Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 37,515 times

Advertisements

i'm refinancing my mortgage and the appraisal has come back significantly less than expected and my ltv is 90%, which means i'm paying mi (i'd rather avoid this!).

i've been talking to two banks about the refinance and had chosen the one to go with, hence the appraisal. now the second bank is suggesting i pay for their appraisal in the hope that their appraiser will find more value. "for $385, you might as well roll the dice, you could save yourself a lot of money." to be fair he has found some comps that appear to suggest the first appraisal might have been a bit conservative.

does anyone have any thoughts or comments? my initial reaction is that it's a waste of money. can there be material differences between two appraisers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
There can be a difference since an appraisal is an opinion of market value. But probably not enough of a difference to get to that 80% LTV that you will probably need to avoid PMI. So, probably a waste of money but MAYBE not.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 37,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
There can be a difference since an appraisal is an opinion of market value. But probably not enough of a difference to get to that 80% LTV that you will probably need to avoid PMI. So, probably a waste of money but MAYBE not.
thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Why don't you see if you can contest the appraisal first? Some appraisers are open to listening to reason if you provide facts to them that change their outlook. Of course, some appraisers will get a God complex too and won't listen to a thing anyone has to say, even if their appraisal is horribly inaccurate.

I'd try contesting it first.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
We refinanced our mortgage last summer. The appraisal came back ridiculously low even for this market. I wrote a letter to our mortgage broker (whom is a great guy by the way) including detailed comments on every mistake she made (she said we had a metal roof, we don't; she said several things that were just plain wrong) on her boilerplate template "report". It was not only sloppy it was in error. She used ONLY REOs and SSs as her comps - no regular sales of which there were plenty. We patently rejected the Appraisal and demanded another one. Our broker ended up getting us another lender who did not even require an appraisal on a refi of an owner occupied home. AND we didn't pay for the first appraisal either.

Yes, you can certainly reject and contest this appraisal but you need a realtor or someone with a lot of knowledge and access to MLS to write the letter for you.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 AM

290 posts, read 573,210 times
A second opinion (Appraisal) is the best route to take, unless you feel as though the first Appraisal may be accurate.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Cant pick and choose comps.
The First Appraiser used those comps for a reason.
The Second appraiser will probably find and use the same comps.
Comps need to be near the subject property in location and time.
A good appraisal will use local, recent, comps that bracket the subject property in size and condition.
appraisals can generally vary by 1 or 2 percent and still be considered valid.
you wont get a 10% difference.
Appraisers can now be held liable.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Cant pick and choose comps.
The First Appraiser used those comps for a reason.
The Second appraiser will probably find and use the same comps.
Comps need to be near the subject property in location and time.
A good appraisal will use local, recent, comps that bracket the subject property in size and condition.
appraisals can generally vary by 1 or 2 percent and still be considered valid.
you wont get a 10% difference.
Appraisers can now be held liable.
Since when is bracketing an appraisal issue?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Since when is bracketing an appraisal issue?
The most important criteria for comps is proximity to the subject property, Similarity to the subject property, and recently sold.
Bracketing is one additional indication that an appraiser picked good representative comps.
Underwriters like to see it.
Shows the appraiser didn't cherry pick from the available comps.
By Bracketing I mean that if possible, within the comps that meet the above criteria of proximity, similarity, and time, there would be one sold comp of lower price, one sold comp of comparable price and one sold comp of higher price.
Makes underwriters feel all warm and fuzzy.

And to get back to my main point.
The appraiser picked the comps for a reason.
Proximity, similarity, and time.
Which means that any other appraiser is going to be using these same comps.
And allowing for the subjective nature of an appraisal the most you can expect is plus or minus 1% or 2%.

I know because we just went through a transaction where the appraisal came in low.

Last edited by tigger37708; 04-08-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM

71 posts, read 125,152 times
Get one or two Realtors to do a broker's price opinion. They usually know values better than appraisers and they will do it for free. If they come up with the same number, show the new appraiser the realtors work.
Remember, Appraisers do a report according to Fannie Mae guidelines. You remember Fannie Mae? The big company that destroyed the housing market and is now bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate