Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 PM

20 posts, read 84,931 times

Advertisements

So, I just recently served my tenant his 5 day or Quit notice, then the very next day, I got an email from his attorney saying that he has filed for BK. I checked, and he's doing a ch. 7, their is a case # and everything.

When I ask if his client (My tenant) is planning on assuming or relieving his lease, the attorney says that he has rejected the lease and will move out by the end of July within the 30 day stay period.

From what I've researched so far is that I should file to lift the automatic stay, which will take me 30 days or so to even get a court hearing. If I don't file the motion, it is possible for the attorney to file to extend the automatic stay and have my tenant live there even longer.

Also, my lease "contract" clearly states that if my tenant terminates his lease early, that he will surrender all deposits made to the landlord. The letter I got from his attorney says that he expects his security deposit back less repair cost. Does a BK void all contracts or something?

Have you guys had any similar situations?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,892 times
Time for your own attorney?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,911,833 times
Seriouisly, this is just plain screwed up. The landlord has to pay $2000 to get $1000.

Reminds me of the time I was ordered to pay child support and the ex left the state and the child with me. I had to hire an attorney to stop the paypments........(I ultimately researched it myself what needed to be done)

Our court systems stink. The avereage person can't make a move without paying through the nose.

And, thanks for reminding me about a letter long overdue to the Clerk of the Court.......it seems the only words one employee knows to be helpful, "hire an attorney." I think I figured out why, too. Because if I didn't, she may have to type too much.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:28 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,335 times
What state do you live in? You should follow up with an attorney. But in CA depending on what county you live in the eviction process will take some time and it doesn't matter if the person filed for bankruptcy. In GA it doesn't matter if the tenant filed bankruptcy you can evict the tenant in less than a week, it is a very simple process.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Landlord Security Deposits In Bankruptcy: Can the Trustee Take It?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDatak View Post
So, I just recently served my tenant his 5 day or Quit notice, then the very next day, I got an email from his attorney saying that he has filed for BK. I checked, and he's doing a ch. 7, their is a case # and everything.

When I ask if his client (My tenant) is planning on assuming or relieving his lease, the attorney says that he has rejected the lease and will move out by the end of July within the 30 day stay period.

From what I've researched so far is that I should file to lift the automatic stay, which will take me 30 days or so to even get a court hearing. If I don't file the motion, it is possible for the attorney to file to extend the automatic stay and have my tenant live there even longer.

Also, my lease "contract" clearly states that if my tenant terminates his lease early, that he will surrender all deposits made to the landlord. The letter I got from his attorney says that he expects his security deposit back less repair cost. Does a BK void all contracts or something?

Have you guys had any similar situations?
Thanks in advance.
In my state, that clause would be deemed invalid regardless of the bankruptcy.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,647 times
Same here- that clause is a 'no go' in my state as well. Better bone up on your state's Landlord/Tenant laws, OP .... you're gonna run afoul of a rule if you don't. They're usually very specific vis-a-vis damage deposits, normal wear and tear, strict time limits for notices to tenants, etc. etc.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Personally I would spend a few bucks and get the advice of an attorney with renting experience. Don't let the other attorney just dictate what you should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate