant to say WOULDN'T wish this on anybody.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I wanna not sell homes too. Where do I sign up?
Don't give the administration any ideas like this or you will could find yourself 'unionized' before you know it....

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
I calculate a bottom around 2013. As for getting "better", it may take generations for the collective memories of this disaster to fade.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
for my market, the peak was 2007. The decline just started shortly after fall '08, and we are still headed southward as of summer 2010.

the common person on the street doesn't know when our peak was, though; I've been told anywhere from 2000 to 2007.

the common person on the street thinks prices are at 1990's levels. I saw a mortgage broker advertising this the other day in a magazine, that prices are at 1995 levels right now. I emailed him and told him that prices were in fact at 2005 levels, per the local NAR/MLS, and he wrote back and apologized for the decade-long, ~40% price mistake.

the common person on the street will tell you that the bottom is right now. Locals have been saying that to my face, since spring of 2008. They'll get this possessed look in their eyes, and lean in as if to tell a secret and say, "You know prices have never been this low? And interest rates are low too, and they're going up eventually." I smile and don't say anything about the houses i'm looking at that were $120k pre-bubble, $300k at bubble, and now $225k. I expect they will be saying that in 2012. I would not be surprised if they are saying that in 2014.

but what can you expect? i talked to a guy the other day who lost about 30% of the value of his investment rental condo (condos have taken a beating here). he is psychogically incapable of thinking that this might be a long-term problem. he NEEDS to believe that it can, and will, turn around any day now. I'm not about to argue with somebody like him; he needs his optimism. But me? I think this could go on for years.

Last edited by le roi; 08-13-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM

74 posts, read 116,427 times
Well thanks to dear old uncle Sam you can tack-on another 2-4 years of decline prices from your best projections. gov is killing America as we know it, the scary part is and I'm afraid Americans are so gullible to the facts that their actually going to allow it to happen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate