Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times

Advertisements

Here's the scenario:

We have a house for sale and on Monday a realtor showed a lady the house. We didn't know this until afterwards, but the realtor who showed the house (not who we have it listed with) turned out to be my son's speech therapist from about 45 minutes away where we take him every week.

Now we have been told that the person was interested and that they will be coming back with their husband sometime. We are having an open house on Sunday also.

So, say a scenario like this plays out, where someone makes an offer at the open house on Sunday. Is it alright to call the realtor (the person we know) who showed the house on Monday to let them know we have an offer coming in and if the people she showed the house to want it, they should probably act pretty quickly?

Obviously this would be a great scenario for us as sellers, but is this sort of thing frowned upon (not that I particularly care, because Im looking out for my best interests, hence more than 1 offer would be great)? The realtor we have it listed with has no clue that we know the person who showed the house.

Any thoughts on if this would be deemed alright to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Personally, I would wait & see if you get any offers from your open house. You do not have to respond to the offer the second it comes in. If this buyer is serious she will not drag her feet about bringing her husband or making an offer.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Personally, I would wait & see if you get any offers from your open house. You do not have to respond to the offer the second it comes in. If this buyer is serious she will not drag her feet about bringing her husband or making an offer.
Well, obviously this wouldn't happen until another offer, but it is only 4 days away so time is running short before it, and we were told that the husband works odd hours.

Your response doesn't really answer my question though, I am more concerned about it being frowned upon or something I shouldn't do that I would be calling the realtor that showed the house (since we know her) rather than going through our realtor to tell him to do this for us.

Obviously this is speculation on an offer coming in, but I think we have a very good chance of it on Sunday.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
I think your situation should be addressed in your listing agreement. Generally it says that any contact with buyers or their agents will be handled by your agent. Also, from a practical standpoint, your listing agent should be the one to call the buyer's agent. Even though you know the buyer's agent personally, you could jeopardize your negotiating power. Your agent is in the best position to negotiate the best price for your home. Anything that you might unknowingly let slip could compromise your getting the best price for your home.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I would wait for the open to see what happens because you may be counting your chickens before they hatch.

What if the other lady wants to low ball you?

If you have interest with the open house, then deal with the other person. Have your agent call their agent saying an offer is or is coming in and did their buyer want to have that 2nd look.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
You should not be calling the other Realtor - tell YOUR agent to do it.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
You should not be calling the other Realtor - tell YOUR agent to do it.
That to me just seems like an extra uneeded step and potential valuable time waster.

I would agree if we didn't know the other agent personally, but not sure. Im just hoping I do come across this dilemma as it would mean we at least got 1 offer.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:31 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
Pgh and Gretchen are right...it's best to let your agent handle the situation....and the relationship you have with the other agent is all the more reason to let the agent you chose to represent you do her job. Suppose you end up sharing something with the other agent that should be kept confidential? What will your relationship be like if she uses that information to her client's advantage? Are you going to be OK with it, or will you end up finding a new speech therapist because the other agent protected her client's interests?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
Pgh and Gretchen are right...it's best to let your agent handle the situation....and the relationship you have with the other agent is all the more reason to let the agent you chose to represent you do her job. Suppose you end up sharing something with the other agent that should be kept confidential? What will your relationship be like if she uses that information to her client's advantage? Are you going to be OK with it, or will you end up finding a new speech therapist because the other agent protected her client's interests?
What type of info do you guys think I would be divulging? The only thing that would be being told is that an offer is coming in and to let her clients know.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:23 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,020 times
i think when (if) an offer comes in, just mention to your realtor that so and so, who happens to be your friend, should receive a followup call, since she is your friend and all. your agent probably has called her already to get her feedback from the client. ask her what so and so said about here clients did they like it or not?? if your realtor says the clients pretty much ruled it out, then no need to mention it, right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate