Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM

62 posts, read 148,115 times

Advertisements

This is generally directed towards investors looking for positive cash flow opportunities in growing markets, but I would love the insight of residential homeowners as well as their input and opinions on jobs, health, education, etc. in an area make a big difference.

In your opinion, what areas of the US will experience the most population and job growth and currently pose the best investment opportunities?

You don't have to name big cities like NYC that are going to add millions of residents, I am more looking for under the radar ideas.

Texas for example is perhaps viewed as the best opportunities with growing cities both large and small. But with SO many people excited about Texas, the contrarian in me wants to look elsewhere.

I know the trend, which can be measured by the mean center of the population, is moving South and West. this doesn't mean the areas an the Northeast will be abandoned by any means. But the truth is that population trends towrds the "Sun Belt" - especially retirees.

Now my view is not focused solely on investing where babyboomers retiress want to move but also immigrants, minorities and general population growth. I want to find the best palces to buy and hold for generation Y and beyond. This means jobs, education, and health/safety.

I see some under the radar opportunity in Missouri, Alabama, and the Carolinas. I'm looking for areas with good demographics, employers moving into the area due to incentives (or at least not leaving), quality education and healthcare facilities.

What opportunities and areas of growth do you see that you would be comfortable buying and holding cash flowing investments for the LONG TERM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Commodities - Latest Trading Prices and Data from CNNMoney.com

well, looking at the 1-year price fluctuations of rice, cotton, beans, et cetera, one gets the impression that certain types of agricultural land might be a good purchase.

and that the most productive agricultural land, for your dollar, will likely be somewhere with awful demographics, that the R/E bubble missed because nobody actually wanted to live there.

Bishopville, SC - Google Maps

but im no expert.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Birmington/Huntsville Alabama

It's all about the property taxes.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Birmington/Huntsville Alabama

It's all about the property taxes.

Can't say I've been to Birmington.

I did hear about this place called Birmingham, and this fellow named Langford, who tried to bankrupt the place not too long ago. Rock solid governance they have over there.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 PM

62 posts, read 148,115 times
middle aged mom,

Are you a RE agent in and around Huntsville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate